House Price Crash Forum

Top Tory's Heartless Plan To Put Pensioners To Work Picking Fruit

HOLA441

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-torys-heartless-plan-put-7551536

Owen Paterson stunned even hard nosed Tories with his ­heartless plan to make pensioners do gruelling crop picking on the cheap, David Laws revealed.

The Environment Secretary proposed his barmy idea to stunned Cabinet colleagues as a way of cutting eastern European immigration .

Mr Paterson suggested exploiting the elderly by plucking them out of retirement to pick crops for less than the minimum wage.

He told a Cabinet meeting he planned to scrap a scheme that allowed EU migrants to come to the UK to do ­unpopular jobs in the fields.

Edited by workingpoor

HOLA442

Some how those raspberry's will not taste the same now and it's not just because the old man doesn't wash his hands, ever. I doubt they could pick'em without squashing them + forget ladders and if they get on the ground they are unlikely to make it back up. I suppose it depends upon their definition of retired and willingness to do something for their queen and country!

HOLA443
HOLA444

I did this as a teenager during the school holidays with my parents several years running. It was agony at the age of 13/14/15 but my brother and I could keep going longer than my parents who were maybe in their early 40's in that era (this was of course to pay for an actual holiday somewhere cheap).

I guess less than 10% of people over the age of 65 could do this work at a level good enough for a commercial enterprise.

But then again this is the heart of Tory logic and their dogma will override reality and the laws of nature/physics/chemistry and human development, hey and even the god whom they believe in.

Common sense says the retirement age should be lowered to make way for younger people and a proper pension paid all round, means tested for other income and assets, Immigration cut somewhat, mass housing should be built (and houses can be built en-mass for under 80k each, land can be obtained for very cheap by govt), bankers should be in jail and the commercial banks have their nuts cut off by creating a peoples bank with no gambling instincts etc etc however this does not fit hatred of the people element of the Tory psyche.

We also need to stop Tory wifes accessing housing schemes for their own cynical, greedy purposes.

HOLA445

Some how those raspberry's will not taste the same now and it's not just because the old man doesn't wash his hands, ever. I doubt they could pick'em without squashing them + forget ladders and if they get on the ground they are unlikely to make it back up. I suppose it depends upon their definition of retired and willingness to do something for their queen and country!

I can assure you that EE gypsies of whoever does this now never wash their hands after taking a crap, ever. The Brits of a by gone era washed their hands far more than any other race on earth. Back in the 70's a survey was done to measure who used the most/least soap and tooth paste in Europe, UK came top by a big margin. However geriatrics do need supervising.

HOLA446

I can assure you that EE gypsies of whoever does this now never wash their hands after taking a crap, ever. The Brits of a by gone era washed their hands far more than any other race on earth. Back in the 70's a survey was done to measure who used the most/least soap and tooth paste in Europe, UK came top by a big margin. However geriatrics do need supervising.

:unsure:

HOLA447

One thing is for certain, eventually things will come to pass and the majority will realise that their retirement has been stolen. When that happens, politics will be a completely different ball game and I'm sure many of todays politicians will be reitring on their as ex-pats for their own safety.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Why is it that the same people who complian of older people stereotyping all young people as being " young and lazy etc" seem to think that it is ok to sterotype all older people as "having easy 9-5 jobs ...being funded by others"?

Some younger people are lazy and want something for nothing, some older people did have easy 9-5 jobs that doesn't mean they all are.

HOLA4411

Why is it that the same people who complian of older people stereotyping all young people as being " young and lazy etc" seem to think that it is ok to sterotype all older people as "having easy 9-5 jobs ...being funded by others"?

Some younger people are lazy and want something for nothing, some older people did have easy 9-5 jobs that doesn't mean they all are.

If that's aimed at me, I very clearly said some. Not all. So thats null and void.

There are bone idle in every generation. But there are some boomers blaming young people these days for not being able to afford a house 12 times income or having spells of unemployment. It probably isn't malicious, just out of touch people from when jobs were for life and much easier and houses more affordable.

HOLA4412

It sounds like it has all the usual potential for a real money spinner (not for the fruit pickers themselves of course).

A new batch of people already registered and traceable within the system for taxation purposes (NI number registered) requiring special training for picking fruit along with all the essential certificates needed plus opportunities for job mortgages/tuition fees. Then spin offs for manufacturing special "Official Fruit Picker" outfits.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4413

typical mirror :blink:

this is one of those 'allegedly said' in a book written by a Libdem

Former Liberal ­Democrat Mr Laws, who revealed the astonishing proposals in a new book, wrote: “Cabinet colleagues, even the more right-wing Tories, listened in stunned silence.” And one Whitehall official “tried, unsuccessfully, to stifle a laugh”

and it was 2013 not 2016

Edited by olliegog

HOLA4414

So if it was 2013 it'll have progressed well beyond just the idea stage? They might even have the Official Fruit Picker uniforms already in store. Taking a leaf from the coffee shops and the Barista uniforms they'll have put a foreign name to it - something like Seleziona or something similar (patented).

Edited by billybong

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

People like Owen Patterson need to be exposed for their views as they are the sort of people who will be influencing government policy if the UK leaves the EU.

if the UK stays in as well. They're all over the place these days.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Distraction reporting by the MSM.

The tories are going to take more and spend more.

Tax TAKE and Spent...it's the public sector way.

Agreed. Osborne and his Treasury cronies have gone out of their way to paint the budget as a bleak, belt-tightening affair but whenever he's used the word 'austerity' in the past it's been a prelude to an unprecedented bout of spending and borrowing. I expect nothing less this time around.

HOLA4422

I expect nothing less this time around.

Why would he stop...it's "worked" so far.

His, his family and his colleagues, property portfolios have gained them massive tax free sums since he introduced HTB/FLS etc.

He'll not stop until he is forced to.

All Osborne is, IMHO, a Posh Gordon Brown.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Import the food. Turn our land over to forests and lakes that we can all access i.e. turn it over to leisure for ordinary people rather than subsidising a bleak industrial agricultural landscape.

Excellent idea. Not least because a dependence on imported supply has served us so well with energy.

HOLA4425

typical mirror :blink:

this is one of those 'allegedly said' in a book written by a Libdem

Former Liberal ­Democrat Mr Laws, who revealed the astonishing proposals in a new book, wrote: “Cabinet colleagues, even the more right-wing Tories, listened in stunned silence.” And one Whitehall official “tried, unsuccessfully, to stifle a laugh”

and it was 2013 not 2016

Also the revelation may have been timed help drown out the disclosure that Mr Laws was busying himself with stealing our money with his expenses/rent scam.