House Price Crash Forum

Radio 1 Asking young people to give up their days off to help the elderly for free

stuckin2up2down

HOLA441

What a disgusting thread. People giving up their own time to help others and they are mocked. Not every pensioner is rich and in today's "me, me, me", "I'm alright Jack" society things like this should be applauded. How many on here can say they do anything like this for others? Be it the elderly, the young, the poor, refugees, disabled or otherwise. It seems being priced out of a home has turned many on here into horrible people. Either that or being horrible comes naturally.

I first found this site because I was priced out and desperately wanted a house of my own at a reasonable price. However I didn't leave my principles at the door and I haven't blamed society's ills on others. 

HOLA442

As establishment propaganda broadcaster the #VileBBC's job is to get the plebs to direct their attention and anger anywhere but the establishment. Old people, young people, unemployed scum, cartoon terrorists, panto villain celebrities etc etc

Think of all their hard hitting investigations to the establishment paedophile ring, thirty years into the past, as long as the suspects are six feet under. Wonder what they're going to be looking into in thirty years time... 

Edited by thewig

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
16 hours ago, stuckin2up2down said:

Most of whom are probably the boomers that have stripped the world like locusts and left the young paying for a lifestyle they can only dream of.

I don't know about that.

The majority of boomers aren't actually of pensionable age yet.

UK boomer era 1946-1964, so 'boomer' range between those of 52 years old to 70 years old.

See the graph, we're not seeing the real impact of 'boomers' yet.

The closer we get to 2025 the more the social welfare, health care, and pension system will be stressed.

Plenty of people are older than 70 now. Alone, unwell, lonely.

What's wrong with young people helping their elders?

Or are you just a miserable ****?

united-kingdom-population-pyramid-2016.g

EDIT: its amazing how resilient the human body is when you're under ...say 50 years old. Now cross that 'line in the sand' as it were and the effects of a cold, a broken bone, a knock in the head...even a simple fall.... the dangers to your well being grow exponentially. The mind is also a precious thing...when you start to forget, can no longer see well, can't hear.... damn.

Boomers will relinquish the wealth you're apparently targeting them from in the form of health care costs, probate & inheritance taxes both now and in the future.

Edited by cashinmattress

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I'm proudly GenX and do not wish to be associated with boomer scum.

F*** me I love your stuff but you are proud of a shag 9 months before you which resulted in your birth date  being very randomly placed in millennia in a generation  which some goon named Gen X

The elite love you they really do - job done 

There is good and bad in every country, family or generation but you know what ML most people don't get up to screw the world or their kids over they hope for the best, like they have always done.

Only reported this morning that more Mums and Dads are trying to help their kids not exactly the actions of scum is it ?

HOLA447
HOLA448
5 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Well the least is minimum income guarantee  ( 150 ish ?) and would include full housing benefit, transport and council tax paid.

Probably top 5% globally. Poverty is relative.

Probably dream scenario for many working families too as regards disposable income.

Exactly, its a shed load of money and that's just for the ones that didn't save a single penny or take advantage of the ridicious pensions.

"The vast majority of the elderly are in a pitiful position."

And your evidence for this is?

The vast majority of the young are in a pitterful position, stuck at home, low paid jobs, no pension, no house, insecure work and tax rises on the way.

Round where I am all the big houses are filled with one or two pensioners that a young person could only afford with a lottery win. I've little sympathy for someone that stays in a huge house with plenty of equity that is very unsuitable to retire in. You need to plan these things!

HOLA449
43 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

What's wrong with young people helping their elders?

Or are you just a miserable ****?

Boomers will relinquish the wealth you're apparently targeting them from in the form of health care costs, probate & inheritance taxes both now and in the future.

What's wrong with being paid for work?

Great all the wealth they have creamed off their young will go into the pockets of the money grabbers that run care homes and HMRC...that will really help society.

HOLA4410
16 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

They're not all well off. I often used to drive  for a service that took the elderly who weren't mobile enough to use public transport, to doctors and hospital appointments, etc.  It was obvious that a good many were far from well off - and it was nearly always these who tried to give me a pound for my petrol. Some of their flats/houses  were like going back in time to the 50s. It was like another world. 

