• Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Also, is it a problem if too low?

It's not a problem at all for most people. People are all different. Obviously if you are diabetic you should know. a "doctor" failed to diagnose this in a mate of mine for ten years. :( Now he's careful with his diet and quite much more happy

HOLA447
HOLA448

Post heart-attack my dad's surgeon made a point that it was probably the smoking, despite high cholesterol. Smoking, he was very clear, was far ahead of all the other factors. I imagine, having seen and navigated the plumbing of some hundreds possibly thousands of people, gives you a better picture than most to give such advice. It was duly noted, and he's been giving up ever since.

It's probably true, since it shrinks arteries. Cholesterol is not entirely the villain it is claimed to be. And vis a vis the tirade against statins, it does have side effects. Adverse effects on muscles, in some people, is well known.

But as with all things, moderation is the key. All these medications help you manage blood pressure, but you must monitor the effects and take frequent blood tests.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Mr B's was on the high side a few years ago. He cut down a lot on cheese and any sort of fat, and rarely has cream any more (was a bit of a pig for cheese and cream) and cut down his food intake generally. He wasn't really overweight, but wasn't exactly skinny, either - the doc said that if he lost weight the cholesterol would come down. And it did, quite a lot.

He was also having one of those cholesterol-lowering drinks every day - still does.

HOLA4412

I get most of my fat from flax seeds, a couple of brazil nuts, and a couple of handfuls of pistachios a day. Oh and the odd avocado.

If you ate mostly unprocessed plant food and only got your fats from the sources above, I bet your cholesterol would drop significantly.

HOLA4413

Thanks for the tips, chaps. But I can't really say I'm any less confused than I was!

The plan:

- don't worry about this stuff

- quit the fags (I'm not a heavy smoker but, it's probably time to bin it totally)

- lean towards veggie (limit meat to one or two meals a week, and fish for two meals)

- have a bowl of fruit and nut mix stuff to nibble

- complete veto on ready made biscuits, buns, sweets, etc (but I reserve the right to bake every now and then)

- complete veto on processed food

- make wholemeal bread instead of white

- limit coffee to three cups a day

- make sure that cycling doesn't fall below 100 miles a week (will need mental focus now I'm not commuting)

- get outside everyday (either cycling or garden work)

- maybe consider a fast (10 day) as a regular one off or the 5-2 thing

- look into relaxation and mediation stuff.

HOLA4414

Try a ridiculously clean diet (pretty much all unprocessed plant food), for a month, and then get your cholesterol measured at the end of that month.

Even if you find it hard work, think 'it's only for a month', just to see if it makes any measurable difference.

HOLA4415

Thanks for the tips, chaps. But I can't really say I'm any less confused than I was!

The plan:

- quit the fags (I'm not a heavy smoker but, it's probably time to bin it totally)

- lean towards veggie (limit meat to one or two meals a week, and fish for two meals)

- complete veto on ready made biscuits, buns, sweets, etc (but I reserve the right to bake every now and then)

- make sure that cycling doesn't fall below 100 miles a week (will need mental focus now I'm not commuting)

If you followed all the advice on here you would probably be dead in 3 weeks.

Different things work for different people, so buy a batch of home test kits and try different regimes until you find one that works.

Some universal things though that I think most would agree on.

i) Quit the fags.

ii) Exercise is good.

iii) Refined/processed food is bad.

Some things that I would say that probably a lot would not agree on.

i) Bread is nutritional junk. Don't switch, avoid.

ii) Cut down on booze where possible.

iii) Three cups of coffee a day - I guess that depends. 3 large Costa cappacino per day ?

HOLA4416

The plan:

I should get my cholesterol down.

Best current plan is to get a dog. Someone who'll give me a real reason to get out and do longer walkies at least a couple of times a day, now that I no longer commute to work.

For that, I need to move house, and probably own rather than rent.

Damn.

[edit to add] p.s. What counts as "processed food" when the Chattering Classes rabbit on about what's bad for us? Pretty-much anything you can buy is processed, even if only (as in the least-processed of fresh fruit&veg) to prolong their shelf life. Where[1] do you draw the line?

[1] And How, and Why?

