House Price Crash Forum

Gut based parasites and booze

RichB

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I went to Nepal last year, and got Giardia, a nasty amoeba type parasite endemic to the area (although you can get it in Europe too). I got rid of it with a single 2g dose of Tinidazole though, purchased without a prescription or examination of any sort in Kathmandu. Had I gone to my docs in the UK it would have been sodding weeks of tests at vast expense to arrive at the same cure. And all the time I would have been running to the bog 5 times a day.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
On 2/27/2017 at 10:15 AM, MrPin said:

I can drink like a Geordie!

Me too.

But being from the softer, Southern end of the region, I am not naturally adept at punching mackems and police-horses...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
11 minutes ago, RichB said:

Is that a euphemism I am not familiar with?

neigh-way-masked-fan-squares-horse.jpg

XYY

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Is that video from 2017 or from the 1980's?

Those neck protection bits on those police helmets don't protect them when their heads are slightly forward.

That was about five years ago, the guy played all the disability cards as well. The judge brushed them aside.

A Bristol Rovers fan punched a police horse in 2014 when they were relegated to non-league. So that's two but it's not quite a trend yet.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/police-horse-punched-football-hooligan-429669

HOLA4415
10 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

neigh-way-masked-fan-squares-horse.jpg

XYY

I was at an Iron Maiden gig at Twickenham a couple of years ago. As we were leaving, a squad of police in full riot gear on horses approached quite aggressively. The crowd responded by trying to lift small children onto the horses and take photos, meanwhile others started feeding the horses sweets and beer. Needless to say, the mounted police were put to flight in under a minute. 

HOLA4416
21 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I was at an Iron Maiden gig at Twickenham a couple of years ago. As we were leaving, a squad of police in full riot gear on horses approached quite aggressively. The crowd responded by trying to lift small children onto the horses and take photos, meanwhile others started feeding the horses sweets and beer. Needless to say, the mounted police were put to flight in under a minute. 

Brilliant. That's some serious psyops worthy of The Men who stare at goats. 

HOLA4417
6 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

^ :D

Anyway, I have a point about boozy cures.

I tend to suffer quite a lot from mouth ulcers from time to time for some reason. Usually after I've chewed my face off in the night. By a process of elimination I have determined that the best cure for mouth ulcers is Timothy Taylor's Landord. I last tested this on Friday when I went out to the pub nursing a sore ulcer. Whilst I only had one pint of it and took care to swill it around my mouth, the next day I realised I had no ulcers again. Pretty impressive stuff.

I'd struggle to drink it these days (way too much sugar) but my standard cure when I was feeling a cold coming on was to drink four pints of medium cider (and no more!) and the next morning the cold would be entirely gone.  I didn't get the same effect from beer or lager, my usual drinks, so I'm guessing it's the combination of alcohol / fruit sugars / ?aldehydes that temporarily lifts the body's ability to fight the bug.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I believe some studies do show moderate drinkers have a lower incidence of gastric cancer due reduced risk of certain infections - think H. Pylori is one.

Archived