House Price Crash Forum

Housing Association Housing

HOLA441

Ive been lucky enough to get a housing association house near hereford after waiting nearly 5 years, no doubt some time in the future when the market has found it's natural balance i will have the oppertunity to buy it.

People at work have said it will never be my house unlike them whom have brought/young never seen a crash

I reckon in a few years i will be able to buy it for a steal and will be saving hard towards that day. I figure i can save £600 a month without stress.

The way i see it, there is little difference from what i am doing to those buying - the bank owns the houses they are buying and they own after 25 years and get to pay double, miss one payment they have a problem - miss three payments and they are on there way to reposession, loss there job - ****** you pay me says the bank, lose my job rent is £5 a week.

so now im going to save £600 for the next 4 to 5 years, who's better off?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Ive been lucky enough to get a housing association house near hereford after waiting nearly 5 years, no doubt some time in the future when the market has found it's natural balance i will have the oppertunity to buy it.

People at work have said it will never be my house unlike them whom have brought/young never seen a crash

I reckon in a few years i will be able to buy it for a steal and will be saving hard towards that day. I figure i can save £600 a month without stress.

The way i see it, there is little difference from what i am doing to those buying - the bank owns the houses they are buying and they own after 25 years and get to pay double, miss one payment they have a problem - miss three payments and they are on there way to reposession, loss there job - ****** you pay me says the bank, lose my job rent is £5 a week.

Well you get secure housing for life and a below market rent plus entitlement to housing benefit if you lose your job - they lose their job and they get repossessed.

HOLA445
Well you get secure housing for life and a below market rent plus entitlement to housing benefit if you lose your job - they lose their job and they get repossessed.

Yes, but they could do the same, I just joined a list 4 years ago and kept bidding every 2 weeks. Made over 200 bids. It helps to have children also i'm afraid. but it's about time - i have been renting in the private sector for 4 years and it is no fun having a landlord not want to rent the property anymore for one reason or another, it's not fun moving children from school to school either.

It seems to risky in this country with boom and bust and now the biggest bust of all - one we will struggle to recover from - we have an energy crisis coming because of a massive failure to plan ahead and we have an oil crisis that will be the last oil crisis coming and it will pan out over the next two decades not allowing us to grow our way out of debt and leaving a large under class jobless for decades.

Buying a house? In my opinion anyone taking out a 25 year mortgage now will not find gainful employment for the term of the loan to pay it off.

HOLA446

As far as I am aware the right to buy system works differently for housing association properties. You will probably find the discount is nowhere near as generous as for council properties.

HOLA447
And you live in:

a qualifying property

a property that was built or acquired by a housing association, both charitable and non-charitable, with public funds from 01 April 1997 onwards

a property that was transferred from a local authority to a housing association after 1 April 1997

worth checking its a qualifying property before you hold your breath for 6 years.

HOLA448

Please check your documentation and check with the housing association.

I came close to buying one a number of years back - and when I went through the intial process asking if I could buy out-right, was told of course.

It wasn't until I sent in a letter asking for assurance that I could 100% buy the property I was informed that under that particular govt scheme - although set-up since 2005 - meant that no-one in that particular block - could buy 100% because they needed to keep the pool of properties - you could buy 95% but then you'd have to sell on the open market and pay what the housing assoc valuer said - you also couldn't get in an independent valuer.

HOLA449
Please check your documentation and check with the housing association.

I came close to buying one a number of years back - and when I went through the intial process asking if I could buy out-right, was told of course.

It wasn't until I sent in a letter asking for assurance that I could 100% buy the property I was informed that under that particular govt scheme - although set-up since 2005 - meant that no-one in that particular block - could buy 100% because they needed to keep the pool of properties - you could buy 95% but then you'd have to sell on the open market and pay what the housing assoc valuer said - you also couldn't get in an independent valuer.

It was built in the 1950's. Even if i can only buy 95% i will, at least i know my kids will be housed. What is housing anyways? It's a place to live for the rest of your life if the house is nice and the area is nice.

The area is in pristine English countryside 5 mins from a famous 10th century town.

HOLA4410

My housing association make me laugh a little sometimes.

I have received the odd letter over the last twelve months telling me how it's the ideal time for me to buy the rest of my house.

I currently only own 25%.

