Hsbc Threaten To Quit London

MrP

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Without the bails outs the whole banking system would have collapsed including hsbc

Nah. I don't swallow that.

The good bits would have been gobbled up by the healthy banks - the govt would have had to bail out savers. And the debt book could have been chopped up too.

I do not believe the uk government interfering as it did has helped the uk.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Without the bails outs the whole banking system would have collapsed including hsbc

Don't think so. Without the bail out, HSBC will be the only bank left in town..

@ Let's get it right

HSBC did not participate in the Asset protection scheme, but it does benefit from the government credit guarantee on anything that it borrows.

Edited by easybetman

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm under the impression that HSBC have taken advantage of the government scheme to guarantee the value of assets parked in it.

They certainly benefited from panic not gripping the entire banking sector. Had there been no bailouts, they would have been at risk of problems too, as the bank runs rolled in on them in time. I suppose they had an implicit bailout, by virtue of the other banks being propped up.

Then again... they could have benefited by being the strongest standing, sucking in deposits from other banks in this situation. A 'good' bank to the failing 'bad' banks as it were.

HOLA4414

They certainly benefited from panic not gripping the entire banking sector. Had there been no bailouts, they would have been at risk of problems too, as the bank runs rolled in on them in time. I suppose they had an implicit bailout, by virtue of the other banks being propped up.

Then again... they could have benefited by being the strongest standing, sucking in deposits from other banks in this situation. A 'good' bank to the failing 'bad' banks as it were.

The government by their very action protected every one of these financial institutions from meltdown, Armageddon in fact. There would have been no HSBC had they not done so.

And now they say they didn’t need any direct help so the sun shines out of their bums. Short sighted, lying tossers. F8ck them: let them go leech of some other countries tax payers.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Don't HSBC have massive exposure, having bought zombie bank chains, to build a presence in the USA?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

HSBC signed up to the government’s rescue scheme, benefited from state guarantees and all the injections of liquidity intended to free up the credit markets.

Forgot to mention they also received $3.5 Billion via AIG's bailout.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

HSBC could argue they suffered from the government's banking bail outs. They were well capitalised, prepared ahead of time, sold their HQ building and rented it back about 3 months before the start of the credit crunch in 2007, so they would have mopped up all the customers from failed banks, if any banks had actually been allowed to fail.

By rights HSBC should be spitting tacks! The government has done them no favours.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

HSBC could argue they suffered from the government's banking bail outs. They were well capitalised, prepared ahead of time, sold their HQ building and rented it back about 3 months before the start of the credit crunch in 2007, so they would have mopped up all the customers from failed banks, if any banks had actually been allowed to fail.

By rights HSBC should be spitting tacks! The government has done them no favours.

I remember reading reports at the time that they weren't happy, and threatened all sorts unless the bail-out terms were severe on the bad banks.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Please shut the door on your way out...

Beat me to it :)

That is, I don't have a portfolio of overleveraged BTLs in Docklands; I don't deal cocaine; and I'm not the proprietor of a lapdancing bar. So fewer bankers in London won't effect me. in fact, it will be a plus for ordinary Londoners.

Edited by dryrot