House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Publishes My Comments!

HOLA441

There is a debate on house prices on "Have your say" I've contributed to many of these debates but never ever had my sometime humpy point view published.

Added: Sunday, 29 January, 2006, 20:25 GMT 20:25 UK

I am laughing my head off at all these people who say stop spending money on gadgets and cars and holidays and nights out etc and that if FTB's gave these things up we'd be able to afford a house - you lot clearly have no idea.

I'm 30, have £50k in the bank, earn £45k a year save £1000 a month (sometimes more depending on overtime) and yup, you guessed it, got no hope of buying a house in the south east.

Now tell me how, somehow this is all my fault.

Dan, Hemel Hempstead

Recommended by 5 people

What's more my comments have been recommended 5 times! (What ever that actually means?? anyone know?) :)

HOLA442
HOLA443

There is a debate on house prices on "Have your say" I've contributed to many of these debates but never ever had my sometime humpy point view published.

I am laughing my head off at all these people who say stop spending money on gadgets and cars and holidays and nights out etc and that if FTB's gave these things up we'd be able to afford a house - you lot clearly have no idea.

I'm 30, have £50k in the bank, earn £45k a year save £1000 a month (sometimes more depending on overtime) and yup, you guessed it, got no hope of buying a house in the south east.

Dan, Hemel Hempstead

Recommended by 5 people

What's more my comments have been recommended 5 times! (What ever that actually means?? anyone know?) :)

nice work!

HOLA444
HOLA445

some other good posts on there too......

Everyone knows that prices are going to crash eventually... finally the first time buyers have decided to wait it out... expect to see prices nose dive in the next 12 months... the only people saying otherwise are the morgage lenders. (No supprise there!!!)

It amazes me that people believed prices would rise forever... they think houses will one day be worth infinity amounts of money!

Nathan Hobbs, Luton, United Kingdom

HOLA446
HOLA447

I've submitted my own comment but doubt it will be published. I can't believe some of the crap being posted on there. There's a whole gang of morons who take the view that house prices haven't gone up absurdly at all, it's just that we're all lazy and unwilling to make sacrifices to afford them. Apparently we all expect to live in palaces for our first homes and are "unrealistic" in our expectations. Bloody idiotic. Conveniently the fact that houses that were perfectly affordable a few years ago are now double what they were is being ignored.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I've submitted mine but it's not appeared yet (they usually don't). DrBubb's is there now though.

I recall a similar set of comments on the BBC about a year ago. At the time most people were saying it's expensive but were just getting on and buying. I can see a huge difference now. Quite a few of the comments seem to be that it's too expensive, they can't or wont buy and a fall is very possible.

There are some morons too of course!

Edited by Portent

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

DrBubb

You post a lot of interesting and knowledgeable messages but where on earth do you get the time to do so? I've noticed that you are also a prolific poster on Singing Pig (as is London Landlady who boasts on there about a BTL she's bought for 20% below asking price whilst claimimg there is no crash - how stupid!). Anyway I'm intrigued as to who you are, what you do for a living and where you get the time to post so much - or do you just type very fast?!

All the best...

HOLA4412

I like your post Dr. Bubb - just a thought, in future when posting on general sites like the BBC perhaps it is better to say 'first-time buyers' or Bank of England' than FTBs or BOE as, I suspect, many of the general public have no idea what the TLLs mean! <_<

Btw, what does BWM - is that right - which has been popping up on this site a lot lately actually mean?

HOLA4413

I've submitted my own comment but doubt it will be published. I can't believe some of the crap being posted on there. There's a whole gang of morons who take the view that house prices haven't gone up absurdly at all, it's just that we're all lazy and unwilling to make sacrifices to afford them. Apparently we all expect to live in palaces for our first homes and are "unrealistic" in our expectations. Bloody idiotic. Conveniently the fact that houses that were perfectly affordable a few years ago are now double what they were is being ignored.

Well quite. Pompous boomers saying 'well in the 70s we had to make huuuuge sacrifices'. Yes, but even then you could stretch to afford a 3 bed semi. If houses in Moss Side are more than 4 x my salary, I ain't going to be stretching to live there. Yes a mere 80k and a crack den next door.....mmm lovely. I work hard, I deserve to live in a place (however small) in a SAFE area. The only places I can afford are in parts of Manchester where people drain their petrol tanks every night to stop their cars being TWOCed or I can drift off to sleep to the sound of a distant drive-by shooting.

HOLA4414

My Mum is very ill at the moment and has been in intensive care for the past 7 weeks. I have more or less lived in the hospital and have got to know a lot of the staff. One lovely young woman, one of the cleaners, is a single Mum and she lives not far from me ,(Sketty, Swansea), with her boyfriend and she told me last week that her mortgage is 280 per month - she bought in 1997. She said her mortgage is so low she does not worry about it.

