House Price Crash Forum

Pfi Schools - Banning Kids From Selling Sweets

SarahBell

HOLA441

From a school letter being sent out today:

It has come to our attention recently that some students have been bringing into school additional chocolate bars, drinks, confectionery, and selling them to other students in school and ultimately making a profit.

Can I please remind all parents/guardians that this school is owned by Kier Management and any trading of this nature is illegal and will require a formal service level agreement and trading licence with the proprietors.

Any goods of this nature brought into school will be confiscated immediately and will only be returned to a parent or guardian.

-----------

Aren't there some big business people who started off selling sweets at school?

HOLA442

Beautiful.

Children = free enterprize, and free market economics

PFI = Government, stifling of innovation.

Next the will make it "illegal" to bring in their own packed luch, and make it compulsary to eat at their canteen.

They will then need to pay extra for the same food, so that the poorer kids can eat there for free, too.

School locker prices will trade hands for more and more extortionate amounts, with the PFI company taking a percentage share in the transaction "for administrative purposes"

Kijds will MEW against the price of their locker, to afford the lunches, whilst brushing aside the payments, as they'll be able to sell it on when they move schools, thus perpetuating the ponzi.

It will all end in tears...

HOLA443

When I was a kid I went on a school holiday to Ostend in Belgium. I bought some delicious Belgian chocolate for my Mum but one of the teachers confiscated it on some dubious pretext.

Never saw it again ... :(

I reckon this is more to do with some contract with the vending machine suppliers. If I was a kid I would jam the vending machines to create a supply shortage.

That would be good training for a future CEO of De Beers, Shell or BP.

HOLA444

School locker prices will trade hands for more and more extortionate amounts, with the PFI company taking a percentage share in the transaction "for administrative purposes"

You already need to buy their padlock to use the lockers. Which is a rubbishy one that can be taken off fairly easily. Also not enough lockers for everyone anyway.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Three possible responses:

Either refer them to the Private Eye response in the case of Arkell vs Pressdram (google it) or

Ignore it, and ensure you send your kids with lots of stuff to sell/eat/swap. The ordinary teachers will not want the hassle of policing this kind of thing - why create unnecessary conflict with pupils in the playground when you've then got to teach them? The letter will have come from someone like a bursar/deputy head/head who doesn't actually deal with pupils.

or

Write the chair of governors and the local press - the school and Kier will either back down or be made to look really stupid.

Y

p.s. You could ask them to draft a service level agreement for inter-pupil nutritional product trading on educational premises in a non-lesson time scenario.

HOLA448
HOLA449

From a school letter being sent out today:

It has come to our attention recently that some students have been bringing into school additional chocolate bars, drinks, confectionery, and selling them to other students in school and ultimately making a profit.

Can I please remind all parents/guardians that this school is owned by Kier Management and any trading of this nature is illegal and will require a formal service level agreement and trading licence with the proprietors.

Any goods of this nature brought into school will be confiscated immediately and will only be returned to a parent or guardian.

-----------

Aren't there some big business people who started off selling sweets at school?

Tell them to go stuff their chocolate bars up.............

Just who is going to enforce this regulation? Are Keir going to be be bringing the chocolate police into this school?

The school might be owned by Keir, but who is operating it and on behalf of who? Do Keir get involved in teaching policies?

I just hope this is a wind-up.

HOLA4410

Roll on the corporatocracy.....this sends a chill up my spine.

HOLA4411

Tell them to go stuff their chocolate bars up.............

Just who is going to enforce this regulation? Are Keir going to be be bringing the chocolate police into this school?

The school might be owned by Keir, but who is operating it and on behalf of who? Do Keir get involved in teaching policies?

I just hope this is a wind-up.

The right and proper thing would be for Keir to draft a contract with each child and insist that all child sweet sellers give Keir 50% commission on their sales. Kids do work, PFI works! I know a couple of people who could help them draw up the contract:

don_corleone_perusio.jpg

"The kids are selling sweets again on your patch"

child_catcher%5B1%5D.jpg

HOLA4412

At which point the parent points out that only a court may divest a person of his goods and brings a case against the school for the illegal seizure of his property. Perhaps I should march into the school and inform the head that I am confiscating this school and will only return it under an arbitrary set of conditions.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Needs sending on to the press.

Clearly what the school needs is a pupil led revolt, get the kids out chanting we are on strike with the TV cameras there. I suspect that Kier would back down pretty damn quickly. The kids need to watch what is happening in Egypt, they need to peacefully protest that they have the freedom to trade on school premises.

HOLA4416

At which point the parent points out that only a court may divest a person of his goods and brings a case against the school for the illegal seizure of his property. Perhaps I should march into the school and inform the head that I am confiscating this school and will only return it under an arbitrary set of conditions.

And possibly ....

if a court should order a confiscation of property only a properly appointed bailiff can carry out that order. Receipts should also be provided.

HOLA4417

any trading of this nature is illegal and will require a formal service level agreement and trading licence with the proprietors.

It occurs to me that the use of the work illegal is wrong as this could only be a civil not a criminal matter.

The school has a contract with the PFI company, but the pupils presumably do not have contract with the PFI company.

(For the europhobes look away now)

It strike me that the PFI company might be in breach of the following articles of the Treaty of Rome as amended:

(suggesting breaches of EU law in responses usually works nicely)

* Articles 28-30 (free trade: general rule and justification for restrictions)

* Article 31 (free trade: State monopolies of a commercial character)

* Article 81 (anti-competitive agreements and concerted practices)

* Article 82 (abuse of a dominant position)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It occurs to me that the use of the work illegal is wrong as this could only be a civil not a criminal matter.

The school has a contract with the PFI company, but the pupils presumably do not have contract with the PFI company.

It strike me that the PFI company might be in breach of the following articles of the Treaty of Rome as amended:

nice

HOLA4421

Well researched. I was going to question the use of 'illegal' - who do these people think they are?

The terminology is symptomatic of the whole culture of fear and unfounded rules and legalese that appear to be suffocating the nation under the rule of the jobsworths.

The last thing we need though is enterprising, free-market students, when the big companies can rip people off.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Many years ago a friend's 5 year old daughter was due to go on a school trip.

20 kids in class told they could either bring something to eat (sweets) or £1.00 to spend.

19 other kids took £1 and friend's daughter took sweets.

It rained and they cancelled the trip. The playground then had 19 kids with £1 each burning a hole in their pockets, and 1 kid with a packet of sweets.

Supply and demand kicked in.

Until hometime when 19 parents asked for their £1 back.

Y

HOLA4424

suggest the school stops paying the repayments to Kier....the contract with Kier was to build and finance the place in return for a 30 year rent.

not for selling chocolates....indeed, Im not sure the minors can even be sued for breach of contract, and the school probably has no right to assault the children for bringing stuff in.

HOLA4425

Well researched. I was going to question the use of 'illegal' - who do these people think they are?

also, many people working in schools are institutionalised. To them, `illegal' and `against school rules' are synonymous. He/she probably had no idea what his words actually meant.

Y

Archived