Also, it's quite a while ago now, but daughters' school and the boys' school next door used to host a huge Christmas party for many elderly who hardly ever got out.  Parents would do taxi service and it was very obvious that many of them were hard up.  I still remember one lovely old couple who said what a treat it was to have a ride in a car.  Enough to make you weep.  It made me weepy, anyway.  And so many of them really looked forward to this party each year and said what a treat it was.  The schools did make a huge effort but basically it was just a free tea with some entertainment thrown in, and they all got a present of something like a tin of biscuits to take home.  

Pensioners can have many £ks either in the bank or under the mattress and live frugally because they feel poor.

HOLA4411
12 hours ago, NuBrit said:

Lies. Filthy dirty rotten lies :P

Seriously though, you are on the money. My kids volunteer to help the old as part of their youth club. The vast majority of the elderly are in a pitiful position. I have seen the exact same thing as yourself, elderly folk who are desperate for any kind of social interaction they can get and living in totally backward living conditions. 

The whole thing has made me mad, and disgusted in people who have a go at pensioners. The rotten thing is that often these same people are defending expatriate, tax dodging millionaires to their last drop of blood. So many people on this forum, the very people who claim they are not brainwashed by the mainstream media are very often the ones most vociferously defending the current status quo. 

You obviously don't live I the same part of Belfast I do. The vast majority here are in a wonderful position.

HOLA4412
7 hours ago, nome said:

Personally speaking I could live very comfortably on £110 a week, although I admit I'm probably more frugal than your average person, I also suspect it's a lot more than I'll get when I reach State Pension age (if I actually manage to live long enough to reach a future State Pension age)

And any boomer who was too stupid and short sighted enough to not take advantage of the insanely generous private/company pension schemes available when they were working has only got themselves to blame as far as I'm concerned.

Edit - The first article I came across browsing the online papers today...

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/745674/Own-home-housing-market-retired-pensioner

I have never argued that,yes some people had far better opportunities ,but not all was my point  

Yes they stood by and let the bankers rape the country in the last two decades but just look at the young today look at many of the gen X that voted for the very same inept politicians that turned a blind eye ,and are still doing so ,48% of the people voted for the status quo in the referendum  which have destroyed any chances of the young have a fair crack of the whip .....guess what if you vote for more of the same you will not get any change recent history is proof of this

HOLA4413
2 hours ago, Impatiently Waiting said:

What a disgusting thread. People giving up their own time to help others and they are mocked. Not every pensioner is rich and in today's "me, me, me", "I'm alright Jack" society things like this should be applauded. How many on here can say they do anything like this for others? Be it the elderly, the young, the poor, refugees, disabled or otherwise. It seems being priced out of a home has turned many on here into horrible people. Either that or being horrible comes naturally.

I first found this site because I was priced out and desperately wanted a house of my own at a reasonable price. However I didn't leave my principles at the door and I haven't blamed society's ills on others. 

+1 hindsight is a wonderful thing when it comes to the blame game 

HOLA4414

My nana was on £142 a week last time I checked, 3 bedroom house all to herself, house full of furniture she's had for ever, free TV licence, free bus travel, children and grandchildren all grown up. She's no use for this amount of  money, just lets it accumulate in her account.

Compare her with my generation, difficult to get jobs, job seekers' allowance is £71, housing benefit £65 so combined income of £136 of which is supposed to cover rent, bills and furniture and goods for setting up a home, impossible to save for buying a house or children, often in debt from uni.

A sane society would give more to the young person who will spend it on goods and housing and having children than to the old person who will likely spend it on leisure or hoard it. Or at the least give an equal amount to all unemployed people regardless of age.

HOLA4415
21 hours ago, Impatiently Waiting said:

I agree with your sentiment. I think as individuals we have a responsibility to manage our own lives as well as we can. I'm in the 1946 - 1956 age range and bought my first house when average prices were 3'ish x incomes. We struggled with mortgage interest rates around 10% + for many years. We didn't buy to impoverish future generations, we bought to fulfill our needs. We've worked, paid taxes, paid National Insurance contributions, saved, invested, brought up our children. We've helped our children with their housing needs. We currently live in a four bedroom house that is bigger than we need on a day to day basis. However it gives us enough room to have our children and their families stay if they wish and we also have room if friends want to come and stay.

And yes both my wife and I are eligible for State Pension which we are deferring at present. 

What a selfish person I must be.