House Price Crash Forum
stuckin2up2down

Radio 1 Asking young people to give up their days off to help the elderly for free

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0387cft

They were promoting this today. Case study of a young guy giving up his day off to go and help OAPs. Most of whom are probably the boomers that have stripped the world like locusts and left the young paying for a lifestyle they can only dream of.

Why are they promoting this working for free culture? It seems many things that should be paid for are being taken away by people doing it for free. I'm sure many of these OAPs could afford to pay someone for their time. Espcially if this person will probably never retire, own a home or have a pension.

They're not all well off. I often used to drive  for a service that took the elderly who weren't mobile enough to use public transport, to doctors and hospital appointments, etc.  It was obvious that a good many were far from well off - and it was nearly always these who tried to give me a pound for my petrol. Some of their flats/houses  were like going back in time to the 50s. It was like another world. 

Also, it's quite a while ago now, but daughters' school and the boys' school next door used to host a huge Christmas party for many elderly who hardly ever got out.  Parents would do taxi service and it was very obvious that many of them were hard up.  I still remember one lovely old couple who said what a treat it was to have a ride in a car.  Enough to make you weep.  It made me weepy, anyway.  And so many of them really looked forward to this party each year and said what a treat it was.  The schools did make a huge effort but basically it was just a free tea with some entertainment thrown in, and they all got a present of something like a tin of biscuits to take home.  

Edited by Mrs Bear

To be fair generation boomer is only just coming up to retirement.

Some people seem to call anyone over 42 and under 90 a boomer.

I do take the point that young people are being screwed over.  They don't seem to realise it, and when they do take action they seem to support things that cause them to be even more screwed.  They have been heavily indoctrinated though, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Maybe we could get the young to borrow huge amounts of money at exorbitant interest rates to fund their education so old people can stay in their huge paid off houses.

Oh yeah we have already done that.

Maybe the BBC should suggest that everyone, no matter their age, give up some time off to volunteer at a food bank for a bit, or a homeless shelter, or a women's refuge. Or is it only pensioners who deserve special attention.

How about we destroy the pension system for the young whilst promising to pay whatever unfunded ridiculous amount had been promised to the old.

Oh yeah we have already done that. 

young folk will be too busy working so they can pay the rent to the old couple that owns the house they rent. After all they will that rent income for their next cruise.

5 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

They're not all well off. I often used to drive  for a service that took the elderly who weren't mobile enough to use public transport, to doctors and hospital appointments, etc.  It was obvious that a good many were far from well off - and it was nearly always these who tried to give me a pound for my petrol. Some of their flats/houses  were like going back in time to the 50s. It was like another world. 

Also, it's quite a while ago now, but daughters' school and the boys' school next door used to host a huge Christmas party for many elderly who hardly ever got out.  Parents would do taxi service and it was very obvious that many of them were hard up.  I still remember one lovely old couple who said what a treat it was to have a ride in a car.  Enough to make you weep.  It made me weepy, anyway.  And so many of them really looked forward to this party each year and said what a treat it was.  The schools did make a huge effort but basically it was just a free tea with some entertainment thrown in, and they all got a present of something like a tin of biscuits to take home.  

Lies. Filthy dirty rotten lies :P

Seriously though, you are on the money. My kids volunteer to help the old as part of their youth club. The vast majority of the elderly are in a pitiful position. I have seen the exact same thing as yourself, elderly folk who are desperate for any kind of social interaction they can get and living in totally backward living conditions. 

The whole thing has made me mad, and disgusted in people who have a go at pensioners. The rotten thing is that often these same people are defending expatriate, tax dodging millionaires to their last drop of blood. So many people on this forum, the very people who claim they are not brainwashed by the mainstream media are very often the ones most vociferously defending the current status quo. 

Edited by NuBrit

5 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

+1.

Can't quite believe this thread. Leave the pensioners out of it.

If you want to rant, rant at the politicians (pre 2007) and the bankster (post 2007) generic scumbag policies.

