House Price Crash Forum

Tory No Confidence Vote?

HOLA441
2 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I can't reveal this particular source, sorry.

All I can say is that elections are almost always Spring or Autumn, and currently my inside sources are telling me that there are plans being made an election for Autumn, and realistically October to string it out as long as possible.

If I can put it another way, the government is currently asking for things to be done that it wouldn't ask for if it was planning a Spring election.

October would give them time to get Johnson back on the throne. He's apologised for Covid so it's forgotten forever now like the GFC.

Middle class Tory voting w@nkers need an upper class w@nker to inspire them and keep their dreams of inheritance alive.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
11 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I can't reveal this particular source, sorry.

All I can say is that elections are almost always Spring or Autumn, and currently my inside sources are telling me that there are plans being made an election for Autumn, and realistically October to string it out as long as possible.

If I can put it another way, the government is currently asking for things to be done that it wouldn't ask for if it was planning a Spring election.

That is what I'm hearing from my large-C conservative friends.  The election strategy is basically 'hope something turns good by Autumn'.  In the shadows they are planning scorched-earth and how to pin a GE wipeout on Rishi.

HOLA443
10 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

I have decent record betting on PMs and when they’ll depart, and this morning was sufficiently significant for me to say to friends that it was time for another flutter…

I give him 60 days max. 

Given that we are only a year from the last possible time for an election and all the rumours say Autumn, is there anything to stop Sunak from calling one in the Spring (or at least threatening to) if they try to oust him? Because if its a choice between another leadership race and a general election, wouldn't they just opt for the GE at this late stage?

Does he get to choose? Can he just say "f**k you all I'm going nuclear".  I'm guessing the opposition would all vote in favour if there has to be a vote, and I could imagine a fair few Tories would (the ones that have already got something lined up for after the defeat)

Edited by Bear Necessities

HOLA444
HOLA445
18 hours ago, MarkG said:

If you followed politics around the West you'd see that the new divide is neoliberals vs nationalists (though many of the supposed nationalists like Meloni have turned out to be neoliberals in drag).

Having two openly neoliberal parties would just leave the field open for a nationalist party to move in.

If the Tories are going to have any future, it's in becoming an openly nationlist party, but that's far beyond the abilities of any of their potential 'leaders'. Anyone who wants to be bossed around by neoliberals can just vote Labour, so there's no point to a neoliberal Tory party.

If Farage were ever to win an election he would also be a neoliberal 

In the end they all have no choice 

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, Si1 said:

That's so contemptible.

Did govts of previous generations do this to the same degree?

I can't comment for sure. I hear its common gamesmanship (remember the cupboard is bare post it note), but apparently this is on another level. Most games are for the first year, but stuff is being planned to f*** up the entire parliamentary term.

HOLA447
19 minutes ago, msi said:

I can't comment for sure. I hear its common gamesmanship (remember the cupboard is bare post it note), but apparently this is on another level. Most games are for the first year, but stuff is being planned to f*** up the entire parliamentary term.

Quite 

I recall that the Major and Ken Clark government deliberately left the following labor government a very tight budget plan to commit to. It was deliberately being quite tough on them. That's not something that throws a whole country under the bus. This lot sound like utterly depraved evil and corruption. They're dealing with life-changing pain and consequences for tens of millions of UK citizens.

It's very much the pinnacle of vituperative public schoolboy pranks. No conscience.

Edited by Si1

HOLA448
5 minutes ago, Si1 said:

It's very much the pinnacle of vituperative public schoolboy pranks. No conscience.

BuT lAbOuR....TrAnS...wOkE.... 

We are being fed to the dogs by the same Gammonatti that complain about 'Being fed to the dogs'...

HOLA449
2 minutes ago, msi said:

BuT lAbOuR....TrAnS...wOkE.... 

We are being fed to the dogs by the same Gammonatti that complain about 'Being fed to the dogs'...

I realise in the very long run the odd hiccup like this probably doesn't affect long-term welfare much. But I only hope people cut labour enough slack to cope with it in their likely forthcoming parliamentary term.

