House Price Crash Forum

This Will Be A Day Long Remembered...

HOLA441

While its rare to need a reason to quote Darth Vader, this will indeed be a day long remembered...

1. The Help to Buy scheme has formally closed after nearly a decade

2. Quantitative Tightening has begun after over a decade

3. The Nationwide index registered a first fall for over a year and the largest for over two years

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

While its rare to need a reason to quote Darth Vader, this will indeed be a day long remembered...

3. The Nationwide index registered a first fall for over a year and the largest for over two years

lenin.jpg.7ba603976a1a8089bcb7c789c804c26e.jpg

HOLA443
11 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Quite agree.  It's all coming together.

This is why I can't see anything other than a 20-40% fall in house prices over the next couple of years.

HOLA444
HOLA445
26 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

6ccd948d35e42838da6bc8fade82bcdab4b2d9e6

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
2 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The head-winds are many

Mortgage Rate Rises

No Term Funding

Inflation

QT

Ageing population

Insane prices

War

nothing points to house prices shooting up, everything points to massive falls.

It all results in a simple rebalancing of a market (property in this case), which as most here know is long overdue.

You can fiddle and meddle as much as you like but the day of reckoning will always come. You can't beat the tide.

There are those who will be cut adrift (bought in the last few years w/BIG mortgage etc.) but them's the breaks.

HOLA449
8 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Ageing population

War

nothing points to house prices shooting up, everything points to massive falls.

Why does an ageing population suggest a massive house price fall?

War is also a tricky one, as it depends (being somewhat callous) upon the balance of people killed to houses destroyed.

The other things are massive headwinds I agree, but those stuck out to me in your list as odd ones?

HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, Blobsy said:

It all results in a simple rebalancing of a market (property in this case), which as most here know is long overdue.

You can fiddle and meddle as much as you like but the day of reckoning will always come. You can't beat the tide.

There are those who will be cut adrift (bought in the last few years w/BIG mortgage etc.) but them's the breaks.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
16 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

War is also a tricky one, as it depends (being somewhat callous) upon the balance of people killed to houses destroyed.

The other things are massive headwinds I agree, but those stuck out to me in your list as odd ones?

They'll all die and no one can afford to buy their houses, they'll become probate/forced sales.

HOLA4415
24 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Because the younger demographic needing to prop these overinflated asset/house prices of the boomer generation are tapped out.

Student debt, credit card debt, etc. Rising rates are amplifying the fundamental flaws in the debt pyramid scheme. The simple fact is they can't get the mortgage's nor the spending power to do it. 

They can bus in all the illegal immigrant's (consumers) they want but fundamentally the spending power just isn't there in enough of the working population burdened with high taxes, high debt and high cost of living.   

Edited by Casual-observer

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
39 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

They'll all die and no one can afford to buy their houses, they'll become probate/forced sales.

32 minutes ago, Casual-observer said:

Because the younger demographic needing to prop these overinflated asset/house prices of the boomer generation are tapped out.

Student debt, credit card debt, etc. Rising rates are amplifying the fundamental flaws in the debt pyramid scheme. The simple fact is they can't get the mortgage's nor the spending power to do it. 

I agree that student debt and credit card debt etc are all contributors to the brake on house prices.

The fact that the population are ageing I guess eventually also must do, since they aren't generating productive income to generate wealth.

I'm not sure that the fact they die per se reduces house prices very quickly, since the boomer generation will take decades to die off, with most of them not dying for another 10-15 years yet. 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 minute ago, scottbeard said:

I agree that student debt and credit card debt etc are all contributors to the brake on house prices.

The fact that the population are ageing I guess eventually also must do, since they aren't generating productive income to generate wealth.

I'm not sure that the fact they die per se reduces house prices very quickly, since the boomer generation will take decades to die off, with most of them not dying for another 10-15 years yet. 

You don't need them to die off in swathes in one fell swoop. 

What will be happening though is those whom need to sell either through retirement or death are facing a less well off demographic below them unable to prop their asset prices. 

The younger buyers below them throughout the pyramid just aren't wealthy enough and it will therefore cut through. Prices are set at the margins. 

It's a similar problem at the national level of the borrowing/spending issue, the cheap money era is over and the simple fact is the current size of the state built on a cheap money era can't be sustained anymore with a tax base that is frankly maxed out. 

It's why I find it odd how people are supporting the Hunt/Sunak approach when the bottom line is the current size of the state can no no more be sustained no more than house prices can. 

It's immoral they're trying to keep this pyramid going through obscene immigration levels and tax rises. 

Something at some point is going to snap. 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
14 minutes ago, Casual-observer said:

You don't need them to die off in swathes in one fell swoop. 

What will be happening though is those whom need to sell either through retirement or death are facing a less well off demographic below them unable to prop their asset prices. 

The younger buyers below them throughout the pyramid just aren't wealthy enough and it will therefore cut through. Prices are set at the margins.

Sorry if this seems being pedantic now, but this is NOT a fall due an ageing population.  This is a fall due to younger people in the usual FTB age range being less well off for other reasons, and it's those other reasons driving the fall.

And this effect would be seen even if the population demographic was stable, not to do with it ageing.

An ageing population IN ISOLATION has a very much slower effect.

HOLA4422
7 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Sorry if this seems being pedantic now, but this is NOT a fall due an ageing population.  This is a fall due to younger people in the usual FTB age range being less well off for other reasons, and it's those other reasons driving the fall.

And this effect would be seen even if the population demographic was stable, not to do with it ageing.

An ageing population IN ISOLATION has a very much slower effect.

I disagree as the boomer generation in itself is a significant bulge in the demographic base. 

This bulge now hitting the retiring/death phase of their lives is going to present significant economic problems in my humble opinion. I do forsee it causing headwinds in the housing market that's then amplified with a younger population that doesn't have the equivalent spending power to compensate this bulge. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425