This is clearly the fault of their policies and not the owners who happened to work hard in their corner shop to own their own home.

5 hours ago, long time lurking said:

How much is a state pension £110 pw ? not  everyone in the boomer age range has a private pension 

Personally speaking I could live very comfortably on £110 a week, although I admit I'm probably more frugal than your average person, I also suspect it's a lot more than I'll get when I reach State Pension age (if I actually manage to live long enough to reach a future State Pension age)

And any boomer who was too stupid and short sighted enough to not take advantage of the insanely generous private/company pension schemes available when they were working has only got themselves to blame as far as I'm concerned.

Edit - The first article I came across browsing the online papers today...

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/745674/Own-home-housing-market-retired-pensioner

Edited by nome

1 hour ago, nome said:

Personally speaking I could live very comfortably on £110 a week, although I admit I'm probably more frugal than your average person, I also suspect it's a lot more than I'll get when I reach State Pension age (if I actually manage to live long enough to reach a future State Pension age)

And any boomer who was too stupid and short sighted enough to not take advantage of the insanely generous private/company pension schemes available when they were working has only got themselves to blame as far as I'm concerned.

Well the least is minimum income guarantee  ( 150 ish ?) and would include full housing benefit, transport and council tax paid.

Probably top 5% globally. Poverty is relative.

Probably dream scenario for many working families too as regards disposable income.

Edited by crashmonitor

As long as all are safe I think would be something both would benefit from....There are many elderly, frail and lonely out there......;)

13 hours ago, reddog said:

To be fair generation boomer is only just coming up to retirement.

Some people seem to call anyone over 42 and under 90 a boomer.

I do take the point that young people are being screwed over........

Yes, 42-90 would be a very annoying definition.

I'm proudly GenX and do not wish to be associated with boomer scum.

House Prices were well past 4 times average earnings when I first bought in 2000, and I stil have a mortgage.

The only real benefit GenX had over millennials was in a little 5 year Window between 1998 and about 2003, when the prices were still insane, just note as insane as they got in 2007 before falling back somewhat.

Ambitious Millennials may actually have it slightly better in the workplace than GenX. The issue for GenX was that a lot of chances for promotion were blocked out by bed blocking boomers- this is finally starting to clear out, and it now feels easier to move up the corporate structure to me. GenX won't be blocking the millennials as there just aren't that many GenXers, what with it being a baby bust generating.

4 hours ago, nome said:

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/745674/Own-home-housing-market-retired-pensioner

I am assuming that £110 people doesn't need to cover rent and council tax.

But totally agree with the sentiment on boomer pensions.

My father who only really ever had middle level admin/management jobs has an income of about £1800 pcm from his pensions etc - he just needed to sign up to the schemes.

i suspect £1800 pcm clear, with no rent/mortgage would seem luxury to many millennials.

The one thing with my father does that does annoy me is he complains about his income as if he is seeking some additional contribution perhaps for a cruise or something.

He knows both I and my wife earn a lot more than he ever did, but then we have a monthly mortgage payment which was 24 times bigger than his ever was, plus we have all the expenses of a family and private schools etc.

I do wonder if he thinks boomer cruises are more important than educating the children.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

I wouldn't have problems doing this but my golden rule is I never get anything to people who live in a more expensive home than I can afford.

I never give anything to people in zones 1-3 of London

4 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I wouldn't have problems doing this but my golden rule is I never get anything to people who live in a more expensive home than I can afford.

I never give anything to people in zones 1-3 of London

Perhaps they would gladly swap their home for your youth and health......When you haven't got your health you have got nought. ;)

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes, 42-90 would be a very annoying definition.

According to the ONS, and if you arbitrarily take births >800k per year = The Boom, then the AGE OF THE BOOMER was 1957 - 1967. These are ~ 50 to 60 year olds who are between 5 and 16 years away from state pension age. So this article isn't about boomers, really. 

Births per year - 1944-2015