House Price Crash Forum

Gold Alert

HOLA441

I sold 25% of mine at $1000 and i have stopped buying. However, if Financial Planner is right, ill be restocking below $800.

Gold is so volatile its any-body's guess.

the moon is 238857 miles from earth, so right now its 0.003899 dollars per mile. OK ill go to bed now.

Edited by charliemouse

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
THe TA says another dip this week to $907. After that difficult to predict.

Made a bit of money today on the dead cat bounce but the daily chart says further leg or two don over first couple of days next week.

if it was this easy everyone would have shares in these 'golden' charts.

i just bought another 6 1oz krugerrs. like it or lump it,

theres no safer place for your cash that i can think of right now.

plus you get the biiter sweet feeling of taking it out of banking circulation so the f2ck wits cant use it for more debt to idiots that cant pay it back.

they prices me out of town. im glad to see it go up and down, even to 775 as long as i have it, and not them.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Mods

Can we move this thread to the metals section please? It clearly doesn't belong on the main forum. You know, a bit of continuity to save credibility....

Indeed it lowers the tone to talk of such base matters as

....money.

Don't want the hoi polloi to get an inkling, now, do we?

HOLA448
the thread should stay, or this site is in danger of becoming....gasp....a house price BORE !!!
Indeed it lowers the tone to talk of such base matters as

....money.

Don't want the hoi polloi to get an inkling, now, do we?

Irony is not a strong point on this forum, is it?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
we're heading towards $850 and perhaps lower.

i'm a long standing precious metal bull and stick to that long term view. we will see new all time highs.

but before that get ready for $850 or lower. there's a lot of bullish mania here surrounding gold and you need to know the risks currently point to a LARGE DROP bigger than most here would care to entertain.

Sounds perfectly reasonable. I expected $800-850 by way of a correction. Not sure why you phrase it as if there is some kind of panic or something.

Gold is simple. Just buy physical and hold it. Don't trade. Anyone who risks being 'wiped out' by such a move has clearly been engaging in some insane trading that, in this current market, nobody would ever advise.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4411

I invest in Gold for insurance, but no more than 15%, Gold is 100% secure even if it's price in Fiat fluctuates. Fiat currency can slip down the pan at any time, and today the risks are higher than they have ever been.

Investing in gold for profit will probably make you poor, I see it as an insurance policy only. I realised the power of gold when my great grandfather left me a handful of pre 1900 sovereigns, today they still have high value, in 100 years they will still have value.

HOLA4412

I was thinking about it yesterday, the increase in M3, that seems to plague gold bugs, and it occurred to me. It's the borrowing that finance the commodity bubble.

That's M3, so it's basically raising because commodity prices are rising, and commodity prices are raising because M3 is rising, an unsustainable bubble.

The reason it have to be this way, is that it's the only thing to make money on in todays market.

Edited by carseller

HOLA4413
Sounds perfectly reasonable. I expected $800-850 by way of a correction. Not sure why you phrase it as if there is some kind of panic or something.

Gold is simple. Just buy physical and hold it. Don't trade. Anyone who risks being 'wiped out' by such a move has clearly been engaging in some insane trading that, in this current market, nobody would ever advise.

First, many do in fact get carried away by hysteria. Many will have decided to bite the bullet and set new longs at $1000.

If you view gold as an option in your ASSET ALLOCATION strategy you're going to be ok. If you're TRADING gold, like I do, a $200 move can SHUT YOU DOWN.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Indeed.

The only caveat I would add is that the Euro/USD looks set to re-test 1.59, which if successful could see it have a go at 1.60/1.62 before turning down. That would tend to suggest the gold sell off may be a week or two coming through. Unless the hedgies need cash very urgently in which case it will come much sooner. My target top 3/4 weeks ago was 1020 with 850 likely support, and 775/730 possible. I see nothing to change that.

i being a simpleton do not yet understand the the reasons for the correlation between Euro strength and the pog etc -would one of you enlightened souls please explain or provide a link where I and others might ? thanks

HOLA4417
1) Deleveraging will continue full steam ahead. That means some of the largest spec positions in gold being liquidated.

2) Lots of market participants have used this latest drop to reload including spec players and gold mining companies - not good.

3) Gold has recently shown a distinct inability to mount a rally without the support of equities, crude oil, or a falling dollar.

4) ALL asset valuations depend on two things - economic growth expectations and interest rates to discount that growth. both are heading the wrong way. the first lower, and the second higher.

5) gold is a tiny market. traffic is one way and liquidity often disappears completely. think what your downside is and take off $50.

6) the supply story in commodities is going to give way to a weakening demand story - decoupling of India and China is a myth.

that's plenty for now.

Thank you for a refreshing view of the other side of the fence.

HOLA4418

1) Deleveraging will continue full steam ahead. That means some of the largest spec positions in gold being liquidated.

2) Lots of market participants have used this latest drop to reload including spec players and gold mining companies - not good.

A: There is a huge , concentrated short position in gold which will have to be unwound at some point. This is massively bullish for gold long term. Mining companies and bullion houses which are short are using price weakness to buy back short positions. This again is bullish.

