House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442

Notice the bit about buying on Moscow exchange 'for now'. I wonder what the reaction would be if Russia entered the New York/London gold markets with billions to spend and insisted on delivery?

Russia buys 839,000 ozs of gold in July as it diversifies reserves from USD

• 25-ton addition brings Russia’s Central Bank holdings to 1,969 tons; the world's 5th largest gold reserves
  • Central bank buying Russian gold on Moscow Exchange for now
  • Russia sees gold’s role as independent currency and safe haven as is a “100% guarantee from legal and political risks”
  • Russia now has total gold reserves worth  just $76 billion; Dumped $90 billion of US Treasuries in April and May

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-21/russia-buys-over-800000-ounces-gold-july-it-dumps-us-treasuries

Edited by Errol

HOLA443
10 minutes ago, Errol said:

Notice the bit about buying on Moscow exchange 'for now'. I wonder what the reaction would be if Russia entered the New York/London gold markets with billions to spend and insisted on delivery?

Hardly sporting, chaps!

Have you bought any more at these prices Errol? I am tempted.

HOLA444
On 21/08/2018 at 19:36, Errol said:

............I wonder what the reaction would be if Russia entered the New York/London gold markets with billions to spend and insisted on delivery.........

Still pushing the gatagoons nonsense I see.

If Russia bought on the world markets, the gold would be delivered. The ridiculous part of your post is hinting that there is no gold to deliver, if Russia bought on the open market it would help raise the price, same as demand ever does, that's all.

But were your comment goes way off the radar,  is failing to acknowledge that they can't buy easily on the world market. Do you not comprehend how the sanctions on Russia operate.

Anyway, I hope you got the GCSE results you wanted today..._

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, starclouds said:

USD DXY down, US consumer sentiment up and gold now being smashed back below $1,200.

Completely rigged market - probably US central banking interests.

Yup - as reliable an indicator as a Gartman call :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, Errol said:

Latest Maund update - 

THE NOW SUPER BULLISH GOLD & SILVER SETUP DOES NOT BODE WELL FOR THE DOLLAR...

https://www.clivemaund.com/article.php?id=4744

If the emerging market bloodbath continues and especially if it affects the wider banking system then the dollar will keep rising and gold will fall hard.

For this chart prediction to be accurate something will need to cause the dollar to fall? I can only think of the FED pausing or even reversing rate rises.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The graphic shows the net short position of non-commercials (managed money, other institutional pools of investment money and retail traders) in gold futures, 10yr Treasury futures and VIX futures. It’s the largest bet in history by speculators that gold and 10yr Treasury bonds will go a lot lower and the stock market will go a lot higher (volatility declines as stocks rise so a short-VIX bet is a bet stocks go higher).

When positioned at an extreme like this, speculators are always wrong

Untitled.png?resize=441%2C305

http://investmentresearchdynamics.com/gold-and-silver-are-set-up-to-soar/

Edited by Errol

HOLA4412
Just now, Errol said:

The graphic shows the net short position of non-commercials (managed money, other institutional pools of investment money and retail traders) in gold futures, 10yr Treasury futures and VIX futures. It’s the largest bet in history by speculators that gold and 10yr Treasury bonds will go a lot lower and the stock market will go a lot higher (volatility declines as stocks rise so a short-VIX bet is a bet stocks go higher).

When positioned at an extreme like this, speculators are always wrong

Untitled.png?resize=441%2C305

http://investmentresearchdynamics.com/gold-and-silver-are-set-up-to-soar/

Eventually but you need to get the timing right.

Gold is getting killed today. Smashed.

HOLA4413

If I thought the USD rally would end anytime soon and believed that the paper market is not completely rigged I would think major gold miners at the moment are an insanely good buy, some are at 10-15 year lows.

Problems are:

1) How do crypto's affect things?

2) I think things are completely rigged

3) I see the USD soaring as a strategic move in the same vain as the trade war Trump has started

It is hard not to believe that suppressing gold is a priority for central bankers and they will kill it stone dead if they can.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 04/09/2018 at 16:44, Errol said:

Eh? Down no more that $8-9 currently on my screen. Smashed would be down $100+. The movements at the moment are an irrelevance.

The miners have been relentlessly sold between 10-15% down since this post. Already pricing in $1,100 and below.

When is the turnaround? I thought your charts were predicting it is imminent? 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Got family in the area Dalradian is trying to develop. There is pretty heavy local opposition, on the grounds of environmental concerns and the idea of billions being made from the land and spirited off to overseas investors. I think plenty of locals support the idea of jobs and industry in the region, but they seem quiet compared to the protestors.

This suggests the protestors have got some political backing (last few paragraphs): http://resourceworld.com/index.php/irish-mine-may-prove-challenging-for-dalradian/

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

A question for those buying silver coins please.

I've read about buying VAT "free" silver coins from overseas but upon looking into it, it may not look that much better than buying in the UK, with the VAT added.

An example:  Today, US Silver Eagle:

Overseas £15.03 plus postage

UK: £13.33 or £15.996 including VAT, can have posted or collect in person.

So yes, a little bit more expensive if bought in the UK, subject to postage costs which may change that (i.e. may be lower in the UK).  But  probably cheaper if bought in the UK and collected (no postage costs).  Plus collection reduces any postage risk (including not being in at the time).  Ex-security type bod so not too worried about collection!  And anyways, me postie, well his eyes, too far apart!

Overseas does offer discounted prices for 25+ but not sure if that changes things.

Am I missing something?

All very exciting!

Thanks in advance.

HOLA4422

All I can say is that at the three times I bought from coininvest it was cheaper than in the UK, but I don't have the figures in my memory anymore. 

If silver does do what's been mentioned, a few quid here and there won't matter so just buy wherever you feel comfortable!

HOLA4423

Chartbook “In Gold we Trust 2018“

...'We are proud that our 12th annual "In Gold we Trust" report was very well received and disseminated to more than 1.7 million people.

Obviously, not all our readers had time to read the entire 220+ pages. We therefore decided to put together a compendium of some of the most compelling charts and important conclusions of the report. Of course, we also had a look at the current technical setup of the gold price'...

https://www.incrementum.li/en/journal/chartbook-in-gold-we-trust-2018/

HOLA4424
HOLA4425