House Price Crash Forum

Sub Text To The Tanker Driver's Strike?

HOLA441

is the meeja guilty of missing the other aspect of this dispute? Skilled 'blue collar workers' (as the US refers to them) can no longer survive, yet alone thrive, on a basic household income of 32k before tax. If that's the case then the median wage of 23k Nationally falls woefully short of survival/adequacy. Inflation is running amok throughout the UK, wages cannot keep up and large corporations will be under intense political pressure not to cave in. How long can the 'dam' stay in place?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Have you seen the price of Sausage Egg and Chips these days in a greasy spoon roadside Cafe ?

Small wonder train drivers start on 45k per annum, a cheese sandwich expertly wrapped in clingfilm on a train costs over £3.00, wash it down with a cup of Tea with a hint of dissinfectent, and you are talking £5.00

Edited by laurejon

HOLA443
is the meeja guilty of missing the other aspect of this dispute? Skilled 'blue collar workers' (as the US refers to them) can no longer survive, yet alone thrive, on a basic household income of 32k before tax. If that's the case then the median wage of 23k Nationally falls woefully short of survival/adequacy. Inflation is running amok throughout the UK, wages cannot keep up and large corporations will be under intense political pressure not to cave in. How long can the 'dam' stay in place?

42 days.

HOLA444
Have you seen the price of Sausage Egg and Chips these days in a greasy spoon roadside Cafe ?

Small wonder train drivers start on 45k per annum, a cheese sandwich expertly wrapped in clingfilm on a train costs over £3.00, wash it down with a cup of Tea with a hint of dissinfectent, and you are talking £5.00

edited for punchline laurejon?.....Erm, where is it? ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
is the meeja guilty of missing the other aspect of this dispute? Skilled 'blue collar workers' (as the US refers to them) can no longer survive, yet alone thrive, on a basic household income of 32k before tax.

The broad money supply* has more than tripled since 1997.

32k now is fvck all compared to 32k back then.

*which is soon to become narrow money due to bailouts.

HOLA449
There was a debate on FiveLive last night about the strike.

Five Live Debate

Sean from Dundee was a good caller, fast forward to 22mins and 40 seconds. :lol::lol::lol:

just listened, I just wish folk would discuss this 32k salary 'issue' in more depth. As the caller said he's a taxi driver, as such entirely dependent on the health of the economy and has no recourse to strike/withhold his labour. His call to action will fall on deaf ears unless mass unemployment takes place, combined with benefits being culled. The former is a nap the second will never happen as it would be akin to a real life Sean of the dead as the living dead return with their refused 'on the sick' letters in hand <_< The govt know this.

HOLA4410
The broad money supply* has more than tripled since 1997.

32k now is fvck all compared to 32k back then.

*which is soon to become narrow money due to bailouts.

If 32k is not subsistence level for a married bloke with a couple of kids trying to pay down a mortgage/pay his bills and 23k is median wage with inflation running at 9% (according to the daily hate :huh:) then we are in for interesting times. <_<

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
What about the millions of workers in 14k a year jobs? They may as well fill their pockets with stones and walk into a river.

Perhaps some credence is due to the Free Swimming initiative announced recently?

HOLA4413

Did I hear right that the drivers said one of their colleagues drowned in his cab last year when Fire Fighters were unable to use equipment to cut him free due to the danger of causing a spark and blowing up the tanker? They said that the rescue services had to watch the man die.

Sounds absolutely dreadful.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I kept hearing/reading how their wages have not increased in real terms since 1992.

This *sounds* like a terrible thing - but it actually means that they have kept pace with inflation. Let's ignore question of how inflation is measured. My point is that their salaries have probably stayed in line with most everyones.They are not being offered a below inflation increase.

It's really a meaningless headline statement.

If you listen to their actual argument, it sounds like they want a greater share of shell's increasing profit. i.e. I'm not sure the pressure for increased pay is inflationary so much as the drivers see Shell reaping huge profits and want a piece of the action.

btw. In another thread someone pointed out that the £35K+figure was for 60hrs; basic is nearer mid 20K.

HOLA4417
What about the millions of workers in 14k a year jobs? They may as well fill their pockets with stones and walk into a river.

erm I know PLENTY of people on 14K, they never have any money at all , many of them are considering going overseas , its not that they can get hugely cushy jobs overseas its just that the lower cost of living means they have improved quality of life, it was only a year ago when I was on 11K a year, life was utterly horrible.

edit had a quick thought and it was more like 15 months ago

Edited by kennichi

HOLA4418

You told us that you are paid £11,000.00 annually and that you work 37 hours per week

annual monthly weekly hourly

Gross pay £11,000.00 £916.67 £211.54 £5.72

Income tax £1,002.90 £83.58 £19.29 £0.52

National Insurance £638.00 £53.17 £12.27 £0.33

Net pay £9,359.10 £779.93 £179.98 £4.86

£179.98 take home a week :huh:

Edited by HenryWeston

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
If you listen to their actual argument, it sounds like they want a greater share of shell's increasing profit. i.e. I'm not sure the pressure for increased pay is inflationary so much as the drivers see Shell reaping huge profits and want a piece of the action.

What I can't understand is that they don't even work for Shell. They work for another company that has the Shell contract. As with any service contract like this, I'm sure Shell has the right to terminate if the contract isn't being adhered to, and then get another company on the job. Surely their argument is with their employers, for not asking for higher rate or passing enough on to the drivers. Shell are paying the company what is, I assume, the agreed rate.

HOLA4421
Problem is households have been getting poorer since 2002, reversing a long term trend.

Sure - my point was addressing the "no increase since 1992" - which actual should read "earning exactly that same since 1992". i.e. it's a meaningless statement. If the argument is that cost of living is increasing - then 'they' should make that argument.

If they have, then I've not heard it.

What I can't understand is that they don't even work for Shell. They work for another company that has the Shell contract. As with any service contract like this, I'm sure Shell has the right to terminate if the contract isn't being adhered to, and then get another company on the job. Surely their argument is with their employers, for not asking for higher rate or passing enough on to the drivers. Shell are paying the company what is, I assume, the agreed rate.

What I don't know is how this came into being. Did Shell outsource this part of their operation? Is this a shell (pun) company? Do the drivers operate other contracts for other producers? Perhaps, for all intent and purposes they might as well be working for Shell.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
32k sounds about 12k too much for someone that just drives a lorry.

Sorry.

It's a joke, and these people have absolutely no grounds to be striking and causing this inconvenience

The head of the union was on the news comparing his drivers to nurses and firefighters for christs sake

Sack them all