House Price Crash Forum

Mr O'leary, Please Don't Take My Flights Away

HOLA441

Telegraph

We, in case you were wondering, are the faithful, foreign home-owning, frequent-flying fans of what you sometimes laughingly call an airline. There are several hundreds of thousands British residents who would never have actually slammed down the money for houses in Europe if you hadn’t first torn up the rule book about how to run an airline. For that, at least, we thank you.

Not sure how much sympathy she will elicit from ryanair by mocking them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Telegraph

Not sure how much sympathy she will elicit from ryanair by mocking them.

My girlfriend's friends were trying to persaude us (i.e. her) to go in on a off plan italian "apartment" in the middle of nowhere early last year. i told them they were mad as:

1) The property would lose value leaving us in neg-eq

2) The pound would lose value rendering the Euro mortgage much more expensive.

3) The budget airlines would start withdrawing the routes as the recession hit.

4) Going on holiday repeatedly in one cr@p place in italy for decades is a really stupid idea.

Turns out I was correct on all counts

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
My initial plan for my maison secondaire was to spend a week there for each of the summer months. So far, I have only managed once or twice a month for three or four days at a stretch –

I suspect her "plan" was to buy in Provence like all of her journo and meeja friends in the expectation of making some nice profits due to HPI.

For the time she claims to spend there, renting a villa would have been much less expensive.

I'm loving this aspect of the Depression. All those who have indebted themselves buying 2nd houses they never lived in, thus pricing locals out of the market, are now starting to realise the folly of their "investment".

I don't care much for O'Leary. But I hope he continues his cost cutting exercise around Europe. B)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

And the moral of the story is that you shouldn't plan your life and property purchases on the back of an expectancy that cheap airlines are here to stay.

They (Ryanair and their ilk) weren't in business to act as an air taxi for you to get to your second home (which some local no doubt can no longer afford).

Sensible planning should not rely on untested business models.

HOLA4414

I know people who have places in Croatia, and they are not suffering at all as far as I know. Nothing wrong with having an investment property overseas as such, as long as you dont over borrow to buy it and have a geographically diverse market e.g. there are plenty of people from the rest of Europe that are within a fairly comfortable drive of croatia, or other holiday home destinations. Those pokey apartments in the middle of nowhere will most certainly suffer though.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I could never understand the concept of buying a second home abroad. Who wants to go to the same place year in/year out? Some maybe, but not most. And, also the cost of maintaining a second home, unless your going to have the grief of renting and the problems and liabilities that come with it..... As an investment, I guess maybe it made sense historically but certainly not anymore.

HOLA4417

O' Leary responded to this kind of bleating about 5 years ago. Something to the effect of 'Please don't ******ing expect me to feel sorry for rich people with second homes'. Don't journos have access to Lexis Nexis? Well ******ing use it you dimwit!

Edit:

Didn't see the post above saying similar. Anyone know why posts are showing in 'tree' format for me?

Edited by brianjamesos

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I could never understand the concept of buying a second home abroad. Who wants to go to the same place year in/year out? Some maybe, but not most. And, also the cost of maintaining a second home, unless your going to have the grief of renting and the problems and liabilities that come with it..... As an investment, I guess maybe it made sense historically but certainly not anymore.

I feel the same way about marriage.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
I thought only Americans got that wrong? It drives me mad to read things like, "I could care less!"

i quite like it - it implies that were circumstances different i might, but they're not, so i don't...

so gag me with a spooooon

HOLA4424
Guest X-QUORK
I was, like, trying to do Valley Girl. As anyone who has read my posts no, my gramma and sintacks is purfik.

Gotcha. Far too clever for me ;) .

FWIW you read well so I was shocked when I saw what turns out not to be an error, as it were.

HOLA4425