House Price Crash Forum

Indicators Of Economic Downturn

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA441
lots more skanky women looking to get laid,walking around the town at pub closing time (if i dont stop im going to get vd)

i have a scrap yard, and lots of clearly skint people coming in now to sell their goods, which is handy because the amount i collect from the builders has in all cases slowed right down.Everyone raking their shed to see what they can sell me.

hardly anything left in the discount shelf in the co-op, people have been going their before looking elsewhere in the store.

a huge explosion in people that are cutting peat this year, big articles in the local papers about it, everyone dont want to pay for the coal no-more and you see 70 year olds out in the rain digging the peat.

police file reports in the local paper warning of massive increases in heating oil theft, and for locals to watch out for this.

drug taking on the increase, the reason they seem to give is its cheaper to have a couple spliffs on a saturday night than go out for a beer.

builders all lying to me that they are busy when i know full well they are not.

local builders morning bacon butty van, totally empty.

Do you take them back to your fancy white van man passion wagon that you call a home? Class. How you can call anyone "skanky" is beyond me.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest mattsta1964
I've noticed that but thought it was just coincidence, but over lots of occassions on different roads my conclusion is always "hmm, that was quieter than normal", it leads you to ask, who the hell were all these people before and what were they doing? And where are they now!?

Hopefully a lot less kids are being ferried into school, I really can not believe 95% of these bloody kids are incapable of taking a bus or walking

I stopped driving last september, anticipating that things were going to deteriorate and that I might save some money

I seem to be just as skint as ever, so I wonder what my fianances would be like if I was still running a car

HOLA443
Increasing volumes and reducing prices of second hand wedding dresses on ebay.

I may soon be able to dress in drag all week, instead of just at weekends.

Are there any medical ailments that increase during times of economic stress Doc? Or will this be your first time?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Are there any medical ailments that increase during times of economic stress Doc?

Starbucks Withdrawal Syndrome

Wetherspoons Repetitive Strain Injury - caused by repeatedly craning the neck to see who is in the pub you can't afford to go in.

HMV/Aids - sweating caused by inability to afford new music or dvd's

Waitrose Melonoma - caused by shock at price of melons in Waitrose

Foxton's Diarrhoea - self explanatory

Shell Tourette's Syndrome - inability to stop swearing in petrol stations.

Cancer of the Payincrease - triggered when firm offers you 1.5%

Painful Period - when redundancy rumours start in the office.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The ones everyone agrees on, that I noticed before reading this.

For sale signs in car windows, absolutely everywhere, mostly "second car" type vehicles.

Discounted food sections are empty.

More cyclists

My own

People checking receipts or asking for one with small cash payments. Probably unsure where their money is disappearing.

HOLA4411

Increase in creative car repairs with large amounts of shiny silver duck tape/gaffer tape - wing mirrors being taped back on, dents in the bumper being taped over etc. - one of the few very obvious increases in the "make do and mend" mentality.

I rather think that 3M are a company that could do well out of the downturn - they are manufacturers of a whole plethora of materials designed for quick cheap fixes.

Edit: Less stuff on cheap in the supermarket - I think this is due to better stock control rather than others beating me to the goodies!

Edited by waitingandsaving

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Are there any medical ailments that increase during times of economic stress Doc? Or will this be your first time?

I don't think I really noticed last time, I was too busy with 110 hour weeks and trying to keep myself alive and awake as junior, with an occasional passing thought for the punters.

Alcoholism and depression.

A lot of young not so well educated blokes with an entirely reasonable sense of despair over the future.

The girls just get pregnant and get housed.

HOLA4415
I bet Shoplifting/Theft is on the rise. :ph34r:

Nope,the polce have been ordered to view it as a minor misdemeanour,now punishable by a session of counselling,alongside other offences like murder and armed robbery.Such offences are no longer recorded,and therefore didn't happen......ok?

They are thinking about reintoducing the death penalty for parking offences though.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

More bangers on the road (now I don't stand out as much :P )

Shops using second hand carrier bags rather than new ones.

People telling me that they 'feel poorer'.

More junk mail from local eat in food outlets (pizza, curry etc,.)

Less people likely to pick up the bar tab when it is their turn.

More taxis available (good - fed up of the 'sorry that's in the wrong direction mate' attitude........I'm a paying customer, not thumbing a lift!)

More people staying in/entertaining at home, so quieter bars.

More people at the bargain shelf in Asda.

Now just waiting for good looking Western girls to set up their own adult internet sites, and we can add that one to the above list.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest tbatst2000
Nope,the polce have been ordered to view it as a minor misdemeanour,now punishable by a session of counselling,alongside other offences like murder and armed robbery.Such offences are no longer recorded,and therefore didn't happen......ok?

They are thinking about reintoducing the death penalty for parking offences though.

If that didn't ring so true, I'd laugh.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Lots of indicators around Glasgow/Edinburgh way. Most notable for me is a certain Glasgow Indian Restaurant, very high quality, where a year ago you had to book even for lunch.

Now at luchtimes, it's literally empty. Also, in a real master-stroke, they have dropped the fixed lunchtime menu and have only the full one to choose from, hence a lunch for two would see you dropping £50. Err, no.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
  1. Brewing my own beer
  2. Drinking orange squash instead of branded carbonated drinks
  3. Cycling to town and back instead of driving
  4. Buying own brand products
  5. Using the missus' car which has double the mpg of my guzzler.
  6. Buying lower alcohol beer in cans (less tax? cheaper anyway)
  7. Definitely less cars on the road.
  8. Range Rover drivers looking uncomfortable (good the farking carnts speed a lot round us and take massive risks because they think they're protected)
  9. Not buying new computer games or hardware
  10. Trying not to use mobile phone as much
  11. Gonna cancel Sky soon or reduce to a minimal package.
  12. Making my own sarnies for work
  13. Only buying the food I know we will eat before it spoils
  14. Growing our own veg (or starting to learn to)

And we're not being crunched yet! This is all in preparation except the Range Rover one where I couldn't resist sharing their misfortune with the £60k odd Tarquin Taxi's that are now tanking in price everyday.

I was healthier and in many ways happier as a student with no cash.

TFH

Edited for clarity

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

We are having less customers at work (DIY Shop). This morning was a record low for us.

My own business is struggling. It was very profitable last year and the money I made through that was double what i earnt in my full time job (the shop above).

People are getting more impatient and people are cancelling orders becasue they've found the same item on eBay at 20p above my cost (I have have negotiated some cracking discounts).

My motivation is drained, my business is holding on and begging for help and I just can't seem to find the energy.

Still house prices are coming down and I have a fantastic deposit. I just hope I have an income when the time comes :(