House Price Crash Forum

Well I Must Be Stupid?!? Opinions Please.

HOLA441

Ok people this is my 1st place, ive been renting since i left uni in 2004. and got the now or never feeling at the end of 2008. so ive been looking for a small 1 bed flat in sheffield. i found a few i liked but one was in an idea location for me... in between my favourite pub and work. so to cut a long story short, i made a final offer that was excepted. contracts have been exchanged and is due to complete tomorrow. The flat was on at £80k, £75k, so on .... then finally reduced to £65k. the offer i had accepted was just over £60k.

the property last sold at the end of 2003 for £73k and was prob in better condition then. i guess my question is who thinks ive paid too much and who thinks its a reasonable gamble, and does anyone think ive got a good deal based on the previous price?

i understand its not going to be easy to answer without knowing the flat/area. just after a general idea.

HOLA442
Ok people this is my 1st place, ive been renting since i left uni in 2004. and got the now or never feeling at the end of 2008. so ive been looking for a small 1 bed flat in sheffield. i found a few i liked but one was in an idea location for me... in between my favourite pub and work. so to cut a long story short, i made a final offer that was excepted. contracts have been exchanged and is due to complete tomorrow. The flat was on at £80k, £75k, so on .... then finally reduced to £65k. the offer i had accepted was just over £60k.

the property last sold at the end of 2003 for £73k and was prob in better condition then. i guess my question is who thinks ive paid too much and who thinks its a reasonable gamble, and does anyone think ive got a good deal based on the previous price?

i understand its not going to be easy to answer without knowing the flat/area. just after a general idea.

Meh. It's not like you've bought a flash car or a mail order bride. Sheesh!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Well you have done it now and got 18% off the 2003 price - I would be happy to buy at that sort of level.

HOLA446

2002 prices ? Nice work. Still likely to go lower* but not bad.

Edinburgh flats are probably at about 2006 prices now. So you lot are 4 years ahead of us. Or behind us. I have confused myself.. :blink:

Anyway - Good luck !!

* Without the details none of us can give a better idea

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

to know if it's a reasonable gamble would need to know a bit more such as - salary, job security, amount down, amount left over for furnishing/emergencies, average rental price in your area should you need to move away temporarily and want to rent it out.

Price sounds reasonable so long as nothing has happened since last purchase such as flooding or new development planned in the area.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Oh for the day you will be able to buy a 1 bed flat for £60k in London - ignoring Dagenham and south east London of course! :lol:

We are offering 20% below on a beautiful stone terrace that needs a shedload of work tommorrw... VERY nervous!

12 year mortgage payments will be 900 per month! ;) fixed at 5% for 10 years!

HOLA4416
if you've got your costs covered, a fair deposit and stable work then fair enough s'ppose

what job do you do?

haha, a bit of a loser job ATM, but it pays the bills and i cant complain with so many out of work. i work in a call centre so am only on about £17k (i have a computing degree :blink: ) but am hopefully training soon to become a Union rep with the CWU.

my deposit was 35%

Edited by j1979

HOLA4417
haha, a bit of a loser job ATM, but it pays the bills and i cant complain with so many out of work. i work in a call centre so am only on about £17k (i have a computing degree :blink: ) but am hopefully training soon to become a Union rep with the CWU.

my deposit was 35%

don't knock it - if you were in a public sector non job my eyes would have rolled, but you do something real

I met someone who started in call centres and ended up a senior exec on 6 fig salary inside 15 yrs

whether you have the talent or not - time will tell - but frankly I find it hard to knock you. good luck

Edited by Si1

HOLA4418

I suspect if you sell up in about 10 years you will neither make much money or lose much money. If you're happy with your new home that's what matters.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Deposit of 35%, property at £60k, what are you worried about? Thats a realistic price, a good chunk in deposit to keep the mortgage payments down... you could probably afford the mortgage on the dole! As long as you have a semi-reasonable job you're laughing!

Good on you though and enjoy your new home.

HOLA4421

The most you can lose is 60k. You may end up in negative equity at some stage, maybe for a long time, but what would an equivalent place cost to rent? It sounds like you are 25ish - probably a fair while before you wish to settle down with a family. It sounds like it is in a good position for you and you got it for significantly less than the 2003 sale price. At the realistic absolute worst you could lose half the price at todays value which would be £30k...on the scale of possible financial mistakes, that one wouldn't be life destroying (unlike some of the people around where I live who have paid £280k for a small 2up 2 down).

In summary, without knowing much else about the area and the property, it doesn't sound like a bad decision. Enjoy your new home.

Edited by D'oh

HOLA4422

2002 price is ok, big deposit is ok...however I would have bought a bigger place for a little more as you could have rented out a room to help pay mortgage and bills/save upto either pay it down or buy a second property in the trough.

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4423

my deposit was 35%

Well done on saving a 35% deposit. If the rest of the country had been as prudent, we wouldn't be in our current mess.

Good luck.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
I did once buy a 2 bed flat in kensington for £120k.... but that was in 1991... bottom of the last crash.

That was good value - even then.

I bought a 1 bed flat in Ealing in 1991 - £78K. Couldn't afford a 2 bed, they sold for £99K.