House Price Crash Forum

'we Don't Mind Fewer Presents This Year'

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1339058/We-dont-mind-presents-year-Poll-children-unearths-extraordinary-Christmas-claim.html

'It's a claim that most parents burdened with the expense of Christmas will meet with disbelief.

Amazing as it sounds, children are apparently happy to receive fewer presents to help ease the strain on family finances.

A poll by swapit.co.uk of under-18s found almost nine in ten were happy to go without their usual haul of gifts and some are expecting less than normal.

The survey shows young people are now more clued up on money matters, with only 7 per cent of under-18s unaware of Britain's money troubles.

Some 62 per cent of youngsters discuss the family finances with their parents.

Swapit.co.uk surveyed 1,026 under-18s during December.'

It's struck me as odd over the last decade or so,how kids Christmas and Birthdays have become inflated in terms of gifts.Very much to go along with the X5 in the drive.

I suppose this jsut goes to show,that desopite the best efforts of the marketeers,kids are quite happy with very little.

Sad really,that it came as a shock to society.Even sadder that we became as obsessed as we did with 'tat'.

I told my seven year old daughter that Santa was dead and that she`ll be lucky to get fu@k all. Sorted.

HOLA442

A poll by swapit.co.uk of under-18s found almost nine in ten were happy to go without their usual haul of gifts and some are expecting less than normal.

The survey shows young people are now more clued up on money matters, with only 7 per cent of under-18s unaware of Britain's money troubles.

Surely this is meaningless without specifying the age distribution.

If 7% of under 18s are evenly distributed and it is only age based then only children under 1 and a half are unaware of money troubles.

HOLA443

We used to get one or two main presents from my parents, which would be something like a computer game or some clothes (back on the days before they were made by slave children), and then lots of bits and pieces. I think my mum just wrapped up anything she bought from mid-November onwards - things like shower gel and writing paper would always be in the pile!

My cousins used to get about twice as much as us again but the total monetary value of the purchases wouldn't be that excessive just the amount of presents.

One of my colleagues has children who are about 8 and 6 and they get given things in the £100-£200 range for every birthday and Christmas which seems ludicrously excessive to me. I don't think kids appreciate it as much if they get lots of expensive things.

HOLA444

one of my husband's colleagues was going to buy ipads for his children aged 10 and 8. aside from the actual need for it, how expensive are these machines. i guess they must also get a lot of other 'stocking fillers' too to supplement their main present. not being from this country, i am always amazed at how much people spend. lists are acquired and shopping is done with military precision. but when it comes to budgeting , its like' i am not too good at organisation' or 'i can count ;-)'.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

one of my husband's colleagues was going to buy ipads for his children aged 10 and 8. aside from the actual need for it, how expensive are these machines. i guess they must also get a lot of other 'stocking fillers' too to supplement their main present. not being from this country, i am always amazed at how much people spend. lists are acquired and shopping is done with military precision. but when it comes to budgeting , its like' i am not too good at organisation' or 'i can count ;-)'.

Are Ipads durable enough to give to 10 or 8 year olds?

Christmas is certainly expensive if you are buying gifts like that.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Surely this is meaningless without specifying the age distribution.

If 7% of under 18s are evenly distributed and it is only age based then only children under 1 and a half are unaware of money troubles.

Though they could reasonably be expected to not be completing surveys online at that age...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1339058/We-dont-mind-presents-year-Poll-children-unearths-extraordinary-Christmas-claim.html

'It's a claim that most parents burdened with the expense of Christmas will meet with disbelief.

Amazing as it sounds, children are apparently happy to receive fewer presents to help ease the strain on family finances.

It's struck me as odd over the last decade or so,how kids Christmas and Birthdays have become inflated in terms of gifts.Very much to go along with the X5 in the drive.

I suppose this jsut goes to show,that desopite the best efforts of the marketeers,kids are quite happy with very little.

Sad really,that it came as a shock to society.Even sadder that we became as obsessed as we did with 'tat'.

Don't believe a word of it. I read elsewhere that the number one gift kids want for Xmas is a 600 quid Ipad! Still as spoilt and greedy as they've always been, little feckers! :lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Are Ipads durable enough to give to 10 or 8 year olds?

