House Price Crash Forum

Sunday Trading Coverage

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Is all the coverage as lazy as my local radio? They are running it as the original entirely closed / partly open debate rather than what is actually is: partly open / more open.

It sounds like they've recorded it from twenty years ago and just replaying it.

So:

Should retail staff have to work Sundays? A: They already do.

Should supermarkets be open on a Sunday? A: They already are.

I've no idea what the actual proposal was; it's not even been mentioned.

I'm fine with the existing trading laws and I get the impression that most people are also. So there's not much of a debate there I suppose.

HOLA442

It only applies to large retailers over a certain sq ft

anyway.

Most co-op / tesco express etc the type you find built on old pub sites are open 8am-11pm on sundays already.

My local tesco megastore has a neat trick it closes at 4pm on a sunday only to reopen at 00:01 as it is now Monday.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Reporting on LBC was alright.

Can't believe there hasn't been more uproar over the SNP.

I miss living in scotland and not having to worry if I got back late on a sunday as the food shops would still be open.

It's just going to shift more buisness to online.

I think that's why the government were complaining of rank hypocrisy on the part of the SNP for wading in on a debate that really doesn't concern them.

HOLA446

I think that's why the government were complaining of rank hypocrisy on the part of the SNP for wading in on a debate that really doesn't concern them.

There's no really about it - purely English law.

Not sure what the big hoohaa is about.

Small 8tillate places are still open.

Pointless trying for other places to get more revenue by increasing SUnday opening hours - retail has changed so much they are flogging dead horse.

HOLA447

It's even woorse than that its not letting them have a law that scotland already has!

They've been talking about changing the sunday hours since the 90s, i just wish they would do it.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I have to admit, I was fairly amused when I read about the SNP voting agin it... that'll teach Cameron to come up here, dipping his oar into the referendum.... Be careful what you wish for tory boy!

Of course, pure mischief by the SNP, but they have every right to vote on the legislation :D

HOLA4411

Of course, pure mischief by the SNP, but they have every right to vote on the legislation :D

Perhaps that's something that should be revisited.

If the SNP won't honour their gentleman's agreement to abstain from English lawmaking, perhaps the power should be dissolved.

HOLA4412

I quite like shops being open on Sunday, especially DIY shops and offies! Once everything was shut, like Germany.

HOLA4413

Perhaps that's something that should be revisited.

If the SNP won't honour their gentleman's agreement to abstain from English lawmaking, perhaps the power should be dissolved.

Hmm, one would have thought that the correct point to introduce that type of legislation would have been 1918, with the election of Robert Barton?

It would be an interesting precedent though, perhaps the tories could 'dissolve' labour MP's rights to vote for some trumped up reason?

By the way, don't think EVEL will stop Scottish MP's from voting on England/Welsh only legislation, it won't. There's an interesting read here.

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.com/2016/01/evel-is-milquetoast.html

As I alluded to in my earlier post, politicians should be careful what they wish for....

HOLA4414

I quite like shops being open on Sunday, especially DIY shops and offies! Once everything was shut, like Germany.

There is nothing better than nipping into your local Asda store at 3am on a Sunday morning to pick up a packet of bacon and half a dozen rolls..... Pi$hed of course :lol:

HOLA4415

There is nothing better than nipping into your local Asda store at 3am on a Sunday morning to pick up a packet of bacon and half a dozen rolls..... Pi$hed of course :lol:

Nobody in a shop seems to be in their right mind at that particular time.

HOLA4416

I rather miss some of the obscure old rules such as being able to buy Playboy on Sunday but not the Bible.

With regard to the SNP Cameron should just add some tweaks to the current trading laws in England to annoy Scots such as not allowing them to buy alcohol on the Sabbath south of the border. He would probably get his own rebels onside for that sort of measure and be able to push it through Parliament.

HOLA4417

I did wonder why the SNP got involved in this when Scotland already has more liberal Sunday trading than the rest of the UK. It appears that they did it to stop the conditions of Scottish Sunday workers being weakened (or at least that's what they say).

SNP deputy leader and economy spokesman Stewart Hosie said the party will oppose the government even though extended Sunday trading has been allowed in Scotland for some time.

