House Price Crash Forum

What Will Happen To Car Prices In Hpc?

HOLA441
HOLA442
Will I be able to pick up a very cheap MEWd car as the sheeple sell to save their houses?

What happened in great crash 1?

I'm banking on this - need to replace our one but I think the market will be flooded over the next 12 months. People will downgrade their car if they think it will stop them downgrading their house / getting turfed out.

Just look at the US for the clues - car sales have tanked. We're just a bit behind them as usual.

HOLA443
HOLA444
I'm banking on this - need to replace our one but I think the market will be flooded over the next 12 months. People will downgrade their car if they think it will stop them downgrading their house / getting turfed out.

Just look at the US for the clues - car sales have tanked. We're just a bit behind them as usual.

nah ive got a 12 year old BMW 525 tds that i run on straight veggie oil.

I quite fancy a newer 530d.

HOLA445

You could pick a 9-11 up for peanuts after the last crash.

Stay clear of cars that eat up the petrol as i don't think taxes on petrol are going to do anything apart from going balistic and GW-Bush and his saudi royal friends are doing all they can to push the price of oil up so it's going to be a double wham.

i've already got the fast car bit out of my system after doing 148mph but can understand others wanting to do the same thing at some stage during there lives.

HOLA446

I’m really hoping for this too.

My car that I’ve had for the past five years is and always has been highly rubbish and for once in my life I’ve got the cash to buy a decent one, but I wonder if I can get a cheaper one when mortgages reset upwards.

Has anyone got experience of car prices falling in the US?

HOLA447
i don't think taxes on petrol are going to do anything apart from going balistic

This is what I'm thinking, I had a future nice car purchase planned but I increasingly get the impression I'd better do it sooner rather than later. Although fuel taxes will also make these vehicles harder to sell, right ?

Edited by t350t

HOLA448
HOLA449
Will I be able to pick up a very cheap MEWd car as the sheeple sell to save their houses?

There was a report on the TV the other day that claimed second hand prices were collapsing.

Its never been easier to go to a dealer and demand a hefty discount, so the market for second hand cars is fading. This is more with the sort of brands who have dealers who trade on volume obviously (Ford, Vockies, don't know about BWM or Mercedes though). There is (possibly) an argument that car prices are falling ahead of house prices now MEWing doesn't look quite as attractive.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
NOt forgetting that if car prices are crashing, the whole economy is going as well.

I think youd be better off paying down any credit cards and then saving as much as you can

I owe about 100 quid on 1 Cred card.

I have no other debts.

I just STRd . completed bout 2 weeks ago. Now have 70 grand in bank of sale.

sold for 136k bought for 72k in october 2001.

My mind is boggling by the fact I have the money i bought the house for of the proceeds of the sale

only 6 years to the day on!

I remember that when i bought the estate agents were bloody packed. when i sold they were bloody quiet. :-)

HOLA4414
I owe about 100 quid on 1 Cred card.

I have no other debts.

I just STRd . completed bout 2 weeks ago. Now have 70 grand in bank of sale.

sold for 136k bought for 72k in october 2001.

My mind is boggling by the fact I have the money i bought the house for of the proceeds of the sale

only 6 years to the day on!

I remember that when i bought the estate agents were bloody packed. when i sold they were bloody quiet. :-)

Great news- you are set for the crash!

Cash is king in a recession

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

IMO yes

In the last crash, residual values for used cars did not drop dramatically in nominal terms, but did fall in real terms (due to high inflation).

The used market is characterised by over supply (as there are around 2.5m new cars registered a year) and prices have been generally falling since 1999 (a good year is a gain of 2 or 3%, a bad year -10%). There was a boom in used values from 1994 to 1998.

I would expect the used market to be hit hard by the imminent recession.

HOLA4417

Just a little anecdotel from me: I have been in business with a friend buying from auction and selling in the autotrader, and we are finding that auction prices are sometimes higher than the private sale price. This is because there are members of the public now at car auctions, and they often bid the price of the cars well above trade values.

So my mate and I have made a slight loss so far on it. ho hum...

HOLA4418

You idiots.

How are car prices going to go down? Look at consumer prices, they're skyrocketing. The only reason house prices tend to fall is because they are fixed and cannot be sold elsewhere.

The currency is going to get trashed (as RB correctly has analysed) the minute the HPI-MEW miracle turns to sh!t. This is not going to make importing cars cheaper and will lead to exporting second hand cars to people with more money to pay for them.

HOLA4419
nah ive got a 12 year old BMW 525 tds that i run on straight veggie oil.

I quite fancy a newer 530d.

LOL.

I had a 330d Sport and got shot of it cos someone offered me a load of cash for it.

Now got a 12 year old 525tds!! :D

530d's are lovely, but cost a packet when they go wrong unless you are handy with the spanners. Fuel delivery and turbos are pretty common and you are looking at horrendous bills.

I am off to the auction this week to have a punt on something so I will let everyone know. I usually go once every couple of months. As the posted above said, certainly the last time I went, some of the prices cars were going through at were horrifically high. You could go and buy cheaper at a private sale.

HOLA4420
You idiots.

How are car prices going to go down? Look at consumer prices, they're skyrocketing. The only reason house prices tend to fall is because they are fixed and cannot be sold elsewhere.

The currency is going to get trashed (as RB correctly has analysed) the minute the HPI-MEW miracle turns to sh!t. This is not going to make importing cars cheaper and will lead to exporting second hand cars to people with more money to pay for them.

Its called supply and demand tons of cars needing to be sold=tons of prices coming down.

There was a huge market for Skodas in the last recession, they were sold to the busted Eastern block.

Not sure who wants our old cars as they are made throughout the world now with used cars everywhere,

HOLA4421
You idiots.

You are the idiot, as usual.

Car prices are volatile, especially in the UK where people get in huge hock to be "seen" as flash.

When people need to liquidate cash and pay back finance to reduce outgoings, the "flash" car is the first victim.

Seeing as we have so many flash cars here, a huge amount of which are ALL on finance, their values will plummet.

Especially when you consider how much these cars actually cost to run in terms of maintenance and consumables such as tyres, etc. BMW, Audi and Merc dealers know how to write out an invoice alright.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

You are both making two stupid errors.

1) That the situation today is anything like 1990

2) That there are only UK citizens in the market for buying cars (new or second hand)

You are both utterly ignorant of the reality that faces our country. The highest bidder wins the lot - foreigners with much appreciated currencies (compared to ours) will be buying the supply that has been fed into the domestic market.

This 1929 deflation nonsense really makes me wonder if you guys even have double digit IQ.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
You idiots.

:lol::lol::lol:

It helps if you know something about the industry, or economics.

• As I posted earlier, there is massive over supply in the used market. Refer to this link for some data - BCA

• Sales of durable goods tend to decline in a recession.

Also, educate yourself at the link below.

Wikipedia