House Price Crash Forum

Tory Housing Minister says build smaller homes - merged

HOLA441
2 hours ago, GloomMonger said:

There really is no hope. Anything, anything but lower prices.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/housing-crisis-gavin-barwell-flats-smaller-pocket-a7344061.html#commentsDiv

Private housing developers should build homes with smaller rooms that do not meet existing minimum space standards so that young people can afford to buy them, the housing minister has said.

Gavin Barwell told the Conservative conference in Birmingham that he wanted the private sector to “innovate” to solve the housing crisis and that relaxing the rules on how cramped a flat can be might stop young people from being priced out.

Well I guess as governments and central banks have been 'innovating' on how to bubble up land prices, its only fair and in the public interest that the private sector should compensate by creating smaller homes.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The only short to mid term solution I can see is social housing. I understand that Osbourne refused this solution for political reasons - perhaps this is partly why they've been perpetually flailing around with nonsense.

HOLA445
8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

This is the end game really isn't it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282764/Hong-Kongs-human-battery-hens-Claustrophobic-images-slum-families-squeeze-lives-tiniest-apartments.html

Humans stored away like battery hens. Just enough room in your slavebox for a chair to sit on and a flat screen TV to stare at in between shifts at your zero hours contract job.

No, it's just return to norm. Prior to the First World War, people lived in very impoverished and overcrowded homes, better described as hovels. This continued for many until the 60s and shortly after began the downward spiral again. The relative equality seen in the late 60/70s is the anomaly.   

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, pig said:

The only short to mid term solution I can see is social housing. I understand that Osbourne refused this solution for political reasons - perhaps this is partly why they've been perpetually flailing around with nonsense.

The only reason we had social housing was due to promises made after the war 'homes fit for heros'. This was promised after ww1 but reneged on. After ww2 and the rise of communism around the world, tptb dear not renege  on this yet again so we saw mass social,housing. Remember that at the time the population had been much reduced, so no real pressing need, just a social promise.

why would they bother now?

HOLA447
HOLA448
4 minutes ago, pig said:

May was interviewed on R4 this morning this isn't going to happen. The rigged market solves everything dontyaknow.

Besides this fukwit has said building more council houses will create more inequality.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-council-housing-housebuilding-gavin-barwell-conference-live-2016-a7341946.html

More this cnt opens his mouth the moor i want to smack it shut.

HOLA449

This news has hit me pretty hard actually.

Not that I expected anything other than this (from tories in particular), but I just can't believe that someone can do this to another human being. 99% of people are going to end up being farmed into debt slavery, battery-hen style. 

He'll know the country is already littered with rabbit hutches he wouldn't be seen dead in, yet comes up with this puke. I'd like to ram his undershot jaw up into his tiny sociopathic brain.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

This is the end game really isn't it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282764/Hong-Kongs-human-battery-hens-Claustrophobic-images-slum-families-squeeze-lives-tiniest-apartments.html

Humans stored away like battery hens. Just enough room in your slavebox for a chair to sit on and a flat screen TV to stare at in between shifts at your zero hours contract job.

chicken-neo.jpg

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
32 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

Not that I expected anything other than this (from tories in particular), but I just can't believe that someone can do this to another human being. 99% of people are going to end up being farmed into debt slavery, battery-hen style. 

He'll know the country is already littered with rabbit hutches he wouldn't be seen dead in, yet comes up with this puke. I'd like to ram his undershot jaw up into his tiny sociopathic brain.

They don't seem to realise those priced out under 45s are going to swing the next election.

After 3.5 years of her following Gidiot  and Daves destruction a coalition of the left is a strong possiblity.

Edited by Crumbless

HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, Crumbless said:

They don't seem to realise those priced out 45s are going to swing the next election.

After 3.5 years of her following Gidiot  and Daves destruction a coalition of the left is a strong possiblity.

On the contrary, I think their plan is clear - more debt slaves in boxes at any cost to the economy.

"It may be an overpriced slave box but I'll be buggered if I want it to devalue.." will be the common meme.

I shudder to think what other schemes are coming next, but coming they are IMO.

Of course it will go bang eventually, but too late for me. I need to look further afield properly now.

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

On the contrary, I think their plan is clear - more debt slaves in boxes at any cost to the economy.

"It may be an overpriced slave box but I'll be buggered if I want it to devalue.." will be the common meme.

Of course it will go bang eventually, but too late for me. I need to look further afield properly now.

No one can buy these 250K slave boxes. But as you say i do think they're going to do much more to stop prices dropping.

Prior to 2007 i sold all my shares i knew something was coming, now even if there is a start of a crash its just printy print, lower interest rates to keep the party going.

HOLA4415
4 hours ago, GloomMonger said:

They really are the experts in continuing to pursue failed policies.  Basically they have no new ideas at all - just pretend that continuing the already failed policy is some amazing new revelation.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Scunnered said:

No, that's not him.  His head's a much stranger shape than that.  Also, he's only about 12.

Gavin-Barwell-532_1515484a.jpg

I realise that it's not a reasonable position to take, but I can't take anything he says seriously because of how weird he looks. Wiki says he's a Cambridge Natsci. That explains why he looks so weird, but would suggest that he's not as thick as he's currently making out. (I realise that appearing congenitally thick is the best way to get the Tory housing job, so it may be a political ambition thing.)

Also, he's 45 years old next January...

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, Scunnered said:

No, that's not him.  His head's a much stranger shape than that.  Also, he's only about 12.

Gavin-Barwell-532_1515484a.jpg

Dude needs to shave his head, grow a beard, and hit the gym, so he doesn't look quite so much like Pob:

hqdefault.jpg

HOLA4418
51 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

It is actually quite terrifying that we're basically thought of as no better than livestock by the political classes. They will f*ck us as hard as we let them.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
21 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

I think that when the Tories looked at Build to Rent in 2010 (it came to nothing), investors basically said, "The yields are shit, do one" (I'm paraphrasing, obvs).

Clearly if you can build them tall and small, that is going to seriously help the yields. Also I guess that the yields on everything else have gone to shit in the interim. We might actually see a material addition to supply from Build to Rent. Whilst I believe that a change in sentiment and credit conditions would weigh far more heavily on prices, a bit extra supply never hurts. 

Edited by Bland Unsight

HOLA4421
7 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It is actually quite terrifying that we're basically thought of as no better than livestock by the political classes. They will f*ck us as hard as we let them.

Ms May was on R4 this morning an the final question was what makes you angry, she said in a scripted tone "injustice".

Fckn scum know exactly whats happening but they couldn't care less. Another Brighton would be Karma for this vile lot.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Are we really surprised by any of this? It was always the Tory/bankster plan! The relentless privatisation and subdivision of UK housing stock, with uncontrolled mass immigration providing a biddable and uncomplaining clientele for the HMO aspirations of 20 million absentee Chinese landlords.

Osborne's Plan A, nothing more or less. Somewhat hindered by Brexit (the sheer ingratitude of those plebians!) but manifestly not derailed.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425