House Price Crash Forum

Sales Of New Vehicles At Lowest For Decade

HOLA441
HOLA442

Separately, the SMMT revealed that sales of new cars fell by 3.7 per cent in December compared with the year before, leaving the total sales for 2011 at their lowest level in more than a decade.

Last year's sales also represent a 25 per cent decline on their 2003 peak, when 2.58 million new vehicles were registered.'

Back to 1994 levels according to a Guardian article the other day: UK car sales fall to lowest since 1994

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest tbatst2000

I wonder how much of this is down to cars being so much better than they once were? 30 years ago, a five year old car was likely to be rusty and unreliable whereas now, so long as its been serviced regularly, it won't seem that much different to a new one.

HOLA446

I wonder how much of this is down to cars being so much better than they once were? 30 years ago, a five year old car was likely to be rusty and unreliable whereas now, so long as its been serviced regularly, it won't seem that much different to a new one.

Many people used to get new cars every two or three years purely for the 'status', at least where I lived. Remember the fuss made over the new reg plates. Keeping up with the Jones' crap.

HOLA447
Guest tbatst2000

Many people used to get new cars every two or three years purely for the 'status', at least where I lived. Remember the fuss made over the new reg plates. Keeping up with the Jones' crap.

Absolutely, but that's not what I was getting at. If you have a 3-5 year old car now, keeping it for another year is a no-brainer financially since, unless you've done stupendous mileage, it's likely to still look more or less new and be entirely reliable. I'm thinking that, when people decide what to spend the money they do have, pushing a new car down the list is a much easier call than it once was. If you add car hire companies keeping cars a bit longer into the mix, then I can see it would make a material difference.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Absolutely, but that's not what I was getting at. If you have a 3-5 year old car now, keeping it for another year is a no-brainer financially since, unless you've done stupendous mileage, it's likely to still look more or less new and be entirely reliable. I'm thinking that, when people decide what to spend the money they do have, pushing a new car down the list is a much easier call than it once was. If you add car hire companies keeping cars a bit longer into the mix, then I can see it would make a material difference.

Might be worth looking to see if there are any good deals, though, if your current car is getting a bit long in the tooth.

HOLA4410
Guest tbatst2000

The total number of cars on the road is falling:

http://www.telegraph...-World-War.html

Hmmm, 0.7% is a small drop. Also, how does this work?

The Government's scrappage scheme, which allowed drivers who traded in a 10-year-old car received a £2,000 subsidy towards a new one, was a major reason for the drop.

Surely for every car traded in, a new one was bought, which should have no impact on the total numbers unless a material number of the new ones were then exported.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

This has been on the cards ever since the labour loonies brought forward years of private new car purchases with their car industry scrap-age gift.

The effectively bailed out the car industry and kept it going for a couple of years in the hope it would recover...now their industry will now be reliant on hand outs or will fall apart, making it much worse that it would have been.

Sounds familliar :rolleyes:

HOLA4415

This has been on the cards ever since the labour loonies brought forward years of private new car purchases with their car industry scrap-age gift.

The effectively bailed out the car industry and kept it going for a couple of years in the hope it would recover...now their industry will now be reliant on hand outs or will fall apart, making it much worse that it would have been.

Sounds familliar :rolleyes:

True, though it was all about the election, to be seen to be doing something for those hard working families, escape the ignomy of recession - not us folks here's some money borrowed from the children.

Bringing forward demand, like spending tomorrow's money today is delusional if the fundamentals aren't talked about or addressed.

Unfortunately, the currently crop of politicians can't help themselves but to interfere in everything.

HOLA4416

No surprises in this news. Banks tightening up on all kinds of lending, petrol costs sky high, spiralling car insurance costs. Most families who were running 2 cars will be questioning whether both are necessary.

I used to buy brand new or pre-reg cars but I've taken to buying ex-demonstrators for huge discounts off the list price for a couple of thousand miles. Mind you, I'm more at the Fiat end of the market, rather than the Ferrari. I have noticed the ultimate bling purchase, the Porsche Cayenne, much less in evidence round my way. Property developers must have all gone bust.

HOLA4417

They mentioned this on the radio the other day. However, they also mentioned that production and exports were UP.

Falling consumption, rising production. Whats not to like?

This is the rebalancing we need.

The actual stats? The economy was rebalancing until the bankrupt of england stepped in.

UK-trade-in-goods-and-services-February-2011.jpg

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Yep, remember well, one of the first questions you get asked at a party "so what you driving?"

HOLA4420

Can't help thinking the govt is killing the golden goose with stupid high taxation on fuel and company cars.

Too true.

Our household has already responded to the price signals from government.

Our household fuel tax contribution has dropped by over 60% in the last 6 months.

HOLA4421

I do a bit of work ( ever decreasing might I add) in the steel industry and I can tell you that it is going to get worse on the car sales front as the order book for the automotive side is VERY depressed

But On the plus side the tin plate side is doing well baked beans anyone ,I kid you not as most of the tin plate side goes to the tined food industry

HOLA4422

I've noticed a drop in the number of max power / souped up gary boy cars roarsting about my town. A few years ago every night they'd be dozens of young lads 'cruising' around, and Saturday night they'd buzz round all night with the sound of dump valves and chirruping waste gates thick in the air!. I was driving through town at about 2:30am this Saturday and apart from a few taxi's there was no one about at all.

I guess punitive insurance + high fuel costs + non existant / uncertain / low paid work is a killer combo, and the scappage of thousands of perfectly serviceable 'old' cars that would have normally been available doesn't help either.

I can remember passing my test at 17, I couldn't wait to get a car, as soon as I got a job my dad bought me an Austin Maestro 1.3L (deal was he'd buy it but I had to have a job to pay to run it). I loved that car, and virtually all my mates had similar old bangers - happy days!

I guess I was lucky to be 18 when (early 1990's) the cost of running a car was MUCH less than it is now relative to earnings for the average 18 yr old, because I could run a car fairly easily on a pretty crap wage (living at home mind you).

Yet another way the 'yoof' of today have been shafted I suppose, on top of housing, student fees etc etc - they must be (justifiably) really P155ed off!!

HOLA4423

My car is 15 years old and thankfully passed the mot on saturday morning with no advisories. Aircon and heated seats still work, my abilities as a driver have deteriorated more than my car has... Keep on top of oil changes and had to replace the mass air flow meter this year but I've no reason to replace it. Audi a3.

HOLA4424

Just to fight a bit of the negativity on here:

Car sales are not the same as car production. Most cars produced in the UK are exported (and most cars bought are imported)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/apr/14/uk-car-production-manufacturing-data-2011

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financevideo/8992185/Nissan-will-aim-to-beat-2011-Sunderland-production-record-despite-more-difficult-conditions-in-2012.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16440548

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8988142/Jaguar-Land-Rover-to-expand-Merseyside-plant-and-add-1500-jobs.html

Buying (/consuming) less cars and exporting more is surely what most people on this site would consider good news....

Edited by gadget

HOLA4425