House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

⁸legit question to U.K. silver buyers.

Are you paying the U.K. 20% VAT on it, or are you using alternative markets? If so then would you mind sharing?

If I ever needed move there then I'd like to stay in silver at this time.

Thanks in advance. 

HOLA442
2 hours ago, sulavaca said:

Are you paying the U.K. 20% VAT on it, or are you using alternative markets? If so then would you mind sharing?

Thanks in advance. 

Yes then I stopped cos silver is a btch to haul around. Kilo bars add up! But my fav is a kilo kukkaburra cos it's shiny and pretty.

I find it easier to speculate using ETFs, for physical just get gold.

HOLA443
HOLA444
9 hours ago, sulavaca said:

Thanks in advance. 

Well I think the way UK silver buyers would get around VAT is buy used silver bars/coins which does not have VAT on it 

But two problems:

- in market upswings this is genuinely hard to find.

-dealers sell used silver for more than the price of new silver (ex VAT), because they know people will still want it due to not having to pay VAT.  Overall the price of a used silver coin will be below that of a new silver coin plus VAT.  But it is not as good a deal as you hope.

I guess buying silver might make sense if you buy expecting short term price explosion (theoretically silver should explode higher), and then sell quickly.

But TBH, if you are buying a for the long term I would stick with gold.

Edited by reddog

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest Stud
22 hours ago, longgone said:

Apart from it's rigged like everthing else.

It doesn't matter ....that the price is manipulated ....when the collapse happens it's the only thing that will get you through .....TICK TOCK.!!

HOLA4411
Guest Stud
18 hours ago, nero120 said:

Who knows, I guess the only question you need to ask yourself is: "will gold (and/or silver) hold it's value better than fiat currency"?

Hold its value ???

Gold and silver is innately valuable and coveted and accepted as the ULITIMATE means of settlement ....when the collapse happens and all the paper is returned to its INTRINSIC value ....ZERO .....people will again understand the most important word in the English language TRUST .!!

HOLA4412
Guest Stud
On 16/04/2023 at 08:18, markyh said:

They will never let it appreciate. Golds going to $0.00.  They will ban private ownership globally. Better hope you paid cash for it and you the seller didn't know your address. They will find you. 

How is it in WADDHI VALLEY these days 🙄

HOLA4413
14 hours ago, stud said:

Hold its value ???

Gold and silver is innately valuable and coveted and accepted as the ULITIMATE means of settlement ....when the collapse happens and all the paper is returned to its INTRINSIC value ....ZERO .....people will again understand the most important word in the English language TRUST .!!

Yes obviously, read the bloody question. How do you gauge how "value" something will be after a financial reset? Hint, you can't. E.g. What will the gold price in sterling be? Who knows, but probably much much higher! What will the gold to oil ratio be? I have no idea, but my guess is that once the west's finger is off the scales the gold oil ratio will reset much higher, and western fiat will collapse against commodities.

HOLA4414
On 04/05/2023 at 06:45, sulavaca said:

When the UK was part of the EU, I used to buy silver online and only paid the German differential VAT value. This means that you only pay VAT on the markup the dealer makes on the coins/bars.

I haven't bought any from Germany since brexit so dunno if you can still take advantage. Perhaps if you happen to be on holiday there you may be able to take advantage and bring some back over?

HOLA4415
6 hours ago, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

When the UK was part of the EU, I used to buy silver online and only paid the German differential VAT value. This means that you only pay VAT on the markup the dealer makes on the coins/bars.

I haven't bought any from Germany since brexit so dunno if you can still take advantage. Perhaps if you happen to be on holiday there you may be able to take advantage and bring some back over?

Why bother. It's so bloody heavy to carry any amount worth anything for the marginal saving.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
14 hours ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

Why bother. It's so bloody heavy to carry any amount worth anything for the marginal saving.

Off balance sheet is the main reason for holding any physical metal isn't it? More of an issue when you aren't that rich and want to keep away from any working-age benefits cash saving limits of £6 / £16k. 

Also if you're holding it for the long term, say until retirement then it really doesn't matter if your stash is in your hands or held at a bank. With storage fees over 20 years, it may well be cheaper to hold it yourself. You could argue either way about how safe it is.

HOLA4420
49 minutes ago, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

Off balance sheet is the main reason for holding any physical metal isn't it? More of an issue when you aren't that rich and want to keep away from any working-age benefits cash saving limits of £6 / £16k. 

Also if you're holding it for the long term, say until retirement then it really doesn't matter if your stash is in your hands or held at a bank. With storage fees over 20 years, it may well be cheaper to hold it yourself. You could argue either way about how safe it is.

I meant to say why bother holding shit tons of silver and carting it round the place. Just buy gold. If u wanna speculate use an etf or CFD or whatever.

I found this out after buying several kgs and paying vat and realising I couldn't be arsed lugging it around and keeping secure etc.

If you're buying silver coins to use as currency for civilisation collapse then that's pretty niche.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
7 minutes ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

That's a better answer than buying tonnes and lugging it around. Hard to invest in silver given the weight required, add vat and it loses its shine. Vs gold.

It depends how much you hold of course... but those silver bars will have multiple claims... and it has always been said, that the physical and paper price will diverge. If you sell privately, you just pass on the VAT and if < 30KGs then possession is preferable IMHO.

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, warpig said:

It depends how much you hold of course... but those silver bars will have multiple claims... and it has always been said, that the physical and paper price will diverge. If you sell privately, you just pass on the VAT and if < 30KGs then possession is preferable IMHO.

Yah physical always better than paper but hard to sew 1kg into Ur curtains😁. I'm not convinced it's a good idea to become a private silver dealer either. I'd just buy gold tbh.

HOLA4425