House Price Crash Forum

Go Vince Cable! Go Lib Dems!

HOLA441

"What is to be done? On the regulatory front there should be a tightening up on non-income verified mortgages"

"it is recklessly irresponsible of some banks to be lending at six times peoples' incomes in an environment where there are significant downside risks to the economy and bad debts are growing."

"There are millions, mainly older people, sitting on substantial property and pension fund assets while younger people are straining to service debt and maintain positive equity.

A continued growth in unemployment and a slowdown in income growth could imperil the latter without touching the former. "

"It is an irony that Gordon Brown's reputation for economic soundness rests not on prudence and thrift but on consumer self-indulgence and debt. That reputation may not survive much longer."

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.j.../07/ixcoms.html

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

"What is to be done? On the regulatory front there should be a tightening up on non-income verified mortgages"

"it is recklessly irresponsible of some banks to be lending at six times peoples' incomes in an environment where there are significant downside risks to the economy and bad debts are growing."

"There are millions, mainly older people, sitting on substantial property and pension fund assets while younger people are straining to service debt and maintain positive equity.

A continued growth in unemployment and a slowdown in income growth could imperil the latter without touching the former. "

"It is an irony that Gordon Brown's reputation for economic soundness rests not on prudence and thrift but on consumer self-indulgence and debt. That reputation may not survive much longer."

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.j.../07/ixcoms.html

great article - the last sentence really sums it all up. Bravo! :D

HOLA444
HOLA445

Until now politicians have seemed reluctant to address the consumer debt problem. Perhaps, this will become a key part of the Lib Dem's campaign going forward - it could capture the votes of the younger apathetic non-voters and could get support from the richer, older people who see their children struggling with debt.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Riser

Can't wait for Brown to become PM we will start to see mch more of this sort of reporting. B)

A further argument is that there is no household solvency problem since assets are - roughly - three times the value of liabilities. However, a large part of the assets base rests on the boom in house prices which some believe to be an inflated bubble which could painfully burst

HOLA449

HPI has been a plague on this country. The Sheeple are going to eventually realise it and start to look for someone to blame. Mr. Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown is his name and hyperhouse inflation is his claim to fame and things just ain't the same, this man is just lame.

This sums up the Realist view of the Telegraph:

A further argument is that there is no household solvency problem since assets are - roughly - three times the value of liabilities. However, a large part of the assets base rests on the boom in house prices which some believe to be an inflated bubble which could painfully burst
It is an irony that Gordon Brown's reputation for economic soundness rests not on prudence and thrift but on consumer self-indulgence and debt. That reputation may not survive much longer

If David "Scotty"* Cameron can put together a viable team and draw up a radical plan to rebuild this country on sound economic principle he may be given a shot. LibDems are still a little "purple shirt" to be elected yet--IMHO.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4410

Until now politicians have seemed reluctant to address the consumer debt problem. Perhaps, this will become a key part of the Lib Dem's campaign going forward - it could capture the votes of the younger apathetic non-voters and could get support from the richer, older people who see their children struggling with debt.

Yes. It's a great strategic position. Staunch labour supporters are hardly going to vote conservative, but they may vote Lib Dem.

I've heard so many people I know who have voted labour all their life say that they will not vote labour at the next electon. I think they're going to take a troucing at the next elections and my feeling is that a lot of votes could go LAB -> LIB.

HOLA4411
Guest Riser

Yes. It's a great strategic position. Staunch labour supporters are hardly going to vote conservative, but they may vote Lib Dem.

I've heard so many people I know who have voted labour all their life say that they will not vote labour at the next electon. I think they're going to take a troucing at the next elections and my feeling is that a lot of votes could go LAB -> LIB.

Problem is that Ming is so close to Brown that it will be a wasted vote, Labour will still pull the strings.

HOLA4412

I have to disagree. I know so many people that said the same about Labour over the Iraq war and then they still went and voted Labour. The only way it will be different is if these people start feeling the pinch.

Would you trust the lib dems with the economy?

HOLA4413

I have to disagree. I know so many people that said the same about Labour over the Iraq war and then they still went and voted Labour. The only way it will be different is if these people start feeling the pinch.

I want this government to finally fear being removed from office and start listening to the population of the UK.

HOLA4414

Good to hear, sounds like hes in touch with the public - is he really an MP? ;)

He mentions tightening up on silly income-muliples for mortgages, but this alone would not be enough, and may simply lead to a situation where more FTB's are forced into renting.

A tightening of income multiple lending along with a tax on BTL would be a winner.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

<recent BTL mode>

What? Are you saying that if house prices go down, the amount owed on the mortgage doesn't go down as well?

</recent BTL mode>

Billy Shears

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

An MP with consistency and a belief that sometimes saying the things that people might not want to hear is the right thing to do, quite amazing, he also seems to have a grasp that the long term inconsistencies in earnings/wealth between generations may some some serious repercussions. I think he is right.

Vince Cable was the only politician highlighting the perilous state of finances of a large swathe of the population before the last election. I thought that maybe once the election was out of the way he would slink back into the shadows. How wrong I was.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The Lib Dems won't get it - but they could get enough votes to be taken more seriously and I think thats the better option for right now. Lib Dems have number of reasonable propositions i.e. Proportioanl Representation etc. but are unlikely to win any election outright.

But if enough votes go their way then who knows how much influence the Lib Dem policies might have.

- Pye

HOLA4421

There are far more LAB-CON marginals than LAB-LIB so a big swing to the Lib Dems will result in a Conservative government.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The alternatives being?!! Nulabor and the conservatives have both presided over ruinous credit booms in the past 20 years. Would you trust either of them? The lib dems seem like a grown-up alternative. Just hope Ming doesn't renege on the 50% over 100 grand tax rate, which it looks like he might. He's a pretty welcome addition to the political landscape, if you ask me - will make the blair/cameron twins look like a right couple of teenage lightweights, which of course they are.

HOLA4424

I voted Labour all my life up until the last election. Last time I voted Lib Dem.

Billy Shears

HOLA4425