House Price Crash Forum

Govt To Introduce £2000 Trade In On Used Cars...

nuts

HOLA441
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

There's a built in problem here. Most people who run round in cars over 10 years old (like myself) aren't very likley to be trading up to a brand-new car!

Will there be a trade for selling bangers to people who want to buy new cars just so they can get the discount? I mean, if you can sell a tired but roadworthy old Morris Minor for £900 to someone who can scrap it to get £2000 off a new car....

I don't know the details, but I think it could thin out the lower end of the market for preserved classic cars.

This would be a new business opportunity for someone

Edited by blankster

HOLA444
that's already happening in america to obama.

I feel sorry for the next pm.

This is brilliant!!! :lol:

Current car: Crappy 10 year old VW polo estate 1.9 diesel. Emissions? about 130 g/Km. Current value around 1K.

New car, I couldnt afford until this came along: Audi S3 TDI 217 g/km. 1 year old from dealership.

Plus Co2 for construction and disposal of my old car.

Well, at least I am getting some of my tax back for a change.

HOLA445

The only reason for this scheme is to get people borrowing again to help bail out the banks.

Interest rates are at half a percent and personal loans are at 8%. Nice work if you can get it.

More Government scamming to get the sheep to bail out the banks.

This two grand discount won't even cover the depreciation on the new car in the time it takes

you to drive it from the forecourt to your drive. As all new cars depreciate by around 25%

the minute you drive it from the dealers.

HOLA446

Lets see now, buy up cheap cars below say £500. Send them for scrapping, collect £2000 voucher per car, sell vouchers on e-bay for £1500 each, make about £1000 profit per car. This will leave the taxpayer funding organized crime, this truly is a miracle economy.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

HOLA447
Lets see now, buy up cheap cars below say £500. Send them for scrapping, collect £2000 voucher per car, sell vouchers on e-bay for £1500 each, make about £1000 profit per car. This will leave the taxpayer funding organized crime, this truly is a miracle economy.

youve just made the case for ID cards

HOLA448
There's a built in problem here. Most people who run round in cars over 10 years old (like myself) aren't very likley to be trading up to a brand-new car!

Same here. So I would get £2,000, but I still need to find another £7,000.

Plus the sheeple probably still can't grasp the fact that I haven't been buying new cars because of house price inflation.

HOLA449
The only reason for this scheme is to get people borrowing again to help bail out the banks.

Interest rates are at half a percent and personal loans are at 8%. Nice work if you can get it.

More Government scamming to get the sheep to bail out the banks.

This two grand discount won't even cover the depreciation on the new car in the time it takes

you to drive it from the forecourt to your drive. As all new cars depreciate by around 25%

the minute you drive it from the dealers.

Good job this scheme will cover cars up to 1 year old then that are sold at main dealer. :rolleyes:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
At last!

I've been hanging on to my 15 year old citroen AX in anticipation of the government doing something this stupid!

Well i hope you take out a big loan, the banks are paying their savers 0.5% but will be happy to lend

at 8%, as the price of the new car you buy falls by about 50% in two years, still you will make the

banks a fortune.

Edited by time 2 raise interest rates

HOLA4414
Well i hope you take out a big loan, the banks are paying their savers 0.5% but will be happy to lend

at 8%, as the price of the new car you buy falls by about 50% in two years, still you will make the

banks a fortune.

Never heard of 0% apr Credit cards?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I know. Blindingly Cleaver Arn't They. K Knot. Stupid MUPPETS. LOL

HOLA4417
Even better the banks are paying their savers 0.5% but you can buy it on the credit card for 15%

interest, as the price of your new car crashes by 50% in two years.

Where have you been, 0% was so 07.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/cards/

Wrong.

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/credit-ca...AGG-50562-55904

https://wwwa.mbna.co.uk/apply/UKCCapp/Ctl/e...-AC-22222-11166

and plenty more where that came from

HOLA4418

So it looks like the best thing to do is to save up for a couple of years, then buy a 2 year old car

at 50% less than a new one, stick a personal number plate on it for a couple of hundred quid,

sorted. The neighbours will be talking about you for weeks. You'll see the curtain twitch every

time you pull on the drive, and save a fortune.

