House Price Crash Forum

Brits Scrap Summer Holidays As Credit Crunch Becomes A Concern

HOLA441
A quarter of British adults (24 per cent) are shelving their holiday plans this year, with 43 per cent of them worried about the impact of the credit crunch on their finances according to a study by CreditExpert.co.uk, the online credit monitoring service from Experian. Those who do choose to take a break will pay the price, with over two and a half million British adults getting into debt each time they go away - twice as many as this time last year.

People living in Wales and the South West of England are the most concerned about the credit crunch hitting their finances and are trying to cut back on spending. 65 per cent of people in these regions cite this as the main reason for not planning a holiday in the next twelve months. In Scotland, the main reason for not planning a holiday is affordability, with 68 per cent of Scots saying they are unable to stump up the cash for a break.

The research, which is based on a survey of 1,047 adults, also reveals that:

18-24s are most worried about letting people down with a third (33 per cent) saying they succumb to peer pressure to go on a holiday which then pushes them into debt

People in the North East of England (27 per cent) are the most likely to go into debt from holiday spending

16 per cent of British adults admit that holidays are so important to them that they only think about the money they have spent when they return home

http://www.easier.com/view/Finance/Househo...cle-191949.html

HOLA442

Another story on this mornings bbc breakfast. I said a few months ago that they Millets in Kingston has a massive outdoor demo to show the new poor how to holiday. All it means to me is that my favourite places will be ruined by Yah's.

PS I have discovered the secret to not getting mad at Declan Curry. Instead of listening to the fat halfwit, I do 15 minutes of Yoga in peace instead. I am so much more relaxed.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Well worth a bump,

Just come back from Sant Ant Ibiza, the place is dead, loads of bars complaining of no tourists.

In the resorts the cranes just sit, doing nothing.

Whats going on!!

This is what is stopping me from booking a sun, sand and sex holiday - never been on one of them - out of fear that when I get there it will only be me and an over-weight Bavarian named Heinrich in leather speedos there! :blink:

HOLA445
HOLA446
This is what is stopping me from booking a sun, sand and sex holiday - never been on one of them - out of fear that when I get there it will only be me and an over-weight Bavarian named Heinrich in leather speedos there! :blink:

Just avoid Gran Canaria then. There is a nudist beach there called Maspalomas. No need to ever pay for those freak horror shows at the fairgorund again! :o

HOLA447
HOLA448
Just avoid Gran Canaria then. There is a nudist beach there called Maspalomas. No need to ever pay for those freak horror shows at the fairgorund again! :o

I prefer the bikinis and such-like Summer clothing that leaves something to the imagination. Just enough flesh to see all the curves in the right places.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
TBH I think flights with young children are very over rated, root canal would be more relaxing, long live the British camping holiday.

Long live Eurocamp et al. No rip-off Britain (yes, I know the Euro is going to make it seem like we never left this year), better weather, no Chavs, two weeks in two-bed accomodation for the price of one week in a studio flat during the school hols, no car hire needed....

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Long live Eurocamp et al. No rip-off Britain (yes, I know the Euro is going to make it seem like we never left this year), better weather, no Chavs, two weeks in two-bed accomodation for the price of one week in a studio flat during the school hols, no car hire needed....

Eurocamp et al all look good value, until you try and book direct with the campsites, then you see they are about 30% or more above DIY.

But you do get a small bottle of beer, and recently for us, indifferent reps to look after you, ie they ask reception to sort you out, which you could have done yourself.

HOLA4416

So long as you avoid the big Brittany sites and some of the larger Med sites. Can't remember the exact names as I was about 14 the last time I went on a holiday like that, but some years you did bump into a lot of chavs and loud mouthed northerners.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Our internet Caribbean tourism bookings business is deader than Gordon's chances of winning the 2010 General Election. Getting the occasional Canadian or budget backpacker bookings, but this July/August the British families coming for a school hols break business, has pretty much evaporated. Yanks are well down too, and inbound airlift has collapsed with further to fall seeming imminent. Forward bookings for Xmas 08 (in past years up until 2006 Xmas flights and Villas/best hotels were all full or nearly fully booked by around May-July)are dire, so this year's 4 month long winter "high" season, upon which income most of the island economies depend entirely, will be more like pas low seasons.