They can keep their 75% thanks and I'll keep paying the £120 month a rent.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

if you can save 600 quid a month why are you needing a HA house? this is a serious question. i've been saving 4-500 a month for the last few years while paying a fortune in rent and i just assumed this was normal. maybe i'm wrong, what are the conditions to get a HA house? for what it's worth, i don't agree with the majority of the way the british welfare system is managed but i won't say more than that right now.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'm in a HA and obviously its a bargain to live here. Great place to live, neighbours who I know and will know for decades.

The Right to Acquire discount is pretty pointless. 2 to 6%.

I don't know how they do valuations but I suspect you could get a better discount on the open market by haggling.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
The way i see it, there is little difference from what i am doing to those buying

The main difference is that those buying are decent people who pay their own way, whereas housing association tenants are parasite scum taking advantage of the kindness of their fellow citizens.

HTH.

Thatg

HOLA4417

WE ARE !!

this is what i did a while back. these HA flats/houses are like gold dust. theres a 4-5 year waiting list.

its no suprise. on my estate most are bought by people who shouldnt have been allowed too.

other than being a tad small its ok. safe. and when anything breaks - you call a phone and get no bill !!!

meanwhile my cash assets are safely secret squirreled...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
WE ARE !!

this is what i did a while back. these HA flats/houses are like gold dust. theres a 4-5 year waiting list.

its no suprise. on my estate most are bought by people who shouldnt have been allowed too.

other than being a tad small its ok. safe. and when anything breaks - you call a phone and get no bill !!!

meanwhile my cash assets are safely secret squirreled...

so you're a benefits cheat? well done, i applaud you.

HOLA4420
so you're a benefits cheat? well done, i applaud you.

Why is he a benefits cheat? He applied like i did and we got housed. I also applied for a mortgage and was refused (not due to bad credit as i have no bad credit) but due to the BTL brigade and Lier loans brigade. So what where we supposed to do? remain hostage to BTL scum feeding off those of us that work 40 hours a week - to continue to be quarterly harrased with house inspections and continue to feel we have an over lord?

I'm 42 and only ever been out of work twice for short periods of time, we have families and shelter is a human right - maybe not in your funny logic but i bet yoor one of those scummy overlords?

HA's are non profit orgs and they built housing from monies they make from rents - they aim to house people in quality affordable housing, they receive litle or no monies from government, so how is he a benefits cheat?

HOLA4421
The main difference is that those buying are decent people who pay their own way, whereas housing association tenants are parasite scum taking advantage of the kindness of their fellow citizens.

HTH.

Thatg

Why exactly is that then? I just dont follow your floored logic. The house i am renting was built in the 1950's so it's brought and paid for. The rent i will be paying will help the HA to build the 50 houses a year it builds from the proceeds of rent, those houses will be offered to local people at affordable rents - people like me whom cannot get a mortgage because of parasites like the so called decent sub prime - Btl - Liar loan brigade who helped FUBAR the banking system and the likes of Krustie **** slop whom coaxed people into gettting into a lifetime of debt. what kindness of fellows citizens? The only people whom contribute to HA's are the tenats nobody is asking you to pay - HA's do not receive government funding.

HOLA4422

I dont agree with people being able to buy council houses, as no matter what you say this is the reason why there is a shortage, as they havent rebuilt new ones with the money received over the last 25 years, if there were more available council housing, private sector housing would be far cheaper.

HOLA4423
I dont agree with people being able to buy council houses, as no matter what you say this is the reason why there is a shortage, as they havent rebuilt new ones with the money received over the last 25 years, if there were more available council housing, private sector housing would be far cheaper.

I dont agree with them not building new council housing with the proceeds of the sales receipts - but then that was a conservative policy wasnt it.

HOLA4424

Why on earth would you let go of an assured tenancy to saddle yourself with a lifetime of debt *shakes head*

I am very happy that when I die my small bit of housing will go to someone else, so they can escape this tyranny.

We have a better community around our council housing and housing association area than I have ever experienced in your 'posh' private areas, they are all dicks, stupid too in the main.

HOLA4425
I dont agree with them not building new council housing with the proceeds of the sales receipts - but then that was a conservative policy wasnt it.

I think that the 'Right To Buy' must rank as one of the worst government policies in living memory. How could it ever have been deemed positive to sell off a limited stock of housing designed as a safety net for people who could not afford to house themselves?

The fact that they sold it to people who had been paying a tiny rent for years, and that those people jumped at the chance to make a quick buck at the expense of guaranteed long term housing is very symptomatic of the situation we now find ourselves in.