House Price Crash Forum

White Transit Dog Knapping

spyguy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

There was a feature on this a couple of weeks ago on local radio. There were a fair number locally and a lot suspected where a dog has just disappeared.

The bloke grabs a dog worth several hundred pounds and sells it on elsewhere. Whilst they're all microchipped these are not routinely read so it's unlikely to be picked up.

There aren't many things worth several hundred pounds that are left outside in gardens so the dogs attract thieves.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Stealing to sell on was the thrust of the piece.

I have heard a few emotive claims that they're stealing to use for training fights for dogs but whilst that's headline-grabbing and may have happened I doubt it's common.

I only know from that piece and a few other snippets on the news. I don't have a dog and nobody I know with a dog has had theirs stolen or said about knowing somebody who has, or mentioned being worried about it happening.

It clearly happens in real life and not just within the fevered imaginations of Facebook sharers but it's not that widespread in my direct experience.

HOLA446
HOLA447

The claim that pikeys are knicking them for dog baiting has some credibility.

Apart from todays post looks like a pug. FFS pug fighting???

That happens with retired racing greyhounds. The other week a friend's teenaged daughter was accosted while walking their greyhound. Two men in a car asking questions about its racing days. She immediately went straight home. On reflection though, there could have been an ulterior motive.

HOLA448

There's a fair quantity of money around breeding and selling certain types of dogs -- http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/search/?type_id=3&breed_id=137

So some desperados may steal to breed or sell on. It's a bit like house prices in that some buyers will pay as much as they can possibly afford for fashionable types of dogs that are pushed as 'special' and 'rare' (more often poorly bred freaks riddled with behavioural and physical problems).

Hunting dogs, i.e. lurchers and terriers, are a bit different. Running dogs in particular have always attracted, alongside many excellent and very dedicated dog owners, a number of dreamers. Years ago, it was possible to make additional income from lurcher caught fox pelts (undamaged by bullet / shot), and edible game - rabbit, hare and deer, this hasn't been the case for a long time, but the idea might still attract those with dreams of being some sort of rural rebel making a living taking their lordship's game. Another angle is coursing matches - making a competition of hare hunting. Although many are only involved for the love of the dogs, hares and hunting, large bets are sometimes made on the outcome of the match. This can attract a small minority looking for a way to make a quick buck, who have no qualms about stealing other peoples' beloved dogs (a surprising amount of time, effort, care and attention that goes into training and working these dogs).

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Plenty of stories around the pheasant shooty, gamekeepery types i play cricket with, that they are often stolen to use as the warm up act for dog fights.

Absolutely disgusting.

You're around Gilinglham(Dorset).

Thats pikey central esp. as the steam fair rolls up.

HOLA4411

There's a fair quantity of money around breeding and selling certain types of dogs -- http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/search/?type_id=3&breed_id=137

Hunting dogs, i.e. lurchers and terriers, are a bit different. Running dogs in particular have always attracted, alongside many excellent and very dedicated dog owners, a number of dreamers. Years ago, it was possible to make additional income from lurcher caught fox pelts (undamaged by bullet / shot), and edible game - rabbit, hare and deer, this hasn't been the case for a long time, but the idea might still attract those with dreams of being some sort of rural rebel making a living taking their lordship's game. Another angle is coursing matches - making a competition of hare hunting. Although many are only involved for the love of the dogs, hares and hunting, large bets are sometimes made on the outcome of the match. This can attract a small minority looking for a way to make a quick buck, who have no qualms about stealing other peoples' beloved dogs (a surprising amount of time, effort, care and attention that goes into training and working these dogs).

Bloke I used to work with about 5 years ago told me his dad used to make money that way.

Can't really believe there is much / any money in it now. Though I can imagine a few travelers are into it 'to keep the old traditions alive'

I'm actually surprised at how much a fairly mainstream dog costs (admittedly I am surprised at how much almost everything costs). A friend payed something like £900 for a family Labrador.

HOLA4412

Bloke I used to work with about 5 years ago told me his dad used to make money that way.

Can't really believe there is much / any money in it now. Though I can imagine a few travelers are into it 'to keep the old traditions alive'

I'm actually surprised at how much a fairly mainstream dog costs.

Go to a pet shop and see how much a tortoise costs.

I remember buying them for £1 in the early 80s.

£400+ these days.

Hopefully no-one in a transit is reading this ...

HOLA4413

Go to a pet shop and see how much a tortoise costs.

I remember buying them for £1 in the early 80s.

£400+ these days.

Hopefully no-one in a transit is reading this ...

I miss having a tortoise! the fun every spring when you had to find out if it survived the winter or was just a rotting ball of meat...

