House Price Crash Forum

Bbc On Buy-to-let Rental

crash2006

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6988664.stm

if thats the average weekly rent then it works out to be £27,300 a year, and the average london wage is 30k, so how do people live in london with out benefit help hey.

.....the story is originated by VIs ....the surveyors need a moving market to keep the turnover of surveys respectable.....the Association of Rental Letting Agents need the rentals.....is there a proper rental index which could be authenticated..?...if they are all rising as they say they are then inflation must be rocketing ......basket or no basket.....!.... :o:o:o

HOLA445
.....the story is originated by VIs ....the surveyors need a moving market to keep the turnover of surveys respectable.....the Association of Rental Letting Agents need the rentals.....is there a proper rental index which could be authenticated..?...if they are all rising as they say they are then inflation must be rocketing ......basket or no basket.....!.... :o:o:o

BBC = BTL Bullsh1t and Cover-up

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I think like immigration statistics a lot of data is based on 2001 census stats. I reckon when the next census comes out, England and London in particular will see:

A fall in Home ownership.

A massive rise in number of people per house (i.e. renting together)

A fall in the number of square feet of living space per person.

A level of immigration that will surprise even migration watch.

i.e. rental costs per person will have hardly increased but a big fall in the standard of living.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

"The average weekly rent for a flat in prime central London is now £525 a week, with £215 a week being charged in the South East and £150 in the rest of the UK."

""Current economic uncertainty has created an ideal platform for buy-to-let investors to cash in on rising rental levels," said RICS spokesperson Jeremy Leaf."

215*4 = 860

150*4 = 600

These look a bit low to me!

Rising rental levels maybe but what are the rental price increases ? 2%? 3% ?

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4414

if thats the average weekly rent then it works out to be £27,300 a year, and the average london wage is 30k, so how do people live in london with out benefit help hey.

I noticed this too and did a quick calculation and then needed a lie down, can someone verify this figure or is it the worse case of pot smoking at the beeb seen so far this year.

Edited by Jimmy2Times

HOLA4415
I noticed this too and did a quick calculation and then needed a lie down, can someone verify this figure or is it the worse case of pot smoking at the beeb seen so far this year.

"The average weekly rent for a flat in prime central London is now £525 a week, with £215 a week being charged in the South East and £150 in the rest of the UK."

HOLA4416
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Best ask for some significant pay rises then.

HOLA4417

MISQUOTE

The average weekly rent for a flat in London is now £525 a week,

You've managed to misquote the article and then confused yourself with your conclusions from your own misquote! :lol:

It says weekly rent in PRIME CENTRAL London.

Average Londoners don't live in prime central London. :rolleyes:

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

HOLA4418

.....this 'prime central London is now' phrase sounds like VI spin.....I am sure there were many nice flats 4 bedroom five bathrooms rented out in Central London to Corporates for nooo's per week which helps the average...what they don't mention is how this compares with the figure 3, 6 or 12 months ago and we may learn something....to say 'now' is like inviting a response 'so what'.......... :lol::lol::lol::P

HOLA4419

""Current economic uncertainty has created an ideal platform for buy-to-let investors to cash in on rising rental levels," said RICS spokesperson Jeremy Leaf."

215*4 = 860

150*4 = 600

These look a bit low to me!

Rising rental levels maybe but what are the rental price increases ? 2%? 3% ?

Make no mistake: we now have an ideal platform for buy-to-let investors to cash in...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Sounds like a desperate attempt to talk up the market to me.

Eg, houses are unaffordable, therefore more people are renting, therefore rents are going up, therefore BTL is a good investment, therefore houses are unaffordable, etc etc

Or is this really what is happening? :o

Well no, because rents have to be founded in the reality of what people earn and can afford to pay. This doesn't apply to house prices of course.

Also the BTL investors who bought in the past few years are competing with BTL's who bought 10/20 years ago and have substantial equity and little borrowings so have little need to hike rents.

HOLA4423