House Price Crash Forum

Deflationary collapse and the Reflation Cycle to Come.

HOLA441
10 hours ago, durhamborn said:

My target 14 months ago was $1.22 up to $1.39 then down to $1.10 - $0.90 in a debt deflationĀ .Its close enough now for me to start buying $ treasuries.

DB, what level of USD Treasuries are you targeting as a proportion of your overall pot? (obv tell me to get stuffed if you'd prefer to not say!)

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 hour ago, Thorn said:

I am watching Carillion play out to see if some form of government intervention happens andĀ it is effectively to become a semi-state organization. Even if different name, management, etc, that would fit with the premiseĀ of this thread.

maybe a different government say chinese or qatari

HOLA444
28 minutes ago, stoobs said:

DB, what level of USD Treasuries are you targeting as a proportion of your overall pot? (obv tell me to get stuffed if you'd prefer to not say!)

Im not sure yet.It depends on if i sell all my gold miners or not.Il probably be looking at around 18%,iĀ hold zero corporate bonds,zero gilts.I already hold around 6% in TLT.Im actually going to sell FCG this week (its up 15%) and switch that in treasuries.

Ā 

HOLA445

Anybody thinkĀ the longest comment onĀ this telegraph article on btl Ā (article is firewalled, comments arenā€™t) sounds familiar?Ā 

Someoneā€™s been copy pasting from this thread-unless itā€™s you of course, DB!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy-to-let/end-britains-buy-to-let-love-affair/

thanks to all contributors to this thread btw-best on the site imho!

HOLA446
8 minutes ago, Eventually Right said:

Anybody thinkĀ the longest comment onĀ this telegraph article on btl Ā (article is firewalled, comments arenā€™t) sounds familiar?Ā 

Someoneā€™s been copy pasting from this thread-unless itā€™s you of course, DB!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy-to-let/end-britains-buy-to-let-love-affair/

thanks to all contributors to this thread btw-best on the site imho!

Cheeky monkey eh,thats a complete copy and paste of this thread.Not to worry though,BTL investors could do with hearing what the macro picture is.The more it gets out there the better.Few will accept it of course.Cant happen.In 1982 with rates at 20% would people of thought they would end up at near enough zero?.If these BTLs are on yields of 8% or less they will be underwater on cashflow in the next cycle before voids.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
3 hours ago, suresh786 said:

do you think that the dollar will start to rise from here

No,i think it goes to my target from 14 months ago 88 or 86.Those are targets though.I use them as direction of travel for investments.I dont try time to the letter because nobody can,once in range things can change.Sterling is close to my target now,close enough to buy dollar assets in steps.These calls were all based on macro work and cross market analysis,the picture can change,but so far iv seen nothing to change anything.

Ā 

HOLA4412
37 minutes ago, StrugglingMillennial said:

And finally carrilion flops, how i wish i had shorted it lol

Debt deflation in action.Used debt to secure work from rivals because coupon rates were so low,money didnt cost what it should.The convertible debt was priced at 2.5% coupon when it should of been 8%+.Once cash flows slow and margins come down then its all over.First of many.Government will likely take a lot in house from the wreckage and use it in the next cycle to pump money through.

Those pension problems should also start to make investors wake up to the risk on many balance sheets from that as well.The economy needs inflation,we will get it in buckets,just the biggestĀ debt deflation since the warĀ to get through first.

Ā 

HOLA4413
4 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

Debt deflation in action.Used debt to secure work from rivals because coupon rates were so low,money didnt cost what it should.The convertible debt was priced at 2.5% coupon when it should of been 8%+.Once cash flows slow and margins come down then its all over.First of many.Government will likely take a lot in house from the wreckage and use it in the next cycle to pump money through.

Those pension problems should also start to make investors wake up to the risk on many balance sheets from that as well.The economy needs inflation,we will get it in buckets,just the biggestĀ debt deflation since the warĀ to get through first.

Ā 

Agree on the "first of many" comment: All those who borrowed to get ahead and subsidise business (and won big contracts). Some of my competitors in the logistics world have done that too. I can't wait to say goodbye to them

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Agree on the "first of many" comment: All those who borrowed to get ahead and subsidise business (and won big contracts). Some of my competitors in the logistics world have done that too. I can't wait to say goodbye to them

Yes they are all going to get found out soon.Companies that used capital to grow and not debt will reap the rewards in the next cycle,they just need to get through a really tough couple of years.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
3 hours ago, durhamborn said:

No,i think it goes to my target from 14 months ago 88 or 86.Those are targets though.I use them as direction of travel for investments.I dont try time to the letter because nobody can,once in range things can change.Sterling is close to my target now,close enough to buy dollar assets in steps.These calls were all based on macro work and cross market analysis,the picture can change,but so far iv seen nothing to change anything.

