House Price Crash Forum

Help to Save

btd1981

HOLA441

Help to Save...the latest installment in the government 'help to' series...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/help-to-save-what-it-is-and-who-its-for/the-help-to-save-scheme

Getting some coverage today.

I don't get the purpose? If you're in receipt of welfare, and can save 'x', then this implies you can afford to have your welfare reduced by 'x'....not receive an additional three figure '0.5x' top up!?!!?!

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I spent a fortune of my own money on university to get a decent job, saved years of my income towards a deposit on a house and have been so responsible with family planning that now we're ready for a family, nature is providing the contraception for free!!

Where is OUR fckn help???

HOLA442

I think this is well intentioned and an attempt to get people on low incomes or benefits to save BUT I understand your anger.

One aspect of our benefits system is the low bar for savings tends to disincentivise people to hold savings.  The current limit is around £16,000 but its OK to own a house worth hundreds of thousands of £.  Its just another thing which makes me so cross about the UK at the moment.

The good news today is that the Chancellor is thinking of lifting the freeze on fuel duty.  That should help to put up the price of petrol and Diesel and we all know that rising prices are GOOD?!?

HOLA443
52 minutes ago, dougless said:

I think this is well intentioned and an attempt to get people on low incomes or benefits to save BUT I understand your anger.

One aspect of our benefits system is the low bar for savings tends to disincentivise people to hold savings.  The current limit is around £16,000 but its OK to own a house worth hundreds of thousands of £.  Its just another thing which makes me so cross about the UK at the moment.

The good news today is that the Chancellor is thinking of lifting the freeze on fuel duty.  That should help to put up the price of petrol and Diesel and we all know that rising prices are GOOD?!?

well the pensions triple lock has to be paid for somehow.

HOLA444
HOLA445
2 hours ago, btd1981 said:

Help to Save...the latest installment in the government 'help to' series...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/help-to-save-what-it-is-and-who-its-for/the-help-to-save-scheme

Getting some coverage today.

I don't get the purpose? If you're in receipt of welfare, and can save 'x', then this implies you can afford to have your welfare reduced by 'x'....not receive an additional three figure '0.5x' top up!?!!?!

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I spent a fortune of my own money on university to get a decent job, saved years of my income towards a deposit on a house and have been so responsible with family planning that now we're ready for a family, nature is providing the contraception for free!!

Where is OUR fckn help???

Benefit scroungers, Baby Boomers and Bankers - if you're not among these groups, expect to be paying for their lifestyle.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
24 minutes ago, MattW said:

This!

Whack the interest rates on ISAs and savings. There's your 'help' to save for everyone. A lot more simple than the Government's scheme.

But haven't you noticed that our Governments don't seem to like simple solutions probably because simple solutions don't make enough money for their chums.

• Land tax would be a simple solution - they don't want that.
  • Reduce the number of stealth taxes and keep tax simple - they don't like that.
  • Bring Education provision back into central control that would cut out a lot of parasitic middle men - they don't like that.

HOLA449
6 hours ago, dougless said:

I could never understand why if someone has a few pounds saved no assets they get penalised....own an expensive home no savings or savings that can be seen can collect help to live.....what incentive is there to save? notwithstanding low rates of interest and erosion of value.......I can well understand why people feel cross about the unfairness of it all.

The chancellor is pushing inflation, incentivising people to travel less (so spending less), or perhaps encouraging them onto the expensive trains? or pushing future electric transport, much of it to rent as you go, by pricing the working and middle class people out, for some their only real sense of freedom, perhaps their auto is the only thing they can say they own outright ..... Fuel prices are about to explode, higher than the 3% if lucky for some pay increases, even energy cos are complaining about the mild summer, not making enough profit......increase prices higher they might find their profits, including the profits of all sorts of businesses will be less....;)

HOLA4410