HOLA442
Dear All

I have just completed on a house today.

I managed to tick all my boxes:

- 32% off peak price in Aug 2007

- Secured with a >60% Deposit

- Mortgage <2.5 x Joint gross income

- 10 Year Fixed Repayment mortgage at 4.99% which allows overpayments

- House is a large family home which is ideal for us (close to schools, double garage, SW garden, ideal location etc etc)

- No intention of moving for many many years.

As many of you know we STR'd in Aug 2007 and have been renting ever since. For me all the signs are their for a massive INFLATION in the near future.

Cash in Northern Rock deposit felt secure but was earning paltry interest after the end of fixed bond - and was no longer covering rent by a long way.

I sincerely believe that an event is coming that will debase global currencies.

Tipping point fast approaching.

I believe I have hedged my position and history will show my decision to be correct.

It's been a fascinating process the last 5 years - however I'm getting off. A pleasure to have learnt so much from some of you.

Good Luck to all and whatever decisions you make.

DB

Good for you about your house and all, but unlucky about having the debt with it. Lets hope you both keep your jobs and stay healthy so you can pay it off. Good luck!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Hmm...interesting, and good luck. If this will be your home, then who cares how much you paid for it. Just remember - you might not be able to get your wealth back out of the house in the future.

And I will leave you with a chart (with kind acknowledgement from Nadeem Walayat) to ponder:

uk-house-prices-april2009.gif

These next 10 years will be unlike the last 50, so all the best to you....

Interesting graph

Looks to me as if you could buy a house now at the equivalent of, what, 145 ? with a bit of negotiation. Prices (ignoring inflation ;) ) will trundle down to perhaps 130, but that might be over the next 3 years. So you might lose 12% over 3 years. Offset the rent and it starts to get a bit closer

I'm not advocating buying yet, but I can kind of see why people might be starting to be tempted if they think that phase 1 (steep crash) is transitioning to phase 2 (slow decline)

edit: I'd be inclined to wait a bit myself and see if the rate of fall really is moderating. If it's not, then waiting 6-9 months might be well worth doing.

Edited by Mal Volio

HOLA447
I agree. There are too many self satisfied smug bastards on this topic. So what! They jumped in and bought a house, 30per cent below peak. Just what they wanted, mortgage free in ten years blah blah blah. Why dont you Daddy Bear just resist the urge to gloat and brag about your acumen and great good luck and enjoy your two and a half times joint income house!

To be fair, he's had the guts to put his money where his mouth is, and has then posted about it on here. He thinks we're going to get high inflation (say above 10%) soon (i.e. within the next year or two), in which case buying now on a 10 year fixed rate mortgage at such a low rate is the right play. There have been others on here making similar predictions about impending high inflation, but if that's what they believe then they should be doing exactly what DB has done (assuming they are looking to buy a house at some point).

HOLA448
HOLA449
To be fair, he's had the guts to put his money where his mouth is, and has then posted about it on here. He thinks we're going to get high inflation (say above 10%) soon (i.e. within the next year or two), in which case buying now on a 10 year fixed rate mortgage at such a low rate is the right play. There have been others on here making similar predictions about impending high inflation, but if that's what they believe then they should be doing exactly what DB has done (assuming they are looking to buy a house at some point).

FEAR the driver of todays spring bounce.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
I've been watching and waiting for HPC regulars to jump ship as a bellwether for the next wave down.

The question is: Once cash rich people have parted with their money, who is left to buy houses at today's prices?

(FTB's needing 20% deposits? BTL?)

Nobody.

Thats will be the bottom of the market, the rise will come when the average FTB's have saved the 20% of the 3.5 earnings average house price.

Well, a couple of years after. Only an idiot would buy a house at that point.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There will only be a minority of winners in this game ie those who held their nerve.

Buying now is just too silly to contemplate. The slide hasn't even kicked in properly yet.

Give it a couple of years. Of course it's gets boring, and doubt sets in.

But really.... WAIT.

HOLA4415
I wish you well. Unfortunately inflation may work against you, continuing to drive down the value of your house in real terms. In years to come we may find property back not to 2004 prices but back to 1995 prices in real terms. In this kind of market, it pays to be patient. I guess you waited 5 years and that was enough. Anyway, all the best.

