House Price Crash Forum

Where Would You Escape To?

southmartin

HOLA441

I mean in the event of a proper economic collapse?? (who knows, this might be useful information soon!)

I'm thinking you'd want to be in a country/region that had relatively low population density (definitely not a city) so in a more rural area. And ideally a place where you'd not freeze to death in winter... I'd also steer well clear of anywhere in Europe as that's a lost cause and the migration crisis is not going to be getting any better.

I thought about the US, but although they have the space (and the reserve currency) there's no telling how 'postal' the gun-toting rednecks might go... Though perhaps individual states like Texas might fare better than California.. of course at least you have the option of getting 'tooled up' so you're on equal footing with those who'd want to kill you. Canada is better of course (though colder in winter) but is already suffering from the cost of imports due to weak currency and the fall in oil.

Australia and NZ would be pretty good options (though I hate spiders) so that might just be NZ - I hear NZ is quite self-sufficient in natural resources

Then of course you have the asian block... I don't know enough about it - but i'd imagine population density is far too high and you'd not be wanting to compete for resources with a billion others

Russia - too cold, too reliant on oil & gas exports, though at least islamic fundamentalism isn't going to be an issue with Vlad in charge

South America? Seems a lot of it is already collapsing - Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina (again) to name three. Mexica has nice places, but a murder rate ten times as bad as the USA...

Africa? All nuts - even the nicest bits of South Africa are only a signature away from turning into Zimbabwe

Where to go and sit it all out for a few years?? It's a tough one...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Southern Ireland, low population density and no passport needed from mainland uk.

Get a ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare.

(take sea sick pills it's ROUGH)

If the Severn crossing is inacessible go north to Holyhead - Dunlairey

Pop back across to use the NHS too!

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Somewhere where there are lots of hipsters to feed on. Maybe Brighton?

I can't imaging how poncy Brighton is now. I was a student there, and lived on there for a few years. :huh:

HOLA4411

At one point I was thinking of moving to Iceland, remote and not a lot of people seem to want to live there...ideal!

You might as well move to Faroe (or Falklands, etc). Same problem for both though - even though they are both fiercely independent, they both require external support to make life bearable (except if you really like herring).

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I suppose if you already live in a festering shïtehole then the collapse of society won't make much difference.

I always like it where I am.

HOLA4414

That's similar to my putting my dust caps on the floor when I pump up my tyres; because already being on the floor they have nowhere to fall.

Precisely. If I can get a desk-job in Peterlee, then the sky's the limit in the 'Boro...!

;)

XYY

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Costa Rica

Great weather, reasonably cheap, but not life is worthless cheap. Excellent medical.

No standing army, which shows a progressive country, but if it is kicking off everywhere else, perhaps you do want an army to keep the bad guys under control

It's where I plan on trying life once my commitments in the UK are up

Speaking Spanish (which I do) will probably make adapting to the place easier (I hope)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Isle Of Wight. Because I really enjoyed the 1970s.

Better make sure you will enjoy the 1950s. :blink:

HOLA4420

There's enough people I know with the same mindset to not need to go anywhere. But if forced, maybe the Philippines as there are plenty of friendly people there and know a few ladies who would shelter me.

HOLA4421

if you really believe it would go mad max so quickly, bear in mind 99% of the population are idiots and unprepared. Thus theyd kill each other off within a few months or starve, leaving the country afterwards ripe for the picking.

id just build a secret lair underground and reappear a few months later. Stockpile a few months food and drink and then re-emerge.

HOLA4422

Stockpile a few months food and drink and then re-emerge.

The food part is easy enough Saddy.

But finding somewhere big enough, and secret enough, to stash 3 month's worth of my Brown Ale and whisky requirements is a totally different proposition altogether mate...

;)

XYY

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Parts of Asia are massively overcrowded, others extremely low population density e.g. Borneo. I might go there, but proximity to China limits the appeal (although good luck to them trying to subdue some of the locals. The Iban were happy to head hunt the Japanese during WWII...).

Personally, I'll probably stay put. Rural Wales is about as good as it gets if things go bad - and they are unlikely to go that bad overnight. We aren't talking the zombie apocalypse here - but likely a slow emergency i.e. slow introduction of rationing, higher taxes, less work, fewer personal freedoms, increased flow of refugees. It'll likely feel like living through the second world war here - but without an obvious enemy. A few weeks food possibly no bad thing as transition from just-in-time to something more sporadic food economy might cause some short term pain.

It might actually be a good thing as by some reports, events like WWII and even 9/11 actually improved people's mental health as they found they had a shared purpose/enemy.

HOLA4425

Archived