House Price Crash Forum

It's 0.25% Bump Every Month Boe Base Rate Thread ----Merged.

HOLA441
  • Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
  • 1 month later...
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2573922/Youre-mug-save-warns-financial-expert-says-Bank-Englands-rock-bottom-rates-low-long.html

However, she acknowledged that the upside of low rates has been that mortgage borrowers were left hundreds or thousands of pounds better off than they might have been.

Getting the keys: First-time buyers with low deposits have benefitted from the Bank's low rates

Benefited by making houses even more unaffordable?

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I really neve

I really never thought they'd be allowed to continue this madness this long.

Who do I vote for to get rid of the independent ( from the population ) Boe ?

A 1% rise in base rates will knock 2% off GDP, effectively putting the UK back into recession, so this side of a hyperinflation rates are never going to hit 1.5% again. If the London bubble has peaked then economic activity will slow markedly in H2 and it's possible we won't see so much as a token 0.25% hike before 2020.

HOLA4412

I was reading something recently suggesting US would not have unwound their QE until 2020 and I believe they've said they won't raise rates until QE unwound. So could be 2020 all round for first rate hike.

Does make you wonder if the 2% tracker a better option than the 3% 5yr fixed.

Edited by terryturbojr

HOLA4413

A 1% rise in base rates will knock 2% off GDP, effectively putting the UK back into recession, so this side of a hyperinflation rates are never going to hit 1.5% again. If the London bubble has peaked then economic activity will slow markedly in H2 and it's possible we won't see so much as a token 0.25% hike before 2020.

Nothing I see changes my view that the UK is in a mess and the best possible course of action is to leave....

HOLA4414

I think that there is also the fun possibility of a 'rush for the exits'. IRs go up 0.5%.. lots of people who have been on base-rate linked trackers/SVR suddenly notice that interest rates can go up. Stampede for fixed-rate deals leads to lots of deals being oversubscribed/withdrawn..

Still, by 2020 I'll only have 6 years left on the mortgage..

HOLA4415

Low interest rates = malinvestment & inflation of housing, energy and food prices = hollowing out of productive industry and brain drain = Britain withering to insignificance

All thanks to the political parties who are elected to govern in our best interests.

HOLA4416

I think that there is also the fun possibility of a 'rush for the exits'. IRs go up 0.5%.. lots of people who have been on base-rate linked trackers/SVR suddenly notice that interest rates can go up. Stampede for fixed-rate deals leads to lots of deals being oversubscribed/withdrawn..

In a burning building...who gets out first ? Them that's keeping an eye on what's happened and are stood near the exits. When the rush starts not many get out.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4417

Where are these people rushing to the exit's going to live?

HOLA4418

2020. We will be running balanced to surplus budgets in public sector by then. :) Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It's almost as if they are utterly fecked no matter what they do..... Thank god we are just going la la la la and pretending nothing is wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27715042

BBC keen to dampen down fears....... 'analysts not expecting a rate rise until next year'

Yes, 24% devaluation of your wages and savings relative to house prices is a good thing.

These people should be locked up with their corrupt banker friends.