Ā 

what you think will be pound/dollar in next 12 months? $1.30? or even lower

HOLA4417

There are also thousands of small firms that carry out work on Carillion's behalf - many of those have contacted the BBC with concerns about whether they will be paid.

One company, which provided services for Carillion's prisons contract, told the BBC that it might fail if it is not paid the Ā£80,000 owed to it.

How many of Carillion's suppliers are waiting on invoices to be paid so they can pay their bills?Ā  That's the next part of this sorry saga.Ā  Contagion is the magic word today.

HOLA4418
14 minutes ago, suresh786 said:

what you think will be pound/dollar in next 12 months? $1.30? or even lower

I have no idea,it depends on when the bust hits.My target is roughly parity so il be buying some $ assets now and up to $1.39,then sit back and wait.Im not interested inĀ the tape short term.It can do what it wants.

HOLA4419

listenedĀ to Puplava's weekend podcast in the car this morning.Ā  Themes he's touched on before but worth pointing out again - that retail investors have not really participated in this bull run.Ā  Of the monies they've put into the market, 90% have gone into bond funds!Ā Ā He and a few other interviewedĀ managers seem to have had a few retail clients wanting to get back into the market (and Bitcoin!) having been burnt in 2007 and out since then.Ā  The run has been due to corporate buy backs of their own shares.Ā  Indeed some analysts have spoken of the privatisation of the market.Ā  Also, means this rally could possibly last at least a few more months as the tax cuts filter into more of the same.Ā  What will the corporates do with increased profitsĀ (lower corporate tax rates) and the repatriation of overseas funds?Ā  To my mind, either "finance"Ā necessarily lower margins, invest (buy) overseas, or engage in more share buy-backs and acquisitions, plus the usual executive compensation of course.Ā  Of course this could be short termĀ as a couple of the interviewees mentioned the fillip lasting only in the first quarter or so of 2018.Ā  Interesting comment from him and his interviewee that maybe the best tactic for those late to the party is to invest like a rifle (stock pick) rather than a shotgun (passive index trackers).

HOLA4420
15 minutes ago, Majorpain said:

How many of Carillion's suppliers are waiting on invoices to be paid so they can pay their bills?Ā  That's the next part of this sorry saga.Ā  Contagion is the magic word today.

Sorry but Carillion issued three profit warnings and was widely shorted by the market.

My understanding of the creditor ranking in a liquidation:

. Secured creditors with a fixed charge (e.g. banks and invoice factors holding security over a companyā€™s sales ledger).

. Preferential creditors (includingĀ employees up to certain limits).

. Secured floating charge creditors and the ā€˜prescribed partā€™.

. Unsecured creditors (includingĀ trade suppliers, contractors, HMRC, suppliers, and customers).

. Connected unsecured creditors (including a directorā€™s family and maybe a member of staff who lent money).

. Shareholders (if there are sufficient funds!).

Contagion?Ā  Quite possibly.Ā  Sadly, the banks may call in their loans or threaten the government with such in some form of attempted bargaining.

Edited by Fence

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
18 minutes ago, Fence said:

Sorry but Carillion issued three profit warnings and was widely shorted by the market.

My understanding of the creditor ranking in a liquidation:

. Secured creditors with a fixed charge (e.g. banks and invoice factors holding security over a companyā€™s sales ledger).

. Preferential creditors (includingĀ employees up to certain limits).

. Secured floating charge creditors and the ā€˜prescribed partā€™.

. Unsecured creditors (includingĀ trade suppliers, contractors, HMRC, suppliers, and customers).

. Connected unsecured creditors (including a directorā€™s family and maybe a member of staff who lent money).

. Shareholders (if there are sufficient funds!).

Contagion?Ā  Quite possibly.Ā  Sadly, the banks may call in their loans or threaten the government with such in some form of attempted bargaining.

It will be interesting to see how they unwind this.The contracts are the assets,the government needs to sue the company for breach of contract so that the banks and secured creditors dont extract the value.The banks and bond holders shouldnt be getting anything back.

HOLA4423

I have to say I'm rather disappointed with silver performance, with DXY going down so much and gold doing quite well in comparison.

Also, Blackrock Gold and General (the only gold-related fund available in my SIPP) still manages to drop in value despite gold surge.

I don't understand any of it.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
3 hours ago, kibuc said:

I have to say I'm rather disappointed with silver performance, with DXY going down so much and gold doing quite well in comparison.

Also, Blackrock Gold and General (the only gold-related fund available in my SIPP) still manages to drop in value despite gold surge.

I don't understand any of it.

Seems like a lot of manipulation of the price. I spent an evening googling it and the price, volumes being traded etc seem to be controlled by some big companies who can keep the price down or let it rise as they wish, so far preventing price discovery. Worth a google.