3) Gold has recently shown a distinct inability to mount a rally without the support of equities, crude oil, or a falling dollar.

A: The Gold price is gererally assumed to be manipulated on a short term basis.

4) ALL asset valuations depend on two things - economic growth expectations and interest rates to discount that growth. both are heading the wrong way. the first lower, and the second higher.

A: Inflation adjusted most gold market commentators expect the gold price to reset at anywhere between $2500 and $7000.

5) gold is a tiny market. traffic is one way and liquidity often disappears completely. think what your downside is and take off $50.

A: Err.....not true.

6) the supply story in commodities is going to give way to a weakening demand story - decoupling of India and China is a myth.

A: Gold is less of a commodity (like say copper) and more of a monetary metal.

Gold holds no counterparty risk, and is below its long term trend price. Definately something to consider in these troubled times.

HOLA4419
i being a simpleton do not yet understand the the reasons for the correlation between Euro strength and the pog etc -would one of you enlightened souls please explain or provide a link where I and others might ? thanks

Good question. In very general terms gold and to some extent oil and other hard and soft commodities are used to hedge against falls in the value of the dollar. So when the US dollar, in particular, is falling it tends to drive money out of dollar assets into these other assets and vice-versa. Since the value of the dollar is measured relative to other currencies, a fall in the dollar is essentially a relative rise in the other major currencies (including glod). The main dollar index is a weighted index against the Euro, Yen, Swiss franc, Canadian dollar, sterling etc....The biggest component is the Euro at around 56%. So the main (but not only) driver is the Euro/Dollar exchange rate. It is also far easier watching one currency pair than half a dozen.

The Euro/Dollar exchange rate is thus a very general proxy for movements in the gold price, in direction and trend if not in scale. For instance, the rapid rise in gold earlier this month coincided with a move in the the Euro/USD rate from 1.50 to 1.59. The fall was accompanied by a big correction back to 1.5350, and then last week saw the Euro strengthen again along with gold. The Euro is now back just shy of this recent high. It will either turn down again (taking gold with it) or push on to new highs, again most likely taking gold with it.

http://www.dailyfx.com/charts/Chart.html?symbol=EUR/USD

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$GOL...id=p65494800156

Clearly there are many other factors influencing USD, Euro, gold and oil, but in general terms they tend to move with this relative interplay. :)

HOLA4420
I bought all my physical gold stock at between $455 and $620. :lol: . If it drops to $650 I will sell at a large profit and go away and sulk at what might have been.

What was the strength of the dollar like at the time you bought it though - don't forget to take that into account.

If gold hits $850 I might put 15% of my savings into it as a hedge. I saw the benefits of it recently but didn't want to buy into it when it was in the 900's and rocketing up because of the fact it was clearly in a bit of a bubble at that time ... but if it gets back into the lower half of the 800-900 range I'll see it as a good hedge.

HOLA4421

The people who think gold is going to $700's are the same who believe oil is going to $70 or $80 due to the US going into recession.

Oil is THE key driver of the commodity market. On the international oil demand/ supply side, coupled with weakening USD means we're more likely to see $120 - $150 this year.

So yes, were a now seeing short term overbought conditions in gold but just watch this market explode again at some point this year. If you sell your physical position on this basis, good luck trying to get back in when it turns.

Edited by narco

HOLA4422
The people who think gold is going to $700's are the same who believe oil is going to $70 or $80 due to the US going into recession.

Oil is THE key driver of the commodity market. On the international oil demand/ supply side, coupled with weakening USD means we're more likely to see $120 - $150 this year.

So yes, were a now seeing short term overbought conditions in gold but just watch this market explode again at some point this year. If you sell your physical position on this basis, good luck trying to get back in when it turns.

Agreed (no expert).

Anyone who bought gold as a store of value should start buying now.

If you are selling now because of small price drop, you shouldn't have joined in the first place because you don't have the nerve.

The fundamentals have not changed in the global economy.

eg Citibank is in deep trouble etc.etc. Credit Derivative Meltdown in Progress etc.etc.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

That's where I'm at TBH, makes sense for me. As a partly pyhsical pension I just like/get the concept and even if what I've bought over past 2 years crashes (I reckon below $600/oz would wipe my 'profits' out), I'll still have a commodity in my hands to keep for decades. However, havn't bought much ( just a couple of uncirculated sovs for 110 quid each) whilst prices are at hovering $950 - $1000, just too dear IMHO. Decided to set myself a steady limit of circa 400 quid a month from here on in, but if the price goes mental, $1200+, I'll avoid.

Like to add that trading in any market is surely a full time occupation and even then 50% of the time folks make huge mistakes even when they're working for huge firms, supported by cutting edge info., supplied by an army of analysts at their beck and call/fingertips <_<

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA4425
However, havn't bought much ( just a couple of uncirculated sovs for 110 quid each) whilst prices are at hovering $950 - $1000, just too dear IMHO.

this how gold be will in the future.....soooo expensive and bought up as the main global currency which uk people investing entire saving plans into gold would only receive 80 grams or so for £20,000 pounds.

(hopes)...

:unsure: