House Price Crash Forum

Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole (BCP) Observations

HOLA441
Posted (edited)

I fondly call the BCP merged council (Borough of Cockney People) which with outlying towns has a catchment area population of 0.5 million.

The biggest influx has been retiring and quitting Londoners in so called white flight moves as crime and unrecognisable parts of London due to mass illegal and legal immigration with little english spoken and forced many to upsticks and who can blame them.

I have lived down here since 1997 and regularly talk to beach hut owners many with our Arry Rednapp accents (our most famous celebrity who lives down here and now a property developer converting hotels and large houses into flats).

Lots of local del boy property developers making a fortune selling to these Londoners who have the money and think prices cheap compared to back in London.  Sadly the avaergae wage is 25k pa for the locals with many on minimum wage whilst the average 2 bed flat hits 300k or rent for 1600 pm.

The sea, the heathland and the new forest and purbecks on either side make it very difficult to build on greenbelt although 5000 new houses currently being built between the airport and broadstone via previous tory run council.  The LibDems now in charge for over a year so not as easy to do this so brownfield sites priority.

Supply and demand will keep prices up from what I am seeing and little coming onto market and if in a nice area and good nick selling quick.

Oversupply of flats with 15k to be built over next 10yrs to meet housing targets as no more room for big housing developments as little green belt left not already being built on.

My prediction housing in good areas will continue to increase in value whilst flats will fall in value due to fire safety regs causing large increases in service charges going forward and if labour introduce scrapping of leasehold for existing flats will make this an interesting market as tax payer will pick up the bill.

Its a beautiful place to live and retire to so anticipate all those like me taking early retirement at 57 to move here and with summers in Europe expecting to be in late 40's expect many to come here to holiday as we have a great airport with Ryanair and Jet2.com operating lots of flights for 30 quid return.

Would be interested to know how many Londoner's/South East dwellers on this site tempted to retire down here over the c coming years?

Edited by coypondboy

HOLA442

I made my recent Mudeford observations in the Bristol thread.

Something I have noticed is the number of Londoners who buy a holiday home here in the anticipation of retiring in a decade or twos time, Where I live there are two of those in a road of ten properties. By holiday home I don't mean Air BnB. 

I am convinced that the people who bought 15 years ago would be in profit even if they bought with a 100% mortgage. In contrast the people who bought a year ago at the top of the market as shown in the chart might be underwater for a long time. 

£580,000 9 Jun 2023 Freehold
£450,000 10 Mar 2021 Freehold
£360,000 23 May 2018 Freehold
£240,000 30 Nov 2006 Freehold
£154,000 6 Sep 2001 Freehold

For context
a) The people who bought in 2018 did quite a bit to the property. Heat pumps etc.
b) I don't think the people who bought in 2021 did anything.
c) There is a property of the same basic design on the market for £425K at the moment. That is the empty one where the sale has fallen through twice already.   

HOLA443
HOLA444
9 minutes ago, winkie said:

Dorset a nice county, very beautiful, few people stop as rubbish trains, rubbish buses and no motorway.....passing by on stop to further south west.;)

I disagree about the trains 

you can get there in as little as 1 hour 45 minutes on the fastest services. You'll normally find around 77 trains per day running on this route.

I have known several people commute into London every day from here. Our former departmental secretary did that in the 1990s.

As for people not stopping, last August Bank holiday, Mudeford beach was absolutely rammed with day trippers.

HOLA445
7 minutes ago, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

I disagree about the trains 

you can get there in as little as 1 hour 45 minutes on the fastest services. You'll normally find around 77 trains per day running on this route.

I have known several people commute into London every day from here. Our former departmental secretary did that in the 1990s.

As for people not stopping, last August Bank holiday, Mudeford beach was absolutely rammed with day trippers.

You are talking about coastal Dorset, nice coastal areas are always nice if can get to them.........took me four hours the other day to get from Waterloo to somewhere not far from Sherborne and not cheap at that, train stopped at Salisbury and had to wait for a connecting bus in very cold weather......could have flown 2000 miles from Bournemouth airport in comfort for less time and less money.;)

HOLA446
29 minutes ago, winkie said:

Dorset a nice county, very beautiful, few people stop as rubbish trains, rubbish buses and no motorway.....passing by on stop to further south west.;)

I agree that there is a lot of beautiful countryside in Dorset. I've been surprised to find out in recent years there is lots of beauty all along the south coast, even as far east as Sussex and Kent - historic towns, castles, legacy steam trains, National Trust gardens etc.  The biggest surprise is that house prices seem most expensive the further west you go, at least on the coast.  

HOLA447

I've changed my mind on Bournemouth. The town centre in Bournemouth has gone downhill dramatically over the last 5 years. There are better places to buy I believe now.

I find Boscombe actually better. The last time I visited Bournemouth a beggar was quite aggressive towards me. I visited Boscombe afterwards, and had no issue. Boscombe has been bumping along the bottom for a while, and suffered the same fate with closing banks, pharmacies and shops (WH Smith is closed) but I think most people know how to look after themselves.