HOLA4410
13 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I realise in the very long run the odd hiccup like this probably doesn't affect long-term welfare much. But I only hope people cut labour enough slack to cope with it in their likely forthcoming parliamentary term.

I'm guessing the ToryFanBoyz and Gammonatti will give any Labour Government 4pm on their first day to clear the national debt, set immigration to zero, fix the NHS to zero waits, get unemployment to zero and make every child get a first class degree at 16, and half taxation or demand they resign, disband the party and beg for a Glorious century of Tory rule ;)

All those throbbing temples simultaneously exploding will give way to a country wide wave of amnesia

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, msi said:

I'm guessing the ToryFanBoyz and Gammonatti will give any Labour Government 4pm on their first day to clear the national debt, set immigration to zero, fix the NHS to zero waits, get unemployment to zero and make every child get a first class degree at 16, and half taxation or demand they resign, disband the party and beg for a Glorious century of Tory rule ;)

All those throbbing temples simultaneously exploding will give way to a country wide wave of amnesia

My most significant hope is that they're too incompetent to initiate scorched earth policies lasting for years because let's face it they couldn't even do it with honest policies so why should they be any better at dishonest ones. And besides the civil service may get a say.

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, zugzwang said:

October would give them time to get Johnson back on the throne. He's apologised for Covid so it's forgotten forever now like the GFC.

Middle class Tory voting w@nkers need an upper class w@nker to inspire them and keep their dreams of inheritance alive.

Boris is not upper class though. His family only came into money quite recently? So by definition they cannot be upper class.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
20 minutes ago, Armus said:

Can you name one poster in either of these categories, or your other favourite 'loons'?

Plenty, just look at the loons I have to deal with in my post history. I don't mention them by name because I won't give them the airspace or honour.

HOLA4418
4 hours ago, MancTom said:

Boris is not upper class though. His family only came into money quite recently? So by definition they cannot be upper class.

Johnson's great grandfather was a prominent journalist and politician. Very well connected. He was stoned to death according to Wiki.

HOLA4419
4 hours ago, Si1 said:

My most significant hope is that they're too incompetent to initiate scorched earth policies lasting for years because let's face it they couldn't even do it with honest policies so why should they be any better at dishonest ones. And besides the civil service may get a say.

How about choosing to re-finance Gordo's housing bubble?

You know, the one that led to the first run on a British bank for 150 years and then caused the financial system to collapse outright?

WHAT. WERE. THEY. THINKING??

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Johnson's great grandfather was a prominent journalist and politician. Very well connected. He was stoned to death according to Wiki.

Depending on your definitions I'd say Boris is the lower bound of upper class. His combination of contacts, family and wealth gives him f#ck-you levels of influence and imperviousneas.

HOLA4421
2 hours ago, zugzwang said:

How about choosing to re-finance Gordo's housing bubble?

You know, the one that led to the first run on a British bank for 150 years and then caused the financial system to collapse outright?

WHAT. WERE. THEY. THINKING??

Agreed. But I think that's relatively minor compared to what they could do if they really wanted to f#ck things up.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
12 hours ago, Si1 said:

Depending on your definitions I'd say Boris is the lower bound of upper class. His combination of contacts, family and wealth gives him f#ck-you levels of influence and imperviousneas.

Johnson's superiority complex is what the Tory boys want to see again! A touch of cruelty and generous draughts of Empire nostalgia. He's the complete package.

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA4424
26 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Johnson's superiority complex is what the Tory boys want to see again! A touch of cruelty and generous draughts of Empire nostalgia. He's the complete package.

You get this from upper level public school boys don't you. Cruelty. A kind of focussed aggression intent on destroying candid debate. Contempt for those driven by morals or the collective.

HOLA4425
Just now, Si1 said:

You get this from upper level public school boys don't you. Cruelty. A kind of focussed aggression intent on destroying candid debate. Contempt for those driven by morals or the collective.

The Officer class talking down to the rank-and-file.