House Price Crash Forum

Radio 5 Talking About The Housing Market(Phone In)

HOLA441

"No-one would have believed, in the early years of the twenty-first century, that buy-to-let affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of hpc.co.uk. No-one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few EA's even considered the possibility of earning a living through intellect and endeavor. And yet, across the gulf of Nulab's wealth divide, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded our "equity" with envious eyes; and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us."

I'm feeling a bit like a tripod myself after all todays beargasms.

Exactly what I had in mind. A updated Jeff Wayne album :lol:

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Anyone else getting this?

snip.PNG

I can't seem to get it to work. Is it overloaded with tissue-wielding HPCers, having a bit of a w4nkfest?!

If so, budge over - some of the rest of us have tension to relieve as well :lol:

B

Getting the same.

The poster who gave the link is showing where it will be available, but it isn't yet.

Now getting this: it's being divided into "chapters" - patience, dear people!

bbcplayer.png

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I am getting "Victoria Derbyshire: 10/08/2010 is unavailable at this time."

Hmmm......... I just wonder - is there some kind of VI stuff going on right now.... Hmm :angry:

They're still working on it, Eric - chill! :lol:

bbcplayer2.png

ED: fatfinger.

post-8051-12814430110896_thumb.png

Edited by yellerkat

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Why are peak 2007 prices seen as some kind of HOLY GRAIL?!

Exactly!

Has to be because of the "house prices always go up" mantra!

I think the people's root problem is not being able to differentiate between nominal prices and real prices. Because in the really very long term, in nominal terms, even the 2007 peak may be reached, and surpassed. And they will see only the nominal value. So, the mantra is "true" - for nominal prices.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

They do, by 25% apparently. They are telling the mortgage industry about it. See the news in this thread: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=147307&view=findpost&p=2624404

The government couldn't see the bubble when it sat on its bum in the front room and dragged itself across leaving a great big brown stain. What makes you think they will be able to so finely control the markets to engineer a perfect 25% crash? how will they manage this throughout the country evenly?

My take is that they may aim for 25%, and put "HPC" policies in place, but if this were ever to happen, it would be self-perpetuating, and you'd see a huge overshoot.

I'm still placing my money on 50-60% falls from where we are today.

HOLA4419

Exactly!

Has to be because of the "house prices always go up" mantra!

I think the people's root problem is not being able to differentiate between nominal prices and real prices. Because in the really very long term, in nominal terms, even the 2007 peak may be reached, and surpassed. And they will see only the nominal value. So, the mantra is "true" - for nominal prices.

More so the 'house prices never go down" mantra.

My work partner said that so long as his property didn't go down in value nominally, he'd be happy. A strange logic given that inflation will mean it's ultimately 'worth' less in real terms.

I think it's part of the stubborn attitude that vendors are currently displaying: " I won't take a penny less than I bought it for..."

Fine. Hang onto it for 10 years and sell it for a fiver more. Whoopee, you've made a profit. :blink:

Of course, deflation may mean that the nominal v real terms equation is somewhat different...

HOLA4420

More so the 'house prices never go down" mantra.

My work partner said that so long as his property didn't go down in value nominally, he'd be happy. A strange logic given that inflation will mean it's ultimately 'worth' less in real terms.

I think it's part of the stubborn attitude that vendors are currently displaying: " I won't take a penny less than I bought it for..."

Fine. Hang onto it for 10 years and sell it for a fiver more. Whoopee, you've made a profit. :blink:

Of course, deflation may mean that the nominal v real terms equation is somewhat different...

Why do people never take the mortgage interest payments in to account when they talk about how much their house has made them?

ed: spilling

Edited by Lepista

HOLA4421

I went into a panic freefall, beng first-time on the radio. You helped by posting the helpful comment, of how HPI are bad for the British economy.

If only I could come across as wooing Richard Burton, narrating on articles from the various threads on here to the public. Rather than a gibbering wreck, at least the message staring to get out on the BBC. :D

Thank you TimeBandit.

That message (high property costs are bad for people, and companies), is the most important, but also the most difficult, after years of people feeling richer as their houses went up in prices. That will be a hard one to crack.

I think, perhaps if we start saying "housing costs", instead of "house prices", it could help. It reminds people that we all need housing, like shelter: basic need, major part of the cost of living. Perhaps then some would snap out of it, and see it from this other angle, as cost, like food and petrol: better when cheaper, not dearer!

Edit: You did fine! Not a "gibbering wreck" at all! I guess you are changing the recollection of it in your own fearful mind there. But I guarantee you that as soon as it comes out in the BBC iPlayer you will be relieved, discretely proud of yourself, and deservedly so.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I got ahead of myself and thought the iplayer link was live, turns out if you click the little sound icon under Steven Nolan it goes to yesterdays show (when he wasn't on) then do it again it goes back to today's, which is unavailable.

Edit, he was on yesterday, but that's not the bearfest we are all seeking

Edited by thedude