House Price Crash Forum

Things Of Future Passed

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

How many of these are there? The next big thing, the now, then it was mostly abandoned.

I don't mean things like Jet Cars that were predicted but never actually happened.

Digital watches come to mind. They were cool, they were expensive, they were great. Everybody wanted one and everybody got one.

Then after a few years people drifted back to analogue watches as just being, well, better.

The other I remember is a descriptive passage in a Bond book ?The Spy Who Loved Me (which shared nothing with the film but the title) and Fleming, as a total snob, listed out all the gentleman's posh accoutrements that Bond had and was packing into his case for the trip. Posh tailoring, gold cufflinks etc. etc. and two pairs of white nylon socks! Then clearly the expensive height of cool but now even rejected by the chavviest of chavs as being too horrible and cheap.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Here's the Bond nylon quotes. It's white nylon shirts, mea culpa. And the second passage is trying to blend in as a peasant in Japan rather than to appear posh.

While on a mission his wardrobe may change substantially such as when in New York for Live And Let Die when a FBI tailor furnishes him with a pair of lightweight single-breasted worsted suits, white nylon shirts, and half a dozen “unusually patterned” foulard ties and “dark socks with fancy clocks”; the outfit is completed with a camel-hair overcoat and plain grey snap-brim Fedora. And we read in Doctor No that “Bond fitted himself out with cheap black canvas jeans and a dark blue shirt and rope-soled shoes” prior to sailing to Crab Key with Quarrel.

But it is only in You Only Live Twice that Bond’s appearance changes radically. Disguised as a Japanese miner, Bond is bathed in walnut stain to darken his skin and his eyebrows shaved to give an impression of slanting eyes. He dresses in a white long-sleeved cotton shirt with a cheap black knitted silk tie held in place by a gold pin, black off-the-shelf trousers with a cheap black plastic belt and dark blue nylon socks with black plastic sandals; a Japan Air Lines bag in which he carries cheap toiletries completed the picture.

http://www.thejamesbonddossier.com/james-bond-appearance.htm

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Digital watched could not be more 'in' than they are today.

Oh, I am so not "street". I've missed that one coming back.

The only similar ones I've seen are the Fitbit / Garmin wrist bands which have a clock on tehm rather than being digital watches.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Digital watched could not be more 'in' than they are today.

Do you mean being digitally watched? CCTV is everywhere!

I would say that television seems to have had its day. The exponential growth of channels and alternative media means that there are few shared events as before.

CD's too. Its either downloaded or vinyl now isn't it?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Nah 'retro' casios are everywhere.

I quite liked them originally. Quite annoying they are now the 'thing'.

You're kidding?!

I'm wearing one of these as I type:

240px-Casio_F-91W_digital_watch.jpg

HOLA4420

Microwave cooking. I remember buying some special browning dish to make bacon crispy in the microwave.

Just frying it was easier... but it had to be done in the microwave as £200 was spent on this new sexy way to cook.

HOLA4421

You're kidding?!

I'm wearing one of these as I type:

240px-Casio_F-91W_digital_watch.jpg

There's a beauty in that!. It does the job.

HOLA4422

Microwave cooking. I remember buying some special browning dish to make bacon crispy in the microwave.

Just frying it was easier... but it had to be done in the microwave as £200 was spent on this new sexy way to cook.

Best one yet. We don't even have a microwave. I can't think of anything they'd be really useful for.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived