Guest theboltonfury

HOLA441
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...cram-board.html

Ryanair wants passengers to stand during its flights so the budget airline can squeeze more people onboard.

The Irish air carrier plans to cut costs by making fliers perch on stools with seatbelts around their waists.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary has already held talks with US plane manufacturer Boeing about designing an aircraft with standing room.

Should the idea get the go-ahead from the Irish Aviation Authority, the airline plans to either order new jets or refurbish its existing fleet.

Ryanair estimates it would be able to pack in 30 per cent more passengers while slashing costs by 20 per cent.

Spokesman Stephen McNamara said: 'It would be vertical seating more akin to a stool and the person would still be strapped in.

'The seating would completely adhere to safety procedures.

'It's really early days but we're looking at a 20 to 30 per cent increase in passengers on commuter routes.'

Passengers would be charged less if the scheme, inspired by similar plans recently put forward by Chinese airline Spring, is approved.

It is the latest in a series of cost-cutting measures at Ryanair.

The airline last month announced plans to make passengers carry all their own luggage up to planes.

Ryanair customers will carry all their bags and suitcases through security departure lounges rather than checking them in.

They can carry aboard one piece of hand luggage, but leave any other baggage beside the aircraft to be loaded into the hold. They then pick it up the same way on arrival.

Cattle class anyone?

Is this just a headline grabbing publicity stunt?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Von Ryan Air is already cattle class... flew it once, never again. shaky plane. boarding scrummage. novelty seating isn't going to get me on board

Ditto. Hardest landings I've ever experienced. Scared the sh!t out of me.

No wonder their called Ryan Scare.

HOLA4410
Guest sillybear2
Ditto. Hardest landings I've ever experienced. Scared the sh!t out of me.

No wonder their called Ryan Scare.

They do it on purpose... to shake any loose change out of your pockets.

HOLA4411

The Irish no-frills carrier is looking at the possibility of increasing capacity on flights by getting some passengers to squat on stools.

These passengers would pay less than those in "normal" seats or possibly fly for free.

Ryanair spokesman Stephen McNamara said that the airline's chief executive Michael O'Leary had already been in touch with aircraft manufacturer Boeing to see if such a scheme was feasible.

Mr McNamara said: "If it's possible, if we can get the IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) to approve it and if it can reduce fares even further we will be doing it."

Mr O'Leary told Sky News that he got the idea from the Chinese airline Spring, which said it could squeeze 50% more passengers on board and cut costs by 20%.

LINK

Beyond belief. Is this a publicity stunt? - One day someone will nail that grinning O'Leary to a tree.

EDIT:- Darn it, I was beaten to it :(

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest sillybear2
:lol:

Do they have surcharges for soiling the seats as well?

Once they've got everyone strapped to stools they'll start doing loop the loops.

HOLA4415
Ryanair estimates it would be able to pack in 30 per cent more passengers while slashing costs by 20 per cent

But will fares be slashed accordingly?

Frankly I wouldn't give the time of day to an airline that suggested the very notion, jest or not.

In fact joking about it makes it even more offensive.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
:lol:

Do they have surcharges for soiling the seats as well?

Judging by the vomit on the seats it would cost too much to check who had done the deed.

Note to mods:- That must be the fastest merged thread of all-time :o Respect

HOLA4418
The Irish no-frills carrier is looking at the possibility of increasing capacity on flights by getting some passengers to squat on stools.

These passengers would pay less than those in "normal" seats or possibly fly for free.

Ryanair spokesman Stephen McNamara said that the airline's chief executive Michael O'Leary had already been in touch with aircraft manufacturer Boeing to see if such a scheme was feasible.

Mr McNamara said: "If it's possible, if we can get the IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) to approve it and if it can reduce fares even further we will be doing it."

Mr O'Leary told Sky News that he got the idea from the Chinese airline Spring, which said it could squeeze 50% more passengers on board and cut costs by 20%.

LINK

Beyond belief. Is this a publicity stunt? - One day someone will nail that grinning O'Leary to a tree.

EDIT:- Darn it, I was beaten to it :(

The worlds worst airline. I hope it goes bust.

HOLA4419
Guest sillybear2
In fact joking about it makes it even more offensive.

Flight crews already refer to passengers as 'self loading cargo'.

HOLA4420

I dont see a problem with it myself. This is an airline which treats you like a moron from start to finish, they seem to take pleasure in it. There will be the option to get a seat, but you will pay for it.

I agree with the comments above re the landings, no idea why that is. I would love to stop going Ryanair myself, but unfortunately they run so many routes now that there is often little choice if you want to go to a specific place.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Who is old enough to remember Bob Newhart?

Famous for 'The Driving Instructor', he did many more monologues, one of them about a cheap no-frills carrier from the pre-jet days.

I can't find a free listen at the moment, but if anyone can please post it as it is so Ryanair.

"The Grace L. Ferguson Airline (And Storm Door Co.) " is the title.

HOLA4424

I'm always surprised at how angry people get when discussing Ryanair.

If you don't want to fly with them, there's still almost always a non-budget option available if you are prepared to pay the extra. Passenger numbers and almost consistent profits indicate that people just aren't doing that.

I personally am happy to take the small discomforts on short trips to the content. I can do without an overpriced sandwich and a leak for an hour and save my money for the destination. Others may be willing to pay these additional charges and good luck to them.

Someone above said they weren't 'viable'. Surely, they are more viable than almost any other airline as of today almost all of which are making massive losses.

HOLA4425

Archived