Christmas is certainly expensive if you are buying gifts like that.

I doubt it and no wonder kids end up being groomed by pervs as you can guarantee there will be sod all supervision by the parent.

In the past you could justify a decent tech purchase for a child; I would get electronics kits and mechano's to bring out the inner engineer in me (which kinda failed) but what skills are involved working an iPad? A secondhand laptop would be better, but not till older.

HOLA4415

I've told my niece Father Christmas isn't bringing her anything this year because she has Asthma.

Seriously though, I was bouncing with excitement if I had 5 presents under the tree when I was a kid, and it would be things like board games or 2nd hand Scalextric.

Last Christmas my 2 nieces must have had 60 presents between them including mobiles, Wii's etc.

iPads, FFS.

HOLA4416

Don't believe a word of it. I read elsewhere that the number one gift kids want for Xmas is a 600 quid Ipad! Still as spoilt and greedy as they've always been, little feckers! :lol:

The spoilt and greedy are mostly older folk who have lived on state handouts & liar loans who are just

starting to squeal as they are dragged from the state/credit tit.

Music to my ears.

Re OP, my 2 boys have always been modest in their expectations and grateful for what they get. Despite doing very well most Christmas's (e.g near impossible to obtain original Buzz & Woody figures in '95 via Disney contact, and PS3 + hot games in '08) they have never developed a sense of entitlement.

I'm proud of them. They are definitely kinder and more generous and understanding than me.

Me and Mrs Xux are very lucky.

HOLA4417

I've told my niece Father Christmas isn't bringing her anything this year because she has Asthma.

Seriously though, I was bouncing with excitement if I had 5 presents under the tree when I was a kid, and it would be things like board games or 2nd hand Scalextric.

Last Christmas my 2 nieces must have had 60 presents between them including mobiles, Wii's etc.

iPads, FFS.

You know I'm thinking of buying myself some toys this Christmas, perhaps a small train set or scalextrix. These things are wasted on kids.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

In the past you could justify a decent tech purchase for a child; I would get electronics kits and mechano's to bring out the inner engineer in me (which kinda failed) but what skills are involved working an iPad? A secondhand laptop would be better, but not till older.

You miserable g1t! That would be like me and my mates being told we couldn't have a Commodore 64 when we were 10 years old and being given a pocket calculator instead.

I do think an Ipad is a bit OTT, but your post has made me re-evaluate the situation and realise that times have changed a bit. If I'd never got that Commodore 64 I'd never have learnt about computers at such a young age and never have ended up:

1. Working in p1ss boring IT

2. Wasting my time playing loads of video games

3. Spending the rest of my time on this bloody forum

On second thoughts I take it back, they'll be better off with a lump of coal. :lol:

HOLA4421

well apart from the durability issue, ipads are pretty useless machines when it comes to value for money and functionality. i can understand getting a good desktop computer system for the kids. ipads may be good for reading magazines, papers etc. i really cant see why an ipad (apart from the marketing) is a suitable present for kids. it is like buying a 500 pound dress watch for a 10 year old. sure it can show the time but it is pretty useless for a child to appreciate it for what it is.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

You miserable g1t! That would be like me and my mates being told we couldn't have a Commodore 64 when we were 10 years old and being given a pocket calculator instead.

I do think an Ipad is a bit OTT, but your post has made me re-evaluate the situation and realise that times have changed a bit. If I'd never got that Commodore 64 I'd never have learnt about computers at such a young age and never have ended up:

1. Working in p1ss boring IT

2. Wasting my time playing loads of video games

3. Spending the rest of my time on this bloody forum

On second thoughts I take it back, they'll be better off with a lump of coal. :lol:

I'm of an age when you didn't get computers as a kid, unless it was a damn stupid "magic robot." No doubt a few years later I would have got a zx81 or a C64, or Amstrad CPC464. Hmm many a happy hour, under the tree typing in boring BASIC listings. Hmm that should told you what you could expect in years to come if you stuck to computers! laugh.gif

HOLA4425

Archived