HOLA4414

The thing I find odd is that anyone wants to buy a fully grown dog.

I would have thought even valuable pedigrees aren't worth much down the pub by the time they're a couple of years old. Surely the demand is for puppies or very young dogs?

HOLA4415

The claim that pikeys are knicking them for dog baiting has some credibility.

Apart from todays post looks like a pug. FFS pug fighting???

They don;t use them to fight, but to blood the other fighting dog

They duct tape the jaws of the stolen dog and basically 'feed' the poor thing alive to their own fighting dog to make sure it has what it takes to chew another fighting dog when it counts

it's horrific

HOLA4416

Another day, another FB repost about dog knapping.

Normal- transit, chav took dog from garden.

Im not a dog owner. Dont like them.

Does this happen? Or is it just morons reposting fake FB posts.

Yes it happens sister had her dog nicked

Afganhounds were the top of the list for our traveler friends

French bulldogs are going for over £3k

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

What? Puppies are free! :blink:

You would have thought with all the dogs in rescue homes pining for new owners dogs would be free too. But no people must have pedigree and pay hundreds.

I may very well concede to my desire to have a cat next year, but the only paying I will be doing will be a donation to the cats' rescue home.

HOLA4419

Still plenty of people from all walks of life working lurchers and terriers, although strongest amongst former working class mining and industrial areas. I don't think many are kidding themselves there is a living to be made from their dogs, other than as part of a pest control business (rabbit control) - this relationship between humans and dogs has been around a long time and still flows strong, however distasteful the modern world finds it. Of course, there is now the hunting with dogs act (erroneously known as the 'fox hunting ban') - enacted by unconstitutional use of the parliament act as part of a new labour political deal with the left wing aimed to hit at 'posh tories' who like dressing up and riding horses. This badly written legislation criminalised owners of (all) dogs that engage in the perfectly natural behaviour of hunting, ironically has proven to hit working class people that the left wing claim to represent far harder than any aristocrats. The act gave the police very wide ranging stop and search powers and penalties are harsh, including destruction of dogs and vehicles, time inside and hefty fines.

Treat stories in the media about dogs with a pinch of salt - it's a really emotive subject and there is a lot of exaggeration to suit a variety of agendas. Dogs really can bring out the best and worst in people !

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

You're around Gilinglham(Dorset).

Thats pikey central esp. as the steam fair rolls up.

Whole of the Cranborne Chase is Pikey Central.

Its also multi millionaire banker suck up central too.

Light and shade.

Ferndown and Horton Heath are the actual Pikey/Poacher hotspots. They tend NOT to shit on their own doorstep.

But they WILL string your spaniel up on your back door if you cross them. So i have heard.

Despite all that, nth Dorset still a better place to live than about 99% of the country, and i'm speaking as someone who gets very little out of being here.

Apart from Cricket in the "summer".

Most people play "lets pretend we drink with Guy Whatisname" who was married to Madonna.

PS I like the way you put "Dorset" in brackets. Did you ever work for British Rail?? :D

HOLA4422

They don;t use them to fight, but to blood the other fighting dog

They duct tape the jaws of the stolen dog and basically 'feed' the poor thing alive to their own fighting dog to make sure it has what it takes to chew another fighting dog when it counts

it's horrific

Yup there are adult human beings in this world that think this is acceptable.

I would nail them to the ******ing wall, skin flap, by skin flap.

Bastards.

HOLA4423

Whole of the Cranborne Chase is Pikey Central.

Its also multi millionaire banker suck up central too.

Light and shade.

Ferndown and Horton Heath are the actual Pikey/Poacher hotspots. They tend NOT to shit on their own doorstep.

But they WILL string your spaniel up on your back door if you cross them. So i have heard.

Despite all that, nth Dorset still a better place to live than about 99% of the country, and i'm speaking as someone who gets very little out of being here.

Apart from Cricket in the "summer".

Most people play "lets pretend we drink with Guy Whatisname" who was married to Madonna.

PS I like the way you put "Dorset" in brackets. Did you ever work for British Rail?? :D

No. I did go to other Gillingham once.

HOLA4424

Treat stories in the media about dogs with a pinch of salt - it's a really emotive subject and there is a lot of exaggeration to suit a variety of agendas. Dogs really can bring out the best and worst in people !

Sounds about right..

HOLA4425

What amazes me is these people buying pugs and leaving them in the garden. I've got a pug and they cannot stand being left alone if they know you're about. Sloppy owners.

Incidentally can anyone recommend a breed of dog to pair with a pug. I've been looking for a rescue for some time. Something that doesn't attract gypos a big plus.

Archived