Guest Daddy Bear

Dear All

I have just completed on a house today.

I managed to tick all my boxes:

- 32% off peak price in Aug 2007

- Secured with a >60% Deposit

- Mortgage <2.5 x Joint gross income

- 10 Year Fixed Repayment mortgage at 4.99% which allows overpayments

- House is a large family home which is ideal for us (close to schools, double garage, SW garden, ideal location etc etc)

- No intention of moving for many many years.

As many of you know we STR'd in Aug 2007 and have been renting ever since. For me all the signs are their for a massive INFLATION in the near future.

Cash in Northern Rock deposit felt secure but was earning paltry interest after the end of fixed bond - and was no longer covering rent by a long way.

I sincerely believe that an event is coming that will debase global currencies.

Tipping point fast approaching.

I believe I have hedged my position and history will show my decision to be correct.

It's been a fascinating process the last 5 years - however I'm getting off. A pleasure to have learnt so much from some of you.

Good Luck to all and whatever decisions you make.

DB

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Dear All

- House is a large family home which is ideal for us (close to schools, double garage, SW garden, ideal location etc etc)

As many of you know we STR'd in Aug 2007 and have been renting ever since. For me all the signs are their for a massive INFLATION in the near future.

Cash in Northern Rock deposit felt secure but was earning paltry interest after the end of fixed bond - and was no longer covering rent by a long way.

I believe I have hedged my position and history will show my decision to be correct.

It's been a fascinating process the last 5 years - however I'm getting off. A pleasure to have learnt so much from some of you.

DB

I like your style and share your outlook - good luck!

HOLA445

I wish you well. Unfortunately inflation may work against you, continuing to drive down the value of your house in real terms. In years to come we may find property back not to 2004 prices but back to 1995 prices in real terms. In this kind of market, it pays to be patient. I guess you waited 5 years and that was enough. Anyway, all the best.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Dear All

DB

tipping point fast approaching, yet a lender gave you a 10 year fix.

theres fear in the banks.

HOLA449
Dear All

DB

Well done, especially as you timed your STR so perfectly. I would jump in too if I could find the right thing for 32% off peak price. Hope you enjoy your house!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Good luck.

If you're buying to live there for many years, your payments are easily affordable and ultimately are HAPPY, then you've won.

Better than buying at the peak and gulping as your virtual money is spunked up the wall.

HOLA4412
Guest Daddy Bear
:ph34r:

:D

never come back to this forum

That's one of the main reasons why I bought a house. Bored of this HPC stuff now...

:blink:

HOLA4413
:ph34r:

:lol:;)

dash for assets ... me, not tempted, maybe i is the fool but not tempted to buy, not one bit

Good luck to you, I think youve done well whatever happens next.

Just one word of advice, never come back to this forum, you need to beak free!

ah that must be his swan song :P

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

For those not in position to buy but are concerned by inflation.

It maybe wise to put some funds [10-25%] into hard assets close to their production costs, which did not take part in the credit bubble.

That would be a low risk play, and provide a inflation hedge without committing the majority of ones capital to an illiquid asset, which is still, to many, unaffordable.

Good luck to the OP - a home should be just that.

Edited by Lord Sandwich

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Interesting.

I didn't know that one could get a fix for 10 years.

Your decision seems to be based on the expectation that the following inequality holds.

(Cash + interest accrued on cash - rent) in real terms < (House market value - interest on mortgage) in real terms

or equivalently, in the future,

Cash + interest accrued on cash + interest on mortgage < House market value + rent

At the present rate of fall in house prices, which will probably continue for a few more years, albiet at a slower rate, I don't really believe this inequality will hold. High inflation is usually offset by high interest rates, I believe, so if inflation takes off, it would be covered by interest accrued in an account. But the 10 year fix would, of course, be an advantage if inflation and interest rates rose considerably.

Well, that's my analysis done after a day's work. Feel free to correct any fault in the argument.

In any case, congratulations on making a decision with which, I believe, you are happy and good luck.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest Daddy Bear
so you've blown your savings on an illiquid, immobile asset which is rapidly falling in value and easily taxable.

genius! :blink:

and what would you do with it?

.......put it in a big hole in the ground and jizz off to it every night?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Daddy Bear
r u just 34 then? no offence but my eiderdown is older than u, i can remember being 34 - tend to think brain a bit fuller at that age than it could be, anyways good luck son
no offence but my eiderdown is older than u

no offence taken.

:lol:

HOLA4425
?

Should be easily paid off in 10 years...

Mortgage free at < 45 years old...

Assuming your income is safe for 10 years.

Mina (mortgage free at 37, 5 years ago) - and would never borrow as much as you have.

:P