HOLA4419

Ha,ha they all have a 3% fee, yeah lets all pay 3% more for our new cars, then after 18 months the interest

rate are at 16%. I bet you are loaded. lol.

HOLA4420
Guest eight
erm havent seen a car that old in about the last 5 years

I've got a 10 year old Hyundai. It does 40mpg and is basically reliable.

Why should I be encouraged to replace it?

eight

HOLA4421
Another PR stunt I'm afraid.

There really can't be many 9 year old cars about.

Furthermore, those running an old car are hardly likely to be loaded or extravagant with money (a new car unlikely to be on the agenda).

Another ridiculous waste of taxpayers' money. And bound to encourage scams.

If a shop has excess stock it has a sale, slashes prices and generates some sales. The car industry piles up cars at docks and on airstrips. Fvck 'em, they deserve to go bust.

What is it with this useless government and subsidising the inefficient and incompetent?

Tinker, there are quite a few 10 year old cars around, and the scheme apparently worked well in Germany, causing queues.

Why that should be, I don't know. £2K off an already price increased expensive car? Sheeple syndrome. Just a gimmick. And more on taxpayers' bills.

Still, the neighbour that lives on the other side of me will save the day. He never goes out.

Gets the bus everywhere, and wears the same clothes he was wearing when I moved in

4 years ago. He can just start doing a bit more overtime to pick up the bill for when me and

Dave go bankrupt, and his taxes soar to foot the bill for the bank bail outs.

They're not the same clothes, I changed them in 2007 !

Well it wont rust will it. The A6 is I believe aluminium not steel it wont ever rust.

I didn't know Audis were made of aluminium, only buses are usually.

If someone absolutely has to have a new car, why can't they just buy a £2000 cheaper new car?

Yeah good point. Won't be able to now, the dealers will hike the prices and refuse discounts. Clever old Govt...

HOLA4422

This could work out pretty well for me.

I've got a Rover 414, 14 years old bought 4 years ago for 1k (It was in A1 condition, FSH 60k miles) If I get a problem with the car I can just scrap it, get the voucher and buy something like a Panda diesel for 6k (4k with voucher!) or a Honda Jazz 1.2 for 7.5k with voucher (!?) My original plan was to drive it for 5 years so pretty much on target. I wonder how long this scheme will last? Perhaps a year?

On the other hand, perhaps buying a 1 to 2 year old good quality saloon for 9 0r 10k might be a better bet, even without the voucher.

Btw, I'm one of those who has the cash, even though I currently drive a 'banger.'

But.....I'm against this plan in general as most 9 year old years should not be anywhere near a scrap yard, 20 years would be much better and perhaps any new cars bought should have low emissions, how about less than 120grams per km?

HOLA4423
Hmmm i see trouble

Old cars valued below 2k will rise in price (because they are worth 2k)

Old cars valued above 2k will fall in price further (as they are only worth 2k scrapped)

New Car prices will rise in price

This will distort the market, in a very weird way especially as you get a 2k off discount voucher, most new cars are already discounted by at least this is going to make it harder to negotiate on a new car price. Whats even weirder is that there is new green tax that increases the tax on new cars by 2k due to energy costs in mfgture!

main dealers willjust hike by £2k.why is it so hard for Gordon to not see this?

Any discount stright in the dealers pocket much like the the VAT cut. What a bunch of clueless twats.

HOLA4424
main dealers willjust hike by £2k.why is it so hard for Gordon to not see this?

Any discount stright in the dealers pocket much like the the VAT cut. What a bunch of clueless twats.

That's the whole point, the banks make a fortune on the loan and the main dealer makes a fortune

on his price hike. It seems the only loser is the one buying the car. Still nothing new there.

HOLA4425
I've got a 10 year old Hyundai. It does 40mpg and is basically reliable.

Why should I be encouraged to replace it?

eight

Because you are polluting the planet with harmfull emission which in turn is causing the sea level to rise and the rains to fall in the wrong areas. Polar Bears are now finding it difficult to find mates in the Noth Pole as the ice is melting leaving them marooned and floating around the world on iceburgs all on their lonesome without even a friendly seal for company.