House Price Crash Forum

Five Departments Reach Agreement On Spending Cuts

Kyoto

HOLA441

Shock horror. Could we actually see some REAL cuts. Is the party really coming to an end?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11400220

The Treasury, Cabinet Office, Foreign Office plus the environment and communities departments have reached agreement on cutting their spending.

As a result ministers Eric Pickles and Caroline Spelman have joined the "star chamber", which rules on departments which cannot agree cuts.

Most government departments have been told to agree 25% cuts by next month.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

This could quite easily plunge the country back into a much deeper recession than 2007-08

If they don't do it will be there even sooner when no one wants to lend the UK money, it's credit rating is cut, the pound plummets, inflation surges,bond yields and interest rates surge. Then the cuts are forced and uncontrolled.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

But Osborne said all the sacked government employees will get jobs in the green energy industry.

Yep , millions of unemployed waving we hate Nu-Labour placards in front of wind turbines to create free power , thus crreating energy and job security at the same time.

D

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The recession never ended. If the cuts were made in 2007, we would be in a much better position now.

I'm inclined to agree, but reality prevents me.

Generally people are having an easier time repaying their debts, and those who were tossed into unemployment have been creeping back but at lower levels of pay. That's my impression, independent of media spin. So the recession is over. For now. Not great, but it is happening. I hope it continues.

Would we have been better off with earlier cuts? I guess that all depended on the timing of the banking collapse: the earlier the collapse, the earlier the cuts. What I mean is that there had to be a collapse before the cuts could be contemplated.

HOLA4417

The recession never ended. If the cuts were made in 2007, we would be in a much better position now.

The end of the recession was certainly 'fiddled' to help with the election, though if you consider that part of GDP is government spending and that spending was brought forward or made with money they didn't have, it is questionable as to whether we did actually emerge from the recession. Was the emperor naked?

It's a bit like the MEWing phenomenon and the 'Brown Boom'.

Edited by tinker

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

If they don't do it will be there even sooner when no one wants to lend the UK money, it's credit rating is cut, the pound plummets, inflation surges,bond yields and interest rates surge. Then the cuts are forced and uncontrolled.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. The cuts will crash the economy, weakening the pound anyway. It's the better of the two routes, but we're in such a big mess it'll still be carnage. There's no easy way out.

Got gold?

Edited by General Congreve

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Does the 25% cut include pensions. If the staff numbers are cut by 25% I would guess that the cut in spending (including pensions) would be between 5 and 10 % if that when you take into account redundancy and pensions.

For example if someone goes 5 years early and they get redundancy, say 2 years salary (tax free) and their 5 years pension contributions made what would be the real savings? Answer is not much saved, if anything.

It doesn't really work like that.

Yiou will have to pay most of this pension anyway so it isn't an additional cost. By sacking someone now, assuming that you don't replace him, you will save his salary forever.

HOLA4423

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. The cuts will crash the economy, weakening the pound anyway. It's the better of the two routes, but we're in such a big mess it'll still be carnage. There's no easy way out.

The problem is that the electorate will beleive the NL retoric that the other route would have worked.

I think that Call me Dave is making a political mistake by not following the NL route. He's giving them an easy win in 2015 unless the economy picks up big time (which I don't think it will)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

It is my opinion that the spending cuts will be disaster for many of us (excluding those of "independent means" of course.)

The private sector will be unable to replace the losses in the public sector, and will in fact be seriously damaged. The effect on house prices will be at least a 30% reduction.

So my sealed envelope to be opened in mid 2012 states 5 million unemployed, 100k average house prices, and 25% VAT.

The first is a bad thing, the second is eventually a good thing.