HOLA441
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Lots of positions appearing in the energy industry, but generally that means the rest of you are about to start paying a lot more for the use of electricity and gas.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Not in construction.

I expect things to deteriorate further in late summer/early autumn as existing contracts end. Construction activity is an excellent economic indicator - and its dire.

Have alook at the Manchester skyline - the only cranes are at media city.

My mates in IT are not optimistic either.

HOLA445
HOLA446

The IT jobs market is still officially in a death spiral, although there are always niches where there aren't many good people.

Our local Tesco has 0 vacancies. That tells me all I need to know about how bad the jobs market is.

HOLA447
Do you believe that the English language's 'correctness' is derived from the language in use or from the previous rule set?

In truth, both of your are correct.

What? So the more idiots bastardise the language the more correct their bastardised version becomes?

Their and there are not interchangeable. Not ever.

HOLA448
Started noticing more jobs being advertised in the IT sector (London).

If my usual yardstick (ie, overbids for my time) is anything to go by this could well be what's become euphamistically known around these parts as a "spring bounce"; I wouldn't go extending the mortgage just yet, in other words, if you've suddenly been offered six roles this week after a three month vacuum - my own phone has never been busier...

What I would do is take heed of ?...!'s advice - be very ready to work harder, work smarter, work longer, or some combination of all three.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Started noticing more jobs being advertised in the IT sector (London). Plus a few of my mates have found jobs after being on the dole for a while in Manchester (Low Level work there not educated or anything)

I was going to ask this the other day. Im noticing it too. Yes, same sector. Lots of mail regarding IT jobs in London.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
My mate works in IT for a big City firm - been there over 15 years and 4/10 being made redundant next week - works for a huge company - everyone is terrified. I work in marketing/advertising and its carnage out here.

4/10 is written 2/5. I'm a mathematician, I like being precise :)

Edit :

Should really be a ratio rather than a fraction too. 2:5 will keep job.

Edited by I want a house!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I read 4/10 as meaning that there are 10 employees, 4 of which are losing their jobs. If the fraction is simplified to 2/5 we lose information.

Perhaps if one lack education, yes, but to me 4/10 is an equilvalent fraction for 2/5 and 2/5 is correct form. Also, it shouldn't be a fraction either as it's a ratio. In mathematics, we simplify everything and if one's brain cannot differentiate between 2:5 and 4:10, that speaks volumes of their understanding of simple mathematics.

:)

HOLA4421
Perhaps if one lack education, yes, but to me 4/10 is an equilvalent fraction for 2/5 and 2/5 is correct form. Also, it shouldn't be a fraction either as it's a ratio. In mathematics, we simplify everything and if one's brain cannot differentiate between 2:5 and 4:10, that speaks volumes of their understanding of simple mathematics.

That speaks volumes of your understanding of human psychology. Since we predominantly think in decimal (or perhaps you do it in binary or octal? :P ), it is easier for normal humans to think about things in tens rather than fives. My kids at school are taught to work out things in units, tens, hundreds, etc. We can both stop being pedantic now.

Edited by mikthe20

HOLA4422

I've noticed that it has improved very slightly. Back in March and April there was pretty much nothing but since May there has been an improvement. A weak improvement but an improvement nonetheless. I'm still applying for a lot of jobs though, no luck so far.

HOLA4423

Surely if the ratio is 2:5 then this means that if 4 people have lost their jobs then 10 have kept theirs? That's not the same as 40% losing and 60% keeping is it?

HOLA4424
That speaks volumes of your understanding of human psychology. Since we predominantly think in decimal (or perhaps you do it in binary or octal? :P ), it is easier for normal humans to think about things in tens rather than fives. My kids at school are taught to work out things in units, tens, hundreds, etc. We can both stop being pedantic now.

I never said anything about psychology. I'm good with binary too seeing I've engineered digital circuits, written code for PCs in various languages, etc. All numbers based on 2, even a computer can understand that, but floats are a pain to compute in my head, IEEE 754 is a pain.

Not my problem that the norm only can do maths based of physiology, not psychology. You have 10 fingers hence 10 based mathematics. Did you know the babylonians didn't use decimals and they did a-okay with mathematics. We still use some of their maths today, degrees, time...

How old are your kids, if below 10, I hope they are being taught decimal places and units but we're adults, we should speak correctly, especially when it comes to figures.

So I disagree :)

HOLA4425