House Price Crash Forum

Cctv At Petrol Stations Will Automatically Stop Uninsured Cars Being Filled With Fuel

cashinmattress

HOLA441

link

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance

Cameras at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured or untaxed vehicles from being filled with fuel, under new government plans.

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance.

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras are already fitted in thousands of petrol station forecourts.

Drivers can only fill their cars with fuel once the camera has captured and logged the vehicle’s number plate.

Currently the system is designed to deter motorists from driving off without paying for petrol.

But under the new plans, the cameras will automatically cross-refererence with the DVLA’s huge database.

When a car is flagged as being uninsured or untaxed, the system will prevent the fuel pump being used on that vehicle.

The proposals will have a huge impact - forcing drivers to insure and tax their car if they want to drive.

One in 25 drivers in the UK do not have insurance - one of the worst records in western Europe.

According to recent figures, around 160 people are killed and 23,000 injured by uninsured and untraced drivers every year.

Downing Street officials are due to meet representatives from the major fuel companies in the next few weeks to discuss the idea.

But some petrol retailers said the proposals were a “step too far” - claiming they put cashiers at risk.

Brian Madderson, from RMI Petrol, which represents independent petrol stations, said: “Staff are already getting stick from motorists for high fuel prices.

“This proposal will increase the potential for conflict. Our cashiers are not law enforcers.”

Not sure as to the validly of this story, by the source. Having said that, it's a wake up call to all those who've thought that Britain's innumerable CCTV cameras were just going to be a benign part of the UK landscape.

placa-de-george-orwell1.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

That's a job for the Ministry of 'we never think things through'.

Tractor production might go up!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/864501-teen-quoted-17k-for-car-insurance-resorts-to-driving-tractor

After he was unable to find an affordable premium, the 18-year-old turned to his family’s 1953 Fordson Major tractor, which he was able to insure for just £57.

The four-litre beast can reach a top speed of 40mph and is exempt from MoTs. ‘If I had the choice, I’d would have my car – I can go further in it and it would be much better in the rain,’ said Chris, from Astley Bridge, Bolton.

HOLA448
HOLA449

If it will also stop the scrotes coming in with a petrol can to fill up their illegal little b*starding motorbike things then I'm all for it.

Using police time watching roadside traffic to stop uninsured cars is silly when there's a much more effective way of doing it.

Almost all cars need petrol so stop them getting petrol and you instantly remove them from the road.

HOLA4410

So they will be banning petrol can sales then? What happens if you run out of fuel?

I'd say that's there problem. Maybe a long walk to the petrol station will give them time to think about driving without insurance. I'm not a fan of Big Brother or big government policies but I support this one. Whether this will result in my premiums coming down is a different matter.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

If it stops uninsured drivers on the road, then *intheory* it's a great idea. However, there are too many "what if"'s as mentioned above.

The more sinister element to this is that the Government are then able to track vehicle movements, and draw their own conclusions as to what your intentions are / were. (*)

Fancy getting a dawn visit by armed cops? Just have a suspicious refuelling pattern....

* Not that they can't / don't do this already, with the roadside surveilance / traffic cameras... :ph34r:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

When did I give the DVLA permission to give out personal details to petrol station workers?

Not that a lack of permission will stop them of course... <_<

They don't have to - just send the image(s) to the DVLA, then the DVLA comes back with a "computer says no". No petrol station knowledge required.

HOLA4421

When did I give the DVLA permission to give out personal details to petrol station workers?

Not that a lack of permission will stop them of course... <_<

Why not go one step further, and just include it in general taxation?

Think I'd prefer to stick with this system, thanks.

HOLA4422

Do people on here really think that the main purpose is Car Insurance???

That people without Car Insurance wont find a way around this.

It is really Simple -

They take away your freedom a little at a time, by telling you it's for your own good, scare you by bringing out a different pantomine villain each time.

You fall for it every time, even beg to be protected from the horible word out there.

Because it' never affects you," your a decent law abiding citizen"

What we have is a network that crosses the whole country leading up to every house.

First the motorway -passive traffic control cameras .

Then the towns - Crime.

A and B Roads -petrol stations -insurance.

But how will they get to your door is the question - post boxes,parking meters...... no just stick a gizmo in the car or better still in the slave

Clock in Clock out

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

A better scheme IMHO: use smartcards.

Insurer issues a smartcard to insured driver. Driver uses smartcard + PIN to fill up.

Filling up without a smartcard is allowed, but subject to an insurance charge set and administered by the insurance industry, so it'll be set for the most dangerous drivers leaving pretty-much everyone better-off with regular insurance and the smartcard.

Refinements on the scheme: smartcard piggybacks on regular credit or debit cards, so you don't have more crap to carry around.

HOLA4425

Archived