House Price Crash Forum

What's The Worse Thing Coming Up?

Trampa501

HOLA441

For me, I fear the breakdown of international trade - whether it be a trade war of retaliation, or a breakdown in trading currencies. We would face a double whammy of far more unemployed, coupled with major shortages from food stuffs to parts for cars, buses etc. Subsistence living is bad enough when you have some land to exploit (potatoes, rabbits, berries etc). What are 25 million in overcrowded south-east England going to eat?

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but I fear it may.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Mainly the thought of running out of food, but biological warfare/eugenics. I wouldn't put it past the Government.

Petrol shortage doesn't fuss me too much - people might have to walk, shock horror. As long as mentioned above the lorries can keep moving!

HOLA446

In chronological order:

- The default of bigger eurozone countries: Spain and even Italy (the euro was always doomed to fail without fiscal transfers, which Germany will not allow)

- The default/devaluation of the United States:- there's no way they can run 11% deficits for long, and if they cut spending the resulting recession will be so bad they can't pay back their existing debt.

- The default/devalution of Japan: This year was the first year that they pension system was a net seller of Japanese Government Bonds. As the big cohort of old people start to retire they need to sell their bonds for cash. So who does the government sell it's bond to? No foreign investor will touch them at such low yields.

Other than that, everything will be hunky-dory :D

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

With a weapon you just incapacitate a chav by shooting him in the leg, tie the leg off and tie him up in your basement, then hunt a few more chavs. Every week or so you can butcher one of them and feed the offal to the others. Thus negating the need for refrigeration it stays fresh for a long time.

I had wondered how, in the film of The Road, the cannibals with the human larder in the basement kept them alive – if there’s no food then how can you feed people whom you’re going to eat yourself? – but now you have enlightened me: they get the offal. Thank you for clearing that one up!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

2 year waiting list for an allotment where I am :(

Why don't you build a time machine and come back in 1960? That or just shut up and work to pay for older people to retire for 30 years. Then when you get to that age you can work for another 20 then die.

We'd love to create some more allotments but it's a small island. Greeen belt etc.

Boom baby boom.

HOLA4413

So Ken, have you decided on what to go for first - male, female? Caucasians, Asians, Africas? Is a blonde fat chick tastier than a thin brunette?

Nigella Lawson perhaps?

Just think out loud in your sick little twisted universe. Have you stocked up on Uncle Ben's sweet and sour sauce?

:lol:

HOLA4414

Its called cannibalism, in hard times people will usually turn to it after few days.

The Chinese turned to it enmasse in the great leapforward famine. Initially all animals dogs, cats, worms, insects would be eaten. What would happen is they would turn on the village idiot and his family and eat them. Once he had been eaten trumped up charges were made on other innocents who were executed then eaten. Then people would trade each others children and butcher them and eat them. Passing travellers also vanished and were eaten. It is very well documented the CCP doesn't like to talk about it.

The Russians and Germans turned to cannibalism on the Eastern front. A bunch of Chiliean blokes stuck in the mountains turned to cannibalism after a few days.

Which is why I don't particularly fear starvation. When the above happens you need a weapon or guile. I have both.

With a weapon you just incapacitate a chav by shooting him in the leg, tie the leg off and tie him up in your basement, then hunt a few more chavs. Every week or so you can butcher one of them and feed the offal to the others. Thus negating the need for refrigeration it stays fresh for a long time.

#With guile, you can be sneaky though it causes storage problems.... i.e. you 'club together for security' and take the first watch. None of your companions survive the night. It causes storage problems though.

OK, regarding storage problems - let's not talk of problems shall we - you can go back to the old method of storing "consumables" in the old ice house. Ultimately an outside larder a few steps down underground, sorted. You may need to keep an eye on pest control, and impending madness, but otherwise your worries will be far far away. Perhaps you could keep the heads for something to talk to.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

poster15_lg.jpg

Sucker, the UK JIT and warehouses on wheels means the UK has about 2 weeks supply of food, if that, remember when Felixstowe was closed due to the weather.

You reckon you can grow enough in 20 days (before starvation sets in) to feed yourself. As said a lot of people don't want to admit it but long pig is the only answer to a sudden food shock.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The worst nightmare for me would be being forced to remarry and have to see my ex-mother in law again. Anarchy and cannabalism would be preferable. :unsure:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

For me, I fear the breakdown of international trade - whether it be a trade war of retaliation, or a breakdown in trading currencies. We would face a double whammy of far more unemployed, coupled with major shortages from food stuffs to parts for cars, buses etc. Subsistence living is bad enough when you have some land to exploit (potatoes, rabbits, berries etc). What are 25 million in overcrowded south-east England going to eat?

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but I fear it may.

As posted by someone on another thread Marc Faber has this theory of oil wars. No armageddon but I can only imagine what this would do to oil prices. It's credible IMO.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

...yes ..it would be more like the cod wars...local in the North Sea.... :rolleyes:

I hear we're running out of oil real quick over there, this would only accelerate an inevitable process.

HOLA4425

I hear we're running out of oil real quick over there, this would only accelerate an inevitable process.

...a lot of places are running out ...the potential trouble spots are the new drill areas e.g. the South China Sea where China has been accused of ruining Vietnam drilling equipment ..and of course the North Polar area claimed by Russia and Norway and Finland etc... :rolleyes:

Archived