House Price Crash Forum

Local Rag Printed My Letter!

HOLA441

As you some of you may know I decided to write a letter to my local rag in support of a man called D. Thompson who urged people to "resist EA hype".

Thread here.

I then wrote a letter to support him, but it didn't get printed - 2 weeks later two letters appeared in a prominent position which argued that house prices will carry on their "meteoric rise".

Enraged by this, I wrote to the Editor again and - to his credit - has printed it pretty much lock stock and barrel.

Local EAs won't be happy, but I don't care ! :lol::lol::lol:

They get away with their crap in multi-page supplements every week, so it's a small achievement but of one I feel justifiably happy !

observerletter27apr2006.jpg

HOLA442
Guest Winners and Losers

As you some of you may know I decided to write a letter to my local rag in support of a man called D. Thompson who urged people to "resist EA hype".

Thread here.

I then wrote a letter to support him, but it didn't get printed - 2 weeks later two letters appeared in a prominent position which argued that house prices will carry on their "meteoric rise".

Enraged by this, I wrote to the Editor again and - to his credit - has printed it pretty much lock stock and barrel.

Local EAs won't be happy, but I don't care ! :lol::lol::lol:

They get away with their crap in multi-page supplements every week, so it's a small achievement but of one I feel justifiably happy !

observerletter27apr2006.jpg

That's brilliant WL, you are a credit to HPC. Well done. :)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Congratulations. A major coup IMO. And it reads much better in the newspaper than when I read it on the thread when it first appeared! Lol. Appearing in print must have given the piece the gravitas it deserves.

Brilliant.

Edited by Baz63

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Quite well written but I would have edited (out?) the last paragraph.

...also, I'm slightly surprised at the lack of references to 'it's cheaper to rent' 'it's better to wait' etc...

I suppose it does come across as slightly bitter and twisted :lol: and it's tempting to write lots of different things but it did the job.

This is a call out to all other FTBs to get writing to your local newspapers and make your frustrations heard !

Don't suffer in silence.

HOLA4411

I suppose it does come across as slightly bitter and twisted :lol: and it's tempting to write lots of different things but it did the job.

This is a call out to all other FTBs to get writing to your local newspapers and make your frustrations heard !

Don't suffer in silence.

Good on you WL, well done

Yes folks just think if every frustrated FTB'er took the time to write to their local rag with a letter like WL's you might end up starting a revolution. Well you could end up having local pub meets with other frustrated FTB'ers.

Ya never know til you try.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Congratulations. A major coup IMO. And it reads much better in the newspaper than when I read it on the thread when it first appeared! Lol. Appearing in print must have given the piece the gravitas it deserves.

Brilliant.

I applaud your action and success in getting it published. The ONLY way the market will change is if you change people's perception. But, that is not a major coup. It is a minor coup. Now what about the rest of you? Why not take a night off from here and send a similar missive to all your local papers - and throw in the nationals as well.

I may be the scum of the earth (and thanks for repeatedly reminding me) but even I can see that what has happened over the last 5 years is actually not very healthy.

HOLA4415

I may be the scum of the earth (and thanks for repeatedly reminding me) but even I can see that what has happened over the last 5 years is actually not very healthy.

Are you chilling out in your old age? :unsure:

HOLA4416

even I can see that what has happened over the last 5 years is actually not very healthy.

... and give me early-2002 prices in my area now - and I would be buying a house and getting a mortgage in a heartbeat, just like the bulls are saying that FTBs should be doing.

Except that I'm sticking to my guns and not heeding that advice, no matter how well intentioned it might be. The worm isn't for turning yet.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

brill - good lettter and well done!

Must admit I really did go "all out" on the writing of that, and I honestly expected the Editor to tone down the language or take some of the impact out - but he didn't.

I'll give them their due and I've sent editor a well deserved thank you. You see - not all newspapers are out to doggedly tow the VI property line. Perhaps he had some sympathy with the letter.

I hope that other young people in my area will see it and feel that they can identify with it.

This is the type of thing we all have to do to spread the word, and do things bit by bit to change sentiment.

I know that one letter in one newspaper and one website isn't going to cause a house price crash on it's own, but I think that FTBs everywhere should speak up a bit more, and not take the endless crap from the VIs.

HOLA4422
Guest X-QUORK

Any chance one of the more literate and persausive Bears on this forum could put together a really good standard letter that could be used by all in a mass mail-out to all our local rags? Any volunteers?

Yes, I know I'm being a lazy sod, but if you don't ask... ;)

HOLA4423

... and give me early-2002 prices in my area now - and I would be buying a house and getting a mortgage in a heartbeat, just like the bulls are saying that FTBs should be doing.

Except that I'm sticking to my guns and not heeding that advice, no matter how well intentioned it might be. The worm isn't for turning yet.

Great stuff WL! :D

HOLA4424
HOLA4425