House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
38 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Aren't people allowed to change their mind?

Works both ways Dave B. A quote from another forum (not mine):

"people aren't allowed to change their mind, regardless of any new evidence".

HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, thehowler said:

Oh, how they come and go.

It takes a rare kind of mettle to hold the course here.

I am sorry he went, as his heart is probably in the right place. But this syndrome of trusting the nationalist's empty shout gets my goat. I would have thought that someone called Pitchfork would uphold the rights of the working man.

HOLA446
HOLA447

A point I've never quite seen clarified is while EEA membership would allow free movement of labour, it wouldn't carry common citizenship. So would someone from an EEA country working in the UK be entitled to Housing Benefit & Tax Credits etc. under EEA rules?

I say this as someone who works with a lot of EU citizens who pay tax and claim no benefits in this country, it's more an academic interest than a sign that I've started reading the Daily Mail.

HOLA448
2 minutes ago, Tulip_mania said:

A point I've never quite seen clarified is while EEA membership would allow free movement of labour, it wouldn't carry common citizenship. So would someone from an EEA country working in the UK be entitled to Housing Benefit & Tax Credits etc. under EEA rules?

I say this as someone who works with a lot of EU citizens who pay tax and claim no benefits in this country, it's more an academic interest than a sign that I've started reading the Daily Mail.

I've just found a couple of links that may discuss this Tulip - they are on my to-read list:

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86896

https://moneyweek.com/britain-soft-brexit-eea-efta-carl-baudenbacher-interview/

HOLA449
2 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Forget the chart - what I said was there is huge appetite for EU reform.

I don’t have huge prejudices - just recognise the EU is the incapable of reform.

In all those countries mentioned. They want reform.

Power to the people.

?

I think this is a good point. Much as I love the concept of the EU - this is one of its major failings right now. It's an Achilles Heel for them. Their intentions are a lot more worthy than our lot, but the ivory tower syndrome is dangerous for any group of leaders. There is still the disconnect.

I think there ought to be a new method beyond having people geographically centralised in power. Whenever you watch a sci-fi movie they have holograms, in earlier group meetings on screen, like a James Bond villain get together - there were sometimes multi-screens. Surely representatives could get into the remote-working swing?

HOLA4410

Britain is dangerously close to a Brexit deal that is worse than staying or leaving the EU

they have found what they see as an even better option. What could be better than a humiliated Britain begging to reverse its decision? Why, a humiliated Britain that remains in the EU without votes or a veto. Telegraph

I think it is win - win situation. Brexit will be delivered and the EU will be pleased as well.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just now, thecrashingisles said:

It's not me placing limits on what people are allowed to think.  You're the one who things the Euro can be ruled out forever based on your apparent ability to read the minds of the people in the future.

No indeed, but the EU aren't making it very enticing are they?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
46 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Which reform specifically?

You could write a book answering that.

In general the EU is exceptionally slow to respond in a crisis. I think it is due to it not being one thing or another. It’s not a collection of sovereign independent states, or a single sovereign state of territories. As a consequence crisis such as Greece, Migrants, and now trade wars, the EU looks to be caught trousers down not really knowing what to do. Now I completely agree with Verhofstad that what is needed is more integration, the USofE. I think I’ve been pretty clear that for me that is unacceptable. It worked better when it was just the EEC, I would be happy with pre Lisbon.

HOLA4415
21 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

....., the EU looks to be caught trousers down not really knowing what to do. .

You got any evidence of that?

21 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

. Now I completely agree with Verhofstad that what is needed is more integration, the USofE. I think I’ve been pretty clear that for me that is unacceptable.

Isn't that a contradiction?

However I do agree with GV on many points.^_^

HOLA4416
11 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

You got any evidence of that?

Isn't that a contradiction?

However I do agree with GV on many points.^_^

Just my sofa observations. ? I think DJT is playing a blinder!

Not really a contradiction; the EU either folds back to Pre Lisbon (I’d like that), or it falls forward into proper fiscal and political union (common tax, finance minister, ultimately USofE).

I don’t want to be part of the USofE, and the current indecisive situation is failing the people of Europe.

For that reason, 

CRk2vN.gif

HOLA4417

Maybot slaps down Mekom

Theresa May has refused to roll back her controversial “hostile environment” crackdown following the Windrush scandal, despite her own home secretary’s call for change.

Indy.

#BREAKFASTMEANSBREAKFAST

[Fly half replaced at half time due to some real poor can kicking]

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

?Not really a contradiction;

49 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Now I completely agree with Verhofstad that what is needed is more integration, the USofE. I think I’ve been pretty clear that for me that is unacceptable.

Entirely a contradiction.

End of term report :                             should sort out opinions in his head.

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, ZeroSumGame said:

End of term report :                             should sort out opinions in his head.

You seem to find those two points a contradiction. ?

What is ultimately best for the EU (more integration) and what I personally want (less integration) are separate things.

Slangiva!?

HOLA4420
3 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

You seem to find those two points a contradiction. ?

What is ultimately best for the EU (more integration) and what I personally want (less integration) are separate things.

Slangiva!?

OK.  Let's not argue semantics then.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Anyway....

You describe yourself as a Labour supporter, but also as a theoretical supporter of Scottish Independence. How do you square that given that Labour are the the red @rse of the Union party?

Well off topic I know...

HOLA4423
1 minute ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Aye.

What would you like to see happen with the EU?

Not a lot really. As I'll be moving there soon as you guys get your 'FREEDOM'. I'm happy with the European status quo.

HOLA4424
4 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Anyway....

You describe yourself as a Labour supporter, but also as a theoretical supporter of Scottish Independence. How do you square that given that Labour are the the red @rse of the Union party?

Well off topic I know...

I guess I don’t neatly fit in a box with a meaningless little label.

HOLA4425