House Price Crash Forum

Drivers Are Warned Of Further Petrol Price Rises In The Pipeline

HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
An anecdotal: second-hand info that post office sorting centres are stockpiling fuel because the government is expecting civil unrest over the recent sharp rises in fuel prices.

The government shouldnt worry to much, no one will be able to afford petrol bombs

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3803775.ece

Petrol prices are expected to reach more than £1.12 per litre next month as service stations feel the effects of the latest surge in global crude prices.

Amid fears of widespread fuel shortages before a planned strike at Grangemouth, Scotland’s largest oil refinery, the AA said that the cost of filling a 50-litre petrol tank stood yesterday at £54.44, up £7.82 on a year ago.

There is a six-week time lag between global crude prices, which touched historic highs of nearly $120 per barrel this week, and pump prices.

The average price for a litre of petrol was 108.89p yesterday but Andrew Horstead, of the energy con-sultancy Utilyx, predicts that prices will rise by about 3 per cent to an average £1.12 per litre during May.

SIX WEEK TIME LAG!!!!! that's a laugh these pigs here take about two weeks to jack up the price.

Every time crude goes up it takes about a 2 weeks to go up and when it goes down they take a month or more to come down at the pump.

My SUV cost me <$25 int 03 when I got here and the other day it cost me $70.

HOLA446
SIX WEEK TIME LAG!!!!! that's a laugh these pigs here take about two weeks to jack up the price.

Every time crude goes up it takes about a 2 weeks to go up and when it goes down they take a month or more to come down at the pump.

My SUV cost me <$25 int 03 when I got here and the other day it cost me $70.

Its absoluetly true, petrol companies hike the cost of petrol up as soon as they can on existing fuel stock to make more profit.

Works exactly the same for wholesalers when selling cigarettes and alcohol (unless its price marked of course).

HOLA447
These ever increasing petrol prices are really starting to worry me actually, at the moment its manageable. But what happens in 2-3 years time when if they continue at their current rate they will be around 2-2.50 a litre :(

This is the sort of situation we had in 1973 when petrol prices doubled in a short space of time. I can remember plenty of people saying how they would be cutting down on travel. Of course then we had rampant inflation and after the initial shock people got used to it. This time it is different... shares in bicycle manufacturers may rise though :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

actually i heard that they rolled two dice and put a dot between the lower figure and the larger one...

I personally think its a good way to keep the public up to date on the rising costs.

HOLA4412

Well, it's the final straw for me. My V8 BMW 7 series and my 125cc motorbike are both on Autotrader priced in the middle of the range so will hopefully sell.

I don't use either vehicle now I've moved within a short walking distance to a tube station and I fear things are going to get much worse. It matters not if the car is a big contributor to pullution, or if peak oil exists because this is an enormous psy-op by the governments.

All societies have always needed something to hate and dislike, exemplified brilliantly in Orwell's 1984. It is a function of humanity to need to dislike something I reckon, and the one for our current times is anything which is viewed as destroying the planet's ecosystems and climate. As our government is a reactive body (as opposed to proactive) they fine, tax and punish people for legitimate behaviour instead of educating and empowering alternatives. Why? There's no money back for educating, but there's lots from punishing.

I won't be totally stuck when they've sold as I have use of Mrs. TFH's little Corsa (45mpg on a long run - not bad for an 8 yr old car). This car is used twice a week. Once to go to shopping and once to see my mates back in gangland SE London.

Also given that there's so many foreigners in SE London they tend to drive in the right hand lane of any 2 lane road at about 3/4 of the posted speed limits, there's little point in having such an animal of a car as they choke the roads down even further.

TFH

HOLA4413

I could see this happening as sson as it went through the £1 barrier. They were forced to back down on that point a few times, but as soon as it went over, I was betting the price would go up steeply to make up for lost time.

Thankfully I only run a small car, and my office is 10 minutes walk away, so I'm not affected much. Frankly I think the government are getting it wrong by just continually encouraging public transport (without, it seems, putting any real money in). They should focus on working from home. Nearly everyone in my office could work from home with a reasonably fast internet connection. That'd cut fuel bills, congestion and free up a load of office space in city centres in one simple move, but unfortunately governments and corporate directors tend to be quite luddite in their thinking.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I could see this happening as sson as it went through the £1 barrier. They were forced to back down on that point a few times, but as soon as it went over, I was betting the price would go up steeply to make up for lost time.

Thankfully I only run a small car, and my office is 10 minutes walk away, so I'm not affected much. Frankly I think the government are getting it wrong by just continually encouraging public transport (without, it seems, putting any real money in). They should focus on working from home. Nearly everyone in my office could work from home with a reasonably fast internet connection. That'd cut fuel bills, congestion and free up a load of office space in city centres in one simple move, but unfortunately governments and corporate directors tend to be quite luddite in their thinking.

This might annoy a lot of people but I'm not really sure why rising fuel costs are so bad. Won't seriously expensive petrol, say £2/litre, force a lot of the changes some people have been campaigning for for many years - telecommuting, bigger and better mass transit, planning personal journeys rather buzzing around on a whim, calmer (safer) driving even?

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick but one things for sure, joe public will only respond to cost and incentive. No amount of reasoning will stop him using his Turbo Nutter B@stard STI to fetch a pint of milk from the cornershop I'm sorry to say.

One more thing - I'm an IT Contractor (well for a little while longer) and before you lot in similar jobs harp on about your necessary 110 mile daily round trips I have, and would still, stay over - I don't buy the "I need to sleep in my own bed" ****** - thats just an excuse and you know it (those with relevent medical conditions excepted of course).

And, one more, one more thing. This has a lot to do with house prices as those addicted to disorganised car use will have less spending power. Also the value of houses in distant suburbs and the country ought to go down with ultra expensive fuel (and city properties go up). Hmmm - stealing a quality 3 bed apartment next winter from a distressed seller in a town with plenty of employment is looking interesting maybe?

HOLA4419
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3803775.ece

Petrol prices are expected to reach more than £1.12 per litre next month as service stations feel the effects of the latest surge in global crude prices.

Amid fears of widespread fuel shortages before a planned strike at Grangemouth, Scotland’s largest oil refinery, the AA said that the cost of filling a 50-litre petrol tank stood yesterday at £54.44, up £7.82 on a year ago.

There is a six-week time lag between global crude prices, which touched historic highs of nearly $120 per barrel this week, and pump prices.

The average price for a litre of petrol was 108.89p yesterday but Andrew Horstead, of the energy con-sultancy Utilyx, predicts that prices will rise by about 3 per cent to an average £1.12 per litre during May.

£0.03p a litre inrcease at my local station in 2 weeks. Knock on must cover food (which was up anyway) etc . Stormy times ahead .... must dig out that thread from last week where a guy got a bad deal from some of the guys here from stocking up on stuff <_<

HOLA4420
This is the sort of situation we had in 1973 when petrol prices doubled in a short space of time. I can remember plenty of people saying how they would be cutting down on travel. Of course then we had rampant inflation and after the initial shock people got used to it. This time it is different... shares in bicycle manufacturers may rise though :lol:

Shame that there aren't any left in this country. Even Raleigh don't build bikes in Nottingham any more.

HOLA4421
The projected 33 Billion barrels is equivalent to about 13 months world supply at todays consumption rate.

Not only that, but it's still conjecture. They haven't got a drill into it yet. If they're lucky and find what they're looking for, they will be trying to produce oil from the deepest water so far. 33 billion is the estimate of the "oil in place", actual reserves will depend on how much is feasible to extract, at the moment, very little of that 33 billion can be called reserves, as the technology to extract it hasn't been invented yet.

The new well has not yet reached the target reservoir and this claim of 33 Gbs is total hype by a government official talking out of turn. Which just by chance has sent the shares in BG Group, Repsol and Petrobras skywards today dragging the whole of the world oil equities market with them.

HOLA4422
This might annoy a lot of people but I'm not really sure why rising fuel costs are so bad. Won't seriously expensive petrol, say £2/litre, force a lot of the changes some people have been campaigning for for many years - telecommuting, bigger and better mass transit, planning personal journeys rather buzzing around on a whim, calmer (safer) driving even?

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick but one things for sure, joe public will only respond to cost and incentive. No amount of reasoning will stop him using his Turbo Nutter B@stard STI to fetch a pint of milk from the cornershop I'm sorry to say.

One more thing - I'm an IT Contractor (well for a little while longer) and before you lot in similar jobs harp on about your necessary 110 mile daily round trips I have, and would still, stay over - I don't buy the "I need to sleep in my own bed" ****** - thats just an excuse and you know it (those with relevent medical conditions excepted of course).

And, one more, one more thing. This has a lot to do with house prices as those addicted to disorganised car use will have less spending power. Also the value of houses in distant suburbs and the country ought to go down with ultra expensive fuel (and city properties go up). Hmmm - stealing a quality 3 bed apartment next winter from a distressed seller in a town with plenty of employment is looking interesting maybe?

Yes and no.

As a contractor you move around the country..... and other countries if you're good.

If you realy know your stuff you could do a lot from a beach house 4 days a week and just pop into the office one day a week. On a Ltd basis you get paid for travel and/or accom if you were not hit by ir35. .

Fuel price is not a problem to my mind if you are Ltd Co ex ir35

HOLA4423

Maybe. I would have said in the past this would be the case, but people at present seem to be prepared to just keep borrowing rather than to change their lifestyle. I don't see an increasing number of people walking home from the supermarkets, or cycling to work. The media is just pumping out the usual 'consume, consume' message and the government has no plans to prepare for the future with more expensive energy / food. If only they could get their snouts out of the trough for a moment they might plan more nuclear and renewable energy, plan for increased food production, transportation in a post-oil economy... if only.

HOLA4424

It's not just the increase in the price of oil, it's the extra VAT too. I'm paying an extra 1.7p/litre tax compared with 6 months ago, 85p a tank. A tank a week is £45 extra tax a year; multiply that by the number of cars on the road and that's a nice little windfall.

HOLA4425

All the pieces of the jigsaw are starting to fit together.

.Tony and dubya's erosion of habeus corpus

food rationing

the police have just parked several mobile stations outside my local petrol stations.

The ID card thing

I can't remember this happening during the iran/iraq war of the 80's,gulf war 1 OR gulf war 2.

The financial situation

Whatever is about to happen IS SERIOUS.

Have we got any chaps/chapesses of now pensionable age on this site who can inform us of the military/political build up in the prelude to WW2????.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated and advice on how you got through it.