House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Very interesting move in Silver yesterday. (Silver leads Gold normally).

16.2 to 17.2 and back down to flat.

Indicative of buyers coming in but still nervous? Could be.

Appears to be strength in miners (which tend to lead Silver).

HOLA445

We need the bond market to pop before gold will make it's next move.

gold volatility leads bond mkt volatility. So a, say, $200 drop in gold would likely signal a subsequent bond sell off.

Edited by R K

HOLA446

No, the big boys are still playing with all the gold/silver bugs. Take them long, go short. Go short, take them long. Repeat.

HOLA447

Isn't it funny how some people are certain in their predictions / analysis of what's going on and others ask quesstions and watch what the maket actually does and try to act accordingly?

HOLA448

Isn't it funny how some people are certain in their predictions / analysis of what's going on and others ask quesstions and watch what the maket actually does and try to act accordingly?

Yep, watching it shows that it goes down, then it goes up a bit, then it goes down a bit further, then it goes up a bit, then it goes down a bit further.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

And back to 17.2...well well well

no pullback and we could be in the early throes of a minor rally for the sector. Looking at miners would suggest strongly we are

HOLA4412

Coming to that time again..............

either another short-lived bear market rally, or mega breakdown

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=%24SILVER&p=W&yr=3&mn=0&dy=0&id=p28047513734

and there we go........

another short-lived bear market rally......just like all the prior short-lived bear market rallies. Hard to find a more predictable bear market than metals

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SLV&p=W&yr=2&mn=6&dy=0&id=p75958155530

HOLA4413

Confirmed break out in Silver if sticks for weekend the rally is confirmed.

I look forward to saying So much for those who can't read charts and make predictions based on nothing.

HOLA4414

Confirmed break out in Silver if sticks for weekend the rally is confirmed.

I look forward to saying So much for those who can't read charts and make predictions based on nothing.

USD will bottom in the coming days IMPO - at which point the rug will be pulled from beneath the feet of the gold and silver bugs and gold will head down to $1160 and silver to $15 or high $14s.

Saying that, if you have been in the miners / mining etfs this week already then, well done, you have made a handsome gain. Just a question now of how many more days gain you will get. Gain turned into profit is good. Watching something go up to then watch it come back down is not good.

HOLA4415

USD will bottom in the coming days IMPO - at which point the rug will be pulled from beneath the feet of the gold and silver bugs and gold will head down to $1160 and silver to $15 or high $14s.

Saying that, if you have been in the miners / mining etfs this week already then, well done, you have made a handsome gain. Just a question now of how many more days gain you will get. Gain turned into profit is good. Watching something go up to then watch it come back down is not good.

You can't make money in the long run buying counter-trend moves. It's a losing proposition, which is why (presumably) rookies rush into these sorts of trades. You only have to look at my chart above to see that. A 3 yr downtrend which people on this thread have thrown their money into all the way down, and continue to do so. Sad really.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Surely the performance of gold in isolation is not relevant?

If we assume that global yield is non existent and everything is in an asset bubble, and that UK economy and therefore the pound is screwed...

The only decision to make is whether gold will fall less than other assets and whether the pound is going to tank.

(I know relatively little)

Edited by dkujsbap

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Looks like USD going up and Euro going down. If this continues tooday and into Monday then it could be that the Euro has topped and is heading down whilst the buck is on the way back up over 100 and beyond.

Conventional markets could be about to go onwards and upwards - on both sides of the Atlantic - and metals/oil heading back down big time.

HOLA4420

Surely the performance of gold in isolation is not relevant?

If we assume that global yield is non existent and everything is in an asset bubble, and that UK economy and therefore the pound is screwed...

The only decision to make is whether gold will fall less than other assets and whether the pound is going to tank.

(I know relatively little)

Agree entirely that the world is in a global asset bubble, and indeed it then comes down to comparisons with other asset classes, because just leaving your entire pot in cash is equally fraught with dangers.

I really find it difficult to assess the value of gold, because of the zero yield thing. On the negative side it has increased fourfold since the turn of the century, bringing it to slightly over par historic values. On the positive side it has fallen a third since 2011 and finite stuff will always find demand in an expanding global economy eventually.

Meanwhile, as I am clueless as to which way gold is going I'd rather stick to yielding assets.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Germans are buying gold at a frantic pace

The World Gold Council report released on Thursday said demand for total gold bar and coins spiked by 20% in Germany during the first quarter from the year before.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/14/investing/gold-germany-europe-ecb/

Im going to start myself.

getting very very nervous right now, the whole "recovery" aka unsustainable government backed sub prime debt bubble used to pump up house prices is very worrying. I cannot believe the s**t that is selling round our way, it has gone 2005-2007 loco.

Anyone got any afvice the best seller/deal to use ?

I'll have a few K in gold tomorrow thank you very much

HOLA4424
HOLA4425