Mr Hosie said: We have had Sunday Trading in Scotland for some time and the SNP has never been opposed to it, however our concerns here are rooted in the knock-on impact to Scottish workers who would be at risk of pay cuts many of whom are already suffering from George Osbornes cuts to tax credits and other in work support.

SNP MPs have considered all sides in this debate and our decision has been made so workers in Scotland are protected.

The SNP welcomed the additional employee protections brought forward by the UK government which amends the Employment Rights Act to protect any worker from being forced into working on a Sunday however they do not go far enough.

The party had come under intense pressure from Labour and the shop workers union, Usdaw, not to allow ministers to get their way.

[more...]

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-to-oppose-changes-to-sunday-trading-in-england-1-4053917

Hmmmm.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Let's all go shopping.....we need to shop all hours of the day and night, the longer the shops are open the more we will spend......I think teachers and doctors and bankers and politicians should work every Sunday so that they get to see their husbands, wives, partners and children like ships passing in the night, for the sake of the economy.....the economy is now more important than the people.

HOLA4420

Let's all go shopping.....we need to shop all hours of the day and night, the longer the shops are open the more we will spend......I think teachers and doctors and bankers and politicians should work every Sunday so that they get to see their husbands, wives, partners and children like ships passing in the night, for the sake of the economy.....the economy is now more important than the people.

Unfortunately I do need to shop, as I need trousers for work. It is rather a traditional company that I work for. I shall buy trousers on line and have them delivered. :unsure:

HOLA4421

Unfortunately I do need to shop, as I need trousers for work. It is rather a traditional company that I work for. I shall buy trousers on line and have them delivered. :unsure:

Well in Spain and Italy the shops remain closed on Sunday....nobody that I can see walks around without trousers....all the families are out eating and drinking with their families on a Sunday.....quality family time for those that can....the more that can the better and more rounded, whole and stable a society will be........still the health and well being of society is way down the order of priorities here....money and the making of it comes top, very short sighted.imo

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I agree with your basic sentiment winkie but you are assuming that the shopping in question is the "shopping as a hobby" and yes we all know somebody who does that.

I spent many years commuting in London, unable because of supermarket hours to go shopping during the week after getting home with Saturdays taken up by my one big hobby then, watching football and traveling to get to it.

So that left the one day I could go shopping for food as Sunday. It wasn't like I was shopping six days a week and wanted a seventh so I could shop even more.

HOLA4424

I agree with your basic sentiment winkie but you are assuming that the shopping in question is the "shopping as a hobby" and yes we all know somebody who does that.

I spent many years commuting in London, unable because of supermarket hours to go shopping during the week after getting home with Saturdays taken up by my one big hobby then, watching football and traveling to get to it.

So that left the one day I could go shopping for food as Sunday. It wasn't like I was shopping six days a week and wanted a seventh so I could shop even more.

Sorry but people can find the time to do anything they want to if they want to....fitting shopping into six days in one week can be done if there is a will, depends what your priorities are....there are 24 hour opening supermarkets and yes I have been shopping whilst the night workers have been filling the shelves, there are shops that will deliver at set time slots into late evenings......either you are working too hard or you are not managing your time effectively...... Nice for all to have a day free to share and to not think about work, bills or shopping.

HOLA4425

Sorry but people can find the time to do anything they want to if they want to....fitting shopping into six days in one week can be done if there is a will, depends what your priorities are....there are 24 hour opening supermarkets and yes I have been shopping whilst the night workers have been filling the shelves, there are shops that will deliver at set time slots into late evenings......either you are working too hard or you are not managing your time effectively...... Nice for all to have a day free to share and to not think about work, bills or shopping.

There are now.

I was not arguing for longer hours I was pointing out that Sunday trading at the time was the only time I could shop unless I was going to junk my only hobby of following football which took up the whole of Saturday with the travel.

I did not have flexible working and had a long commute so could not physically get to the supermarket near my home during the working week.

Now no problem whatsoever, open late in the evenings and I have a car. But I'm sure there are some people today who still, as I used to, have a genuine requirement to go shopping on a Sunday that has nothing to do with consumerism.

Archived