Doomed.....those of you who may have fancied an affordable trip to the warmth and beaches of this region one day had best be advised to do it soon before the only way to get here cheaply will be by working your passage as a Cabin Boy on a Nigerian Tramp Steamer.

HOLA4420
Doomed.....those of you who may have fancied an affordable trip to the warmth and beaches of this region one day had best be advised to do it soon before the only way to get here cheaply will be by working your passage as a Cabin Boy on a Nigerian Tramp Steamer.

If things are as bad as you say, then they can't be 'affordable', else people would be 'affording' it. If fuel prices keep going the way they are (and I can't see why they wouldn't unless someone magics a new fuel source), then I suspect the era of exotic holidays for the masses is soon to be over.

Edited by impatient_mug

HOLA4421
Our internet Caribbean tourism bookings business is deader than Gordon's chances of winning the 2010 General Election. Getting the occasional Canadian or budget backpacker bookings, but this July/August the British families coming for a school hols break business, has pretty much evaporated. Yanks are well down too, and inbound airlift has collapsed with further to fall seeming imminent. Forward bookings for Xmas 08 (in past years up until 2006 Xmas flights and Villas/best hotels were all full or nearly fully booked by around May-July)are dire, so this year's 4 month long winter "high" season, upon which income most of the island economies depend entirely, will be more like pas low seasons.

But of more importance are now you missing those "once in a lifetime holiday chavs" on which your business model was accidentally built on rotten stilts? ;)

HOLA4422
But of more importance are now you missing those "once in a lifetime holiday chavs" on which your business model was accidentally built on rotten stilts? ;)

Yes we are. I admit that when I used to watch them coming through the arrivals exit, lighting up a fag before they even took a breath and despite the fact that their obese halt had blocked all people trying to exit behind them while they lit up, cursing and fighting their way through their 8 hoop earrings and tattooed skin flaps to find the Marlboroughs, I never realised that I would miss them when they had gone (or at least their £).

But our business is built on very firm stilts, we have no employees (any more), no leverage to the bank and a website with state of the art bookings software which makes me money even while asleep - albeit dramatically less money. While we will survive the 6-10 year downturn, our overhead-heavy "Sunday Times Travel Supplement type" competitors will all go tits up (as well as, no doubt, the Sunday Times Travel Mag and many like it themselves), leaving us in a strong position if this region ever sees an upturn again. But thanks for your concern - I thought you were going to get your Lurking backside out here soon?

HOLA4423
Eurocamp et al all look good value, until you try and book direct with the campsites, then you see they are about 30% or more above DIY.

But you do get a small bottle of beer, and recently for us, indifferent reps to look after you, ie they ask reception to sort you out, which you could have done yourself.

We're going on one of the longer ferry routes. Agreed that if you are doing Dover-Calais you can do it a lot cheaper, but with the Brittany Ferry routes there is a good saving on the ferry price.

The English Speaking, CRB checked Kids Club makes up for some of the difference too. If you factor in how much that would cost you at home for two children, that blows a huge hole in the difference.

Then it's the other little things like knowing the condition of the accomodation, what equipment you get with it, and not having to translate documentation. Also covered by ABTA.

TBH we are still scarred from our first DIY French holiday. Several hours trying to translate an inventory list (the spelling mistakes really didn't help!!) which we had to sign and hand over a deposit for. Campsite description was very misleading... I could go on for ever.

We might be brave enough to try again sometime in the future, but for now the extra '30%' means we will not be ringing the ferry company to ask how much it will be to return home early. :(

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
So long as you avoid the big Brittany sites and some of the larger Med sites. Can't remember the exact names as I was about 14 the last time I went on a holiday like that, but some years you did bump into a lot of chavs and loud mouthed northerners.

Perhaps thats why we like it so much, as we avoid the big sites. We do see a handful on the ferry, but we lose them by the time we get to the site.

Going to the sites where you have a hefty drive even after a longer crossing seems to keep them at bay too. Why drive to the south coast, spend 6+ hours on a ferry and another 3 to 4 hours in the car when you can be shouting your mouth off in the bar at your resort, in the time it takes you to get to Plymouth?

PS We love Whitby too. Planning on having a run up their one weekend during the summer.

Edit: to add PS

Edited by mitchbux