House Price Crash Forum

1 Year In A Bus

acidrob

HOLA441

Wow - its been a year already - time has flown by! A year ago I convinced of a property crash, and not willing to sign up to a mortgage of epic proportions to buy a slave box, but fed up of renting - I bought myself a 6 metre Nissan Civilian motorhome.

I admit at the time I thought this is going to get old fast - I'd get claustrophobic living in such a small space - and would probably go back to renting after a couple of months of this adventure/experiment.

Well - I'm still living in it - and loving it! I'm not claustrophobic in it at all - because its not made of immovable brick walls - I am surrounded by windows - and I can change the view at a whim. The freedom of just driving over to somewhere new when i feel like it - not having to plan or even pack is just great. I'm spending 4 nights a week at campsites for power - which costs £20 per week - thats all my bills and housing costs done (and no rates or council tax)! This also means I'm living at such a low cost - I'm also not a slave to my job - I can live for many years with the money I have at this rate no problem.

I'm now watching the crash safe in the knowledge I'm crash proofed. However - I think now housing will have to fall a lot further than it would have had to before I got this way of life to tempt me back into the housing market. From where I am - housing looks 100X more overpriced to me than it was before.

How are others in campers getting on? Homeless??

pa050763qe7.jpg

pa050764minihr5.jpg

pa050765minitd3.jpg

pa050766oq8.jpg

pa050767mv6.jpg

Edited by acidrob

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Wow, congratulations on lasting so long.

Isn't it getting a tad cold at night though?

Do you have any sort of heating?

I have a cerimic electric heater for when Im plugged into 240 V at a campsite - and have a gas tent heater for when I'm away. I'm still on the first gas bottle for the gas heater after 1 year..

The walls and roof of the bus are carpetted - its pretty well insulated - and a space this size heats pretty much instantly with any kind of heater.

Short answer - I'm very cosy :D

HOLA445
HOLA446
Good on you acidrop. I would love to do the same.

Question;

What do you use for an address for official purposes, driving licence, insurance, vehicle registration?

I have a p/o box for my mail - but also use my parents address as my address for my bank - I do all my banking online anyway - but means I can fill in billing address for visa card for online purchase easily :D

Edited by acidrob

HOLA447
HOLA448
Leaving next month to spend a year or so travelling round Oz in a bushcamper.

Going to spend my time surfing and gold fossicking. After that Ill be

picking up my aussie passport.

Can't wait to join you :rolleyes:

I expect a similar post from you 1 year on :D

Edited by acidrob

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
That's bigger than most new build 1 bed flats!

Best keep it quiet about 'off-brick living' or the Gov will be around to censor you ;)

It is pretty much a studio apartment on wheels - except the money I save on not paying council tax/ rates = my total bills for the year - and of course - I have a much better view - and if I dont like the neighbours I can drive away :D

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Leaving next month to spend a year or so travelling round Oz in a bushcamper.

Going to spend my time surfing and gold fossicking. After that Ill be

picking up my aussie passport.

Can't wait to join you :rolleyes:

Good call! I went away to Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South America for two years.... I left in 2006 but wish I'd go in late 2008/early 2009! :lol:

Spent about 16K (all savings)...probably could have spent less than 10k if I'd been on a budget.

HOLA4417
Intrigued. What about showering and laundry?

I do my laundry at the campsites when I stay for the night to charge my batteries. I have a full normal shower on the bus - with hot water, and a flush toilet. When I'm at a campsite I use their shower/toilets of course - have to get my £5 worth :D

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I do my laundry at the campsites when I stay for the night to charge my batteries. I have a full normal shower on the bus - with hot water, and a flush toilet. When I'm at a campsite I use their shower/toilets of course - have to get my £5 worth :D

It's not as hard as it sounds really.

I'd consider doing it if I were to travel around a country for 4 months +

But how do you get an internet connection?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Where do you spend the other 3 nights? Is it just a case of putting up with being moved on, or is it easy /safe enough to find truck stops and lay-bys?

I actually could spend less nights at a campsite - my internal batteries have lasted over 3 nights in a row with heavy computer internet usage. The other nights you can spend anywhere you like - obviously people don't like you living outsode their house - go to the countryside - anywhere where your not in anyones way. If you really need to spend time in a town/city - supermarkety carpark is fine at night - your only there for the night then your away in the morning. But basically the places where your going to have problems - residential areas - are the last places you would want to stay - go find a the best view you can - and wake up to a million dollar view (except its free to you)

HOLA4423
It's not as hard as it sounds really.

I'd consider doing it if I were to travel around a country for 4 months +

But how do you get an internet connection?

Im using vodafone vodem mobile broadband attached to my desktop pc in the bed - on a wireless lan - so my whole bus is wireless for other things - like the playstaion 3 :D

HOLA4424
HOLA4425