HOLA448

I was brought up in between broadstone and Wimborne. I have lived in Poole, Swanage and for 6 years around Christchurch. I agree beautiful in many places. Just so busy now. No decent escape West. Okay for Southampton and heading up to Newbury, Reading, Basingstoke and Surrey/London. 

I’m down in Devon now and it feels 20 years behind Poole and Bournemouth. Plenty of nice places to visit and not far from Cornwall and North Devon for something different. I like it and much better value for money the pace of life is slower which suits me better 😀

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Trampa501 said:

I agree that there is a lot of beautiful countryside in Dorset. I've been surprised to find out in recent years there is lots of beauty all along the south coast, even as far east as Sussex and Kent - historic towns, castles, legacy steam trains, National Trust gardens etc.  The biggest surprise is that house prices seem most expensive the further west you go, at least on the coast.  

Iconic image.;)

dorset-gold-hill-640x480.jpg&nocache=1

HOLA4410

Poole and Bournemouth suffered some of the biggest drops in property prices in the 2008 crash. This is largely down to the large number of second homes and holiday rentals there, any economic crisis and thats whats gets sold off by the wealthy. Poole prime property has only just recovered to 2008 prices a couple of years back.
I would say with covid well over and more people taking foreign holidays this are will have a tough time over the next few years.

HOLA4411
17 minutes ago, VeryExtremeFarRightDriver said:

I've changed my mind on Bournemouth. The town centre in Bournemouth has gone downhill dramatically over the last 5 years. There are better places to buy I believe now.

I find Boscombe actually better. The last time I visited Bournemouth a beggar was quite aggressive towards me. I visited Boscombe afterwards, and had no issue. Boscombe has been bumping along the bottom for a while, and suffered the same fate with closing banks, pharmacies and shops (WH Smith is closed) but I think most people know how to look after themselves.

I haven't been into Bournemouth town centre since Debenhams closed. I just realised I have been to the BH2 cinema a couple of times but the last time we parked in their car park, saw the film then left. Unless I have a desperate need to visit Natwest I can't think of any other reasons to go.

We go to the Sovereign Centre in Boscombe quite often and have no complaints. Of course there is a hare-brained scheme to demolish that to provide outdoor space for performance art such as begging.

HOLA4412
Posted (edited)

When I did GCSE Geography I learned that Bournemouth was the largest non-industrial conurbation in Europe.  I suppose all capital cities had some industrial element.

I lived in Poole for six months in 2008/09 and it seemed a bit dull and desolate.  I remember the building site opposite where I lived where worked had stopped overnight during the GFC.

I was last in Bournemouth for a course at the RNLI college.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn.  The surrounding area appeared to have a high level of worklessness and attendant social problems.  With the insurance companies shrunk and the retired boomers dying I’m not sure what keeps the local economy going.

Edited by Will!

HOLA4413

Back in 2012 Boscombe had 60 drug rehablitation centres - when addicts were released from prison they ended up in Boscombe, which is why Boscombe has gone so downhill in the past 20 years.  It eventually became a waste of time for the beggers/addicts as everyone avoided the high street so they all decamped to Bournemouth, which has deteriorated so fast it's shocking.  Add in the knife crime in the evenings and the town is pretty much dead compared to what it was 20+ years ago. 

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, Will! said:

When I did GCSE Geography I learned that Bournemouth was the largest non-industrial conurbation in Europe.  I suppose all capital cities had some industrial element.

I lived in Poole for six months in 2008/09 and it seemed a bit dull and desolate.  I remember the building site opposite where I lived where worked had stopped overnight during the GFC.

I was last in Bournemouth for a course at the RNLI college.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn.  The surrounding area appeared to have a high level of worklessness and attendant social problems.  With the insurance companies shrunk and the retired boomers dying I’m not sure what keeps the local economy going.

These are made in Poole, literally round the corner from the RNLI building
https://www.sunseekerpoole.com/en

Quite a few vacancies but I wasn't impressed by the wages on offer

Over in Christchurch two companies with better wages 
https://www.cobham.com/
https://www.curtisswrightds.com/about/company/locations/christchurch

Bournemouth itself doesn't have much industry but has lots of financial services
https://www.jpmorgan.com/about-us/locations/emea/bournemouth

I would question how much "industry" London has these days. Didn't it all get moved to places like Basildon ? 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

This guy's channel does a lot in the area:

To say Bournemouth has gone downhill is an understatement, it's a fkn ghetto by the looks of things. I Lived in Ringwood on and off since '82 lived in both Bournemouth and Boscombe in the 90's, now mobile. The place is dead/dying yet house prices are to the moon, like much of the south its nothing more than an overpriced skip fire of a town.

It's only when you see other parts of the country that are clean, tidy, without zombie vagrants about the place and with house prices that are affordable do you see these places for the scam they are........

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
42 minutes ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Bournemouth doen't look that bad tbh.

Obviously never been to Slough have you?

Last time I was in the centre in 2021 it was derelict-looking, awful place.

HOLA4419