Ummm it doesn't really matter what the real value does if the nominal value increases you still have to pay more for it so if a house rises less than inflation you are not losing out especially with a 10 year fix

so you've blown your savings on an illiquid, immobile asset which is rapidly falling in value and easily taxable.

genius! :blink:

Obviously never owned a property. A mortgage with overpayment facility gives you a limitless ISA allowance so if you are a higher rate tax payer and your rate is 5% you are basically saving the equivalent on an overpayment as if you were to get 9% on your savings. Property is illiquid but not immobile... most mortgages are portable. With a 60% deposit he will not fall into negative equity and thus can move whenever he likes.

buy tangibles.

wow. Give the man a PhD in vagueness.

Edited by nohpc

HOLA4416

Good luck to Daddy Bear. You can slag him off all you like but to date he has been correct. Sold at peak etc.

I to see the world as Daddy Bear does, indeed all our planning at work is based now on high inflation scenarios and as such we are taking the necessary action to protect the company.

So, given I come to the same view then if you are in £'s perhaps you need to start thinking about converting it into assets (not gold btw, thats for the delusional). And a house is as good a place as any, its tangible, you need it and being leveraged in a high inflation environment so long as you protect yourself against the resulting increase in interests rates is not a bad position to be in.

Holding debt could be good, how perverse? Think 70's Britain.

We have had one of our offers accepted very recently and have just begun the process of buying back in. Hopefully we will complete I will then post the details on here and you can make your own mind up as to the deal we have got.

There are those on here who hold the STR'ers in almost the same contempt as BTL's. Of course those of us that forecast the market and STR'd did well out of it, by selling the house(s) to the bigger fool and you may well find this distasteful. Although we have benefited financially from the boom in house prices, I still personally find it disgusting that it was ever aloud to happen and get to the level it did. But, ladies and gentlemen their are lessons to be learnt, so learn from the lessons, you can never beat a market so never try to, try and buy near or close to the bottom, but never try and forecast the bottom and buy back in when you feel you have got the price you want not what you think tomorrow's price will be, it never comes (unless you are very lucky).

HOLA4417
average prices will trundle down to 3 times salary....thats about 90K with the dpeosits.

Or maybe, with high inflation, average salaries will trundle up to a third of todays nominal house prices?

If a house currently costs say 150k on average, and the current average wage is say 30k, then with wages increasing at 10% a year, I calculate it'll take just over 5 years for average wages to reach the required 50k.

HOLA4418
Guest vicmac64

Congrats - the main thing is you have thought it through - that differentiates you to the sheeple that bought into the boom. Way to go - keep on posting on the site.

HOLA4419

That graph of Fortune's suggests 40% off peak. OP bought at 32% off peak. Bottoms are very difficult to time.

And he has fixed at 5% for the next decade, which is a great hedge. Nobody ever paid less than that (who with, OP?)

And his interest on his savings was nearly nil, so renting was costing money.

I too should probably have bought under such circumstances.

HOLA4420
It's been a fascinating process the last 5 years - however I'm getting off. A pleasure to have learnt so much from some of you.

Good Luck to all and whatever decisions you make.

DB

Notice to all !!

Beware of new troll logging on ramping up house prices !

HOLA4421

Congratulation!

It's great to see your assumptions of the future economy and putting your plan into action.

For me, I am still waiting....

I believe, the house price crash this time would be a long bottom 'U' shape instead of 'V' shape. House price will stay low for long time after it hit the bottom.

Base on this assumption/prediction, low price will stay low for long time to let everyone knows. No need to jump in hurry.

Hopefully, fortune favours patience.

HOLA4422
Or maybe, with high inflation, average salaries will trundle up to a third of todays nominal house prices?

If a house currently costs say 150k on average, and the current average wage is say 30k, then with wages increasing at 10% a year, I calculate it'll take just over 5 years for average wages to reach the required 50k.

makes no difference either way.

but wages are not going up at the moment.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
It does to me, buying with cash

sorry, i was refering to the income ratio and the likelyhood of a real price fall.

if inflation takes off, your interest rates will climb too, although, of course, not sufficient to beat inflation. however, loans too will become more expensive forcing homes to be even lower in real terms.

HOLA4425
sorry, i was refering to the income ratio and the likelyhood of a real price fall.

if inflation takes off, your interest rates will climb too, although, of course, not sufficient to beat inflation. however, loans too will become more expensive forcing homes to be even lower in real terms.

Yes - then it becomes a balancing act twixt erosion of STR fund and fall in house prices. In real terms.