Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

A sign of things to come

Royal Mail job vacancy

I like it when they ask "does this appeal to you?" - that job wouldn't appeal to anybody, but of course there are people out there who need jobs out of necessity. It's a shame the pay is so terrible given the environment they'd have to work in.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

That's the kind of job I used to apply for in Cornwall in the 90s. Never got them as they were usually oversubscribed and the degree wasn't required.

Get used to it. I'd say we are in for a shortish, sharpish unpleasant re-run of this or if the politicians can get away with it, a slow decline into a near permanent state (with no one noticing)

HOLA4410

I can confirm such jobs are quite bad, I used to work for HSBC totalitarian state department, (where RFID chips identified where you were in the building).

I actually sent out bank statements and spam leaflets in such letters, stood by a machine that could stuff 15 envelopes every second at max speed.

It used to beep each time an enevelope came off the end, I worked next to the DL machine which similarly beeped each time an envelope came off the end.

We would watch the machines and unclog them when they jammed, and make up 6 inch thick bundles of letters put an elastic band on it and throw it into a sack into a Yorkie trolley which when it became full would be wheeled off to the loading area.

This job would drive everybody spare and insane, as you heard so many beeps a second you would start to hear the beeps in your sleep

It paid NMW and the Jewish bloke (I can't remember his name) went absolutely spare after a week on the machines. There was scant relief as if the machines broke we would be called to hand sort mail which had no beeping but had managers cracking the whip giving discouragement constantly.

Everybody there bar the managers were agency staff who were gotten rid of before the higher rate of pay kicked in post 3 months trial period.

HOLA4411

I like it when they ask "does this appeal to you?" - that job wouldn't appeal to anybody, but of course there are people out there who need jobs out of necessity. It's a shame the pay is so terrible given the environment they'd have to work in.

Even better is that cryptic life-coach message at the start:

Would you prefer to work to live, or live to work? Are you looking for seasonal work?

Can't work out what they are implying by writing this or why they have included it in the advert.

HOLA4412

Well it just sums it up how big the gap is getting between the haves and have not's . Minimun wage is now the default wage , more and more jobs are now just paying this crap. When I worked nights my night rate on top of my basic pay was more than what they are paying .

HOLA4413

Well it just sums it up how big the gap is getting between the haves and have not's . Minimun wage is now the default wage , more and more jobs are now just paying this crap. When I worked nights my night rate on top of my basic pay was more than what they are paying .

I haven't seen enhancement for antisocial hours and night shifts since oh 2003, when I was in a ginsters pie factory, and that was to replace a broken loading machine that automatically stacked boxes onto pallets. They didn't have the part to fix it so hired me to stack the boxes, damn that machine worked fast.

HOLA4414

Even better is that cryptic life-coach message at the start:

Would you prefer to work to live, or live to work? Are you looking for seasonal work?

Can't work out what they are implying by writing this or why they have included it in the advert.

They should have put Would you prefer to work to live, or live to work TOUGH you have no choice!

HOLA4415

I haven't seen enhancement for antisocial hours and night shifts since oh 2003, when I was in a ginsters pie factory, and that was to replace a broken loading machine that automatically stacked boxes onto pallets. They didn't have the part to fix it so hired me to stack the boxes, damn that machine worked fast.

BHS , was taking on night shift shelf stackers during the Christmas period, they paid minimum wage plus WAIT for it WAIT for it !!! 16p per hour night shift allowance on top .

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Has there been any wage inflation in the last decade for the unskilled?

I worked dayshifts in a factory as a student in the late 1990's and was paid more than that.

Yet all I hear is company directors moaning about having to pay the minimum wage.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I can confirm such jobs are quite bad, I used to work for HSBC totalitarian state department, (where RFID chips identified where you were in the building).

I actually sent out bank statements and spam leaflets in such letters, stood by a machine that could stuff 15 envelopes every second at max speed.

It used to beep each time an enevelope came off the end, I worked next to the DL machine which similarly beeped each time an envelope came off the end.

We would watch the machines and unclog them when they jammed, and make up 6 inch thick bundles of letters put an elastic band on it and throw it into a sack into a Yorkie trolley which when it became full would be wheeled off to the loading area.

This job would drive everybody spare and insane, as you heard so many beeps a second you would start to hear the beeps in your sleep

It paid NMW and the Jewish bloke (I can't remember his name) went absolutely spare after a week on the machines. There was scant relief as if the machines broke we would be called to hand sort mail which had no beeping but had managers cracking the whip giving discouragement constantly.

Everybody there bar the managers were agency staff who were gotten rid of before the higher rate of pay kicked in post 3 months trial period.

when I was at uni I worked in a CD packing warehouse on the night shift, you really do go mad with the strange hours and the weird factory environment.

I would stand in front of a wall with holes in it that had CD's in them. they then had this system where red lights went off signaling you to pick a CD and put it in the box on the conveyor belt next to you. Those lights would go off really fast and the boxes would rip your fingers to shreds by the end of the shift.

anyway I soon realised that if I made enough mistakes the convayer belt would stop and the whole factory would shut down for 1/2 hour while people ahead of me in the line sorted it out. After I realised I could do this without anyone knowing who was making the mistakes I was basically employed to sabotage the factory. Every hour or so I would just chuck loads of wrong CD's in a box and the whole thing shut down. after I'd been there a while I found a spot where none of the camera's could see me and I'd pretend to take the bins out and then just go and sit there reading a book. everyone else in the whole place hated it equally so no one ever dobbed me in and I lasted the whole summer.

After a while I came worked out that as the camera's couldn't see me I could use it even more and I would take a load of CD's with me and Frisbee them over the ten foot fence to my brother. We then sold them at car boot sales and made a killing (for a student anyway)

when will employers realize that treating people like shit just makes then screw you over. I'm half temped to take this job for a couple of shifts, steel loads of mail and use the info I collect to commit large scale identity theft.

Edit - wow my spelling really is crap

Edited by Ben from Dover

HOLA4421

I worked for the royal mail as a summer holiday/xmas casual temp about 15 years ago when I was a stooooodent

once i managed to get £5 an hour out of them

most of the time it was about £3.60 though :angry:

i might still have a wage slip or two knocking about...

Still I was just using it for beer money rather than trying to live off it

HOLA4422

I thought Brown's comment to Gillian Duffy yesterday was great, "there's no life on the dole anymore."

For many people, this is the alternative. NMW night shifts with no guaranteed hours on short term contracts, in an age where one hour's NMW is just about enough to buy you a meal at Burger King.

What a life. Thanks Gordon (and every other leader since 1979).

HOLA4423

I thought Brown's comment to Gillian Duffy yesterday was great, "there's no life on the dole anymore."

For many people, this is the alternative. NMW night shifts with no guaranteed hours on short term contracts, in an age where one hour's NMW is just about enough to buy you a meal at Burger King.

What a life. Thanks Gordon (and every other leader since 1979).

Erm Burger king meals are about £5.67ish last time I looked (about a year ago) after tax on NMW you can't afford a burger king meal.

HOLA4424

foreign robots taking our jobs, working hard than us....

HOLA4425