Now, the road where she is living, well, the houses - semi-detached - are now on the market for about 200 to 250K with 229K seeming about the average. I cannot afford to buy one of those houses unless I stretch myself to worrying and sleepless nights levels. Goodness knows what she paid in '97 to have such a small mortgage but, and I am not trying to be snobbish here, I am an IT Consultant who can earn a very good salary and I cannot afford to live next door to someone who is earning far less than me.

HOLA4415

No disrespect, but cool it guys.

It stresses me out when we descend into one of those "who deserves what" arguments. We all know the deal: These people who say we're not working hard enough are simply browning their trousers over the current situation, desparate to hang onto their prices. Those who bought after 2003 particularly. They need us to buy in more than we need them.

B)

HOLA4416

Good grief - I am only half way through reading the comments on the BBC's website but am amazed how bearish the majority of the posts are!

Yes, there are a few "When we bought back in 2000 BC..." ones posted but I never expected to see so many negative comments re high house prices, how expensive the UK is, how the economy is now in trouble, etc, etc. It is interesting to hear so many comments from people in their early 20s about how disillusioned they are with the UK.

It is interesting to see how many people connect HPs with the economy and how many think the economy is in so much trouble due to the ridiculous levels of debt.

HOLA4417
When I and my contemporaries were starting out it was quite common to hear a couple say, “we are saving up to get married and/or buy our house”. I had one friend who taught all day Monday to Friday and did a shop job on Saturday; her husband took shifts in a betting shop. Colleagues left the office at 5 and did an evening job, in a bar or stacking shelves. I did Saturday overtime at every opportunity. We were graduates who had no false pride about what it took to bring home the bacon. We bought small shabby houses and scraped off wallpaper until the early hours. We furnished them with whatever we could get, third hand. We were young and had the energy, and more importantly, the will.

e ww

Young people today are a bunch of lazy no-good layabouts who spend their days hanging round newsagents smoking crack. If they can be bothered to collect their dole cheques they spend all the money on prostitues. Infact, every single 20-35 year old in the country has 4 iPods, is unemployed, binge drinks every night, and (most importantly) has no respect for their elders.

In the good old days of the 50s and 60s, there was no crime, everyone was industrious, highly educated, and unselfish. This bloke's **** also provided all of the sunshine for the entire world.

From now on my parent's generation shall be known as the 'SUPER GENERATION' because they were, simply, the best generation ever!

Oh, and it should be "my contemporaries and I".

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
In the good old days of the 50s and 60s, there was no crime, everyone was industrious, highly educated, and unselfish.

Probably because the country was full of a few million men who had seen enough fighting and killing to last a lifetime... and if you were stupid enough to start something with someone you more than likely would be starting it with someone who had landed at Normandy, fought in Burma, the North Atlantic, the Desert, etc, etc.

;)

HOLA4421
There is this belief amongst first time buyers that they should automatically live in a three bedroom detached house with all the trimmings. People dont seem to want to start at the bottom of the ladder. Buy a small flat. Do it up, decorate it and when you have equity, sell it and reinvest in something bigger. Keep doing that until, after years of hard work, when you are in your thirties or forties, you can have that nice shiny new house. It doesnt happen overnight!!!

Mark H, Luton, United Kingdom

Recommended by 5 people

Reading this really does hurt my brain. :blink:

Unfortunately Mark H really does reflect the views of a large proportion of the population.

I wonder if he owns any BTLs.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Perhaps he did not read the post from the Brit couple who bought in Holland at the height of the bubble and, even with very generous tax rebates, are struggling to sell it and break even FIVE years later!?

It's the level of ignorance that I find remarkable. Has no one told him house prices have nearly trebled in the last 6 years? Most likely another self-satisfied Daily Mail reader.

[EDIT] Not that I'm making a generalisation about a social group though. ;)

Edited by HPCheese

HOLA4424

wehey mines there too :D:D

Added: Saturday, 28 January, 2006, 21:48 GMT 21:48 UK

I see lots of typical baby boomer responces here.

So, us youngsters want too much do we, are you sure its not the older generations that "expect too much"....

They have not done anything for their home's equity, it's been pure luck, hope you havent spent it all on 4x4's and holiday homes because it will need to be payed back one day.

Tax the BTL brigade and build more affordable housing...

dan, medway

Recommended by 12 people

HOLA4425

Dan, Hemel Hempstead

Recommended by 5 people

So your 50K deposit and £1000pcm saving, (plus your present rent if applicable) is not sufficient to buy one of the 200K houses in Hemel or area? Wait a year and you'll have another 12K, and prices won't have risen in the SE (certainly not enough to price you out) and who knows they may well fall.

I think some of my favourite postings, talking about unrealistic expectations of today's :lol: first time buyers, is more apt...