House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442

With all the currency wars on, it's difficult to get a handle on $ quoted gold. However, still down -3.23% in pounds over 12 months..

I note Max Keiser was claiming gold at a near peak to the pound this week, but if you adjust the chart back to September 2011 I would be very surprised if that was the case. edit......... More like -33%...£1164/ £782

Of course, he might be talking relative to the very distant long term...eg. Brown's bottom.

When it comes to RT these days I prefer the rather under stated considered approach of the black guy on Boom Bust these days. I don't know why they don't just dispense with the female presenter and have him front it.

http://www.kitco.com/gold_currency/index.html?currency=no&timePeriod=1y&flag=gold&otherChart=hardCur

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA443
HOLA444

$1220 back on cards. Above that... well, too early to say. One step at a time.

Most commodities rising with $ pulling back.

Short term - weeks or maybe months - could be quite a rally still.

Long term bear market persists.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Suffering from Dollar anxiety too TMT?

No, not at all. Would not worry me whether it goes up, down or sideways. Personally I think this drop in the USD is short-term and may last a few weeks but, by the end of April at the latest, I expect that it will have gone to new highs in 2015. It could resume upwards as early as next week.

I don't own any gold or silver and have no interest, apart from academic, about what it does or does not do.

Gold and silver may well bounce now that the USD is weaker but I suspect that both will make lower lows in 2015 just as I suspect that the USD will make new highs.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I am short Silver right now, got my first fill at $16.79 and the second at $17. If you read the Fed minutes it is actually bearish for the metals and then if you go to the daily chart it looks like the right shoulder of a head and shoulders pattern forming. This spike looks like a bull trap to me and if the jobs numbers are decent this week they will pull the rug causing the next leg down in both Gold and Silver. Gold should retest $1325 area and silver the mid $14's.

Edited by Renewed Investor

HOLA4411

I am short Silver right now, got my first fill at $16.79 and the second at $17. If you read the Fed minutes it is actually bearish for the metals and then if you go to the daily chart it looks like the right shoulder of a head and shoulders pattern forming. This spike looks like a bull trap to me and if the jobs numbers are decent this week they will pull the rug causing the next leg down in both Gold and Silver. Gold should retest $1325 area and silver the mid $14's.

$1125 surely?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I have read about and seen head and shoulder continuation patterns in upwards trending markets but have never seen any examples of them in a downwards trend. Not something I would risk trading, I don't like continuation head and shoulder patterns (worse consolidation pattern ever!). Still if that's the pattern you want to try and trade who am I to dispute it, one point thought, if you are a pattern trailer shouldn't you enter a trade a head and shoulders pattern on the breakdown of the of the neck line?

Edit: Oh BTW, I'm currently long SLV and expecting at least a retest of the 200 sma, which is close to the 17.9 level that KB mentioned.

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA4415

I have read about and seen head and shoulder continuation patterns in upwards trending markets but have never seen any examples of them in a downwards trend. Not something I would risk trading, I don't like continuation head and shoulder patterns (worse consolidation pattern ever!). Still if that's the pattern you want to try and trade who am I to dispute it, one point thought, if you are a pattern trailer shouldn't you enter a trade a head and shoulders pattern on the breakdown of the of the neck line?

Edit: Oh BTW, I'm currently long SLV and expecting at least a retest of the 200 sma, which is close to the 17.9 level that KB mentioned.

Since it is a downtrend (ref your 200ma) why would you trade it long and not short? By definition odds are against you since price is falling

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Since it is a downtrend (ref your 200ma) why would you trade it long and not short? By definition odds are against you since price is falling

Absolutely true. It really comes down to one thing only, my personal short-term biased and I agree that trading bear market rallies is a dangerous game! It's just every now and again I see a potential quick gain and I just can't help myself.

Edit to add: How much further do you think sliver will fall? Personal I see sliver as being undervalued when compared to gold.

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA4418

Absolutely true. It really comes down to one thing only, my personal short-term biased and I agree that trading bear market rallies is a dangerous game! It's just every now and again I see a potential quick gain and I just can't help myself.

Edit to add: How much further do you think sliver will fall? Personal I see sliver as being undervalued when compared to gold.

good answer!

Long-run, assuming commods bubble is definately done/dusted then mean reversion to long term trend and/or ultimately -ve sigmas below that doesnt seem unreasonable. Between now/then I have no idea. It felt like an ambitious call to say silver would go to $18 and gold to $1000 when they were in $40s and above $1800 so Im a little bit reticent to overly push my luck but $silver < $10 could happen at some point. Not sure Id be betting cash on that though, at least not yet.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Stopped out? Or staying in to be proved right, eventually?

HOLA4422

This brief run up should fizzle out in next couple of weeks & then it gets really interesting as we head back down to the lows. Reasonable prospect of those breaking on the next attempt and a re-run of 2013 price collapse (all imo ofc). No idea why anyone would go long here looking at a chart. Bonkers.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I am still in the Trade, should probably continue to flirt with this price range for a little while before dropping. Only thing stopping a drop at this point would be an unexpected event such as Putin doing something wild.

US is deploying 12 F-15Cs to the Netherlands before operational deployment to Bulgaria. This is in additional to the F-16s now operating out of Estonia and, IIRC, also out of Hungary.

Nice shot here of an RAF Typhoon, Polish Mig-29 and a USAF F-15C performing policing of NATO airspace over the Balkans.

original.jpg?w=600&h

Let's hope that no does anything that the rest of us will regret.

HOLA4425