HOLA4417

[edit to add] p.s. What counts as "processed food" when the Chattering Classes rabbit on about what's bad for us? Pretty-much anything you can buy is processed, even if only (as in the least-processed of fresh fruit&veg) to prolong their shelf life. Where[1] do you draw the line?

The easiest way to think of it is:

- is this something I could grow or kill?

- how many ingredients does it have? ideally, it should only have one.

For example I'm just back from the gym, and beforehand I had a bannana, some flaxseeds and some oats. Had an apple afterwards. Yes I had several different things but each one only had a single ingredient.

HOLA4418

I should get my cholesterol down.

Best current plan is to get a dog. Someone who'll give me a real reason to get out and do longer walkies at least a couple of times a day, now that I no longer commute to work.

For that, I need to move house, and probably own rather than rent.

Damn.

[1] And How, and Why?

"Dont eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldnt recognize as food."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&referer=

HOLA4419

[1] And How, and Why?

You've spotted a linguistic shorthand that is not explicit in meaning. It's a very poor term and I shouldn't have used it.

If I look in my larder now, it's mainly stuff that my grandmother or great grandmother would have recognised as food; vegetables, fish, meat, dairy, bags of flour etc, pots of herbs and spices, and so on. This is what I want to eat. However, there's also Stuff Masquerading As Food in there - and this is what I want to veto. Examples include: ready made pasta sauces, some off the shelf creme caramels, a family pack of Hula Hoops, some Jaffa Cakes, and in the freezer various pies.

And I'm a relatively clean eater. Some of the stuff I see in the supermarket I barely recognise as food. Toffee Crisp breakfast cereal, fudge brownie flavoured milk, Primula cheese spread with ham - to name but three from a quick browse (I sure there are worse).

HOLA4420

"Dont eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldnt recognize as food."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&referer=

Damn. How can I survive without pulses? And with no pasta, nor rice apart from very plain white stuff? Let alone anything exotic!

You've spotted a linguistic shorthand that is not explicit in meaning. It's a very poor term and I shouldn't have used it.

If I look in my larder now, it's mainly stuff that my grandmother or great grandmother would have recognised as food; vegetables, fish, meat, dairy, bags of flour etc, pots of herbs and spices, and so on. This is what I want to eat. However, there's also Stuff Masquerading As Food in there - and this is what I want to veto. Examples include: ready made pasta sauces, some off the shelf creme caramels, a family pack of Hula Hoops, some Jaffa Cakes, and in the freezer various pies.

And I'm a relatively clean eater. Some of the stuff I see in the supermarket I barely recognise as food. Toffee Crisp breakfast cereal, fudge brownie flavoured milk, Primula cheese spread with ham - to name but three from a quick browse (I sure there are worse).

Hehe. That particular usage always bugs me a bit, precisely because it's unclear. Even if we assume my fresh veg count as non-processed, they're clearly processed once I've stir-fried them, or poured on a sauce. Or even just dipped them in a highly processed food such as hummus (whether homemade or bought). The implication would seem to be that a pack of lard should be healthier than my moroccan couscous or similar lunchtime treat!

Which side of the fence do things like normal cheese or yoghurt fall in your world? I eat too much of them.

How (other than just taste) is a readymade pasta sauce so much worse than a sauce I make in my kitchen and eat on pasta? Let's say my sauce contains a mix of ingredients bought in a raw state (e.g. onions, mushrooms, pine kernels) and already-processed (e.g. cream, cheese)?

And ... hmmm. Can't go back any further than my grandmother, but she was a great one for baking various goodies. Jaffa cakes would have seemed entirely normal (if rather unexciting) to her. Would always serve something home-baked and delicious with coffee. Turned a blind eye to grandchildren surreptitiously raiding the larder, too.

HOLA4421

Oh well, it`s good that you can do pilates anyway.

You`ve done every kind of therapy I suppose...

...and then some. My first big mistake was having a stroke before the thrombolysis protocols were in place. I was born ten years too soon!

HOLA4422

i) Bread is nutritional junk. Don't switch, avoid.

Nonsense, home-made wholemeal bread (consumed in moderation) is not nutritional junk at all, it's healthy and very nutritious.

Just make sure the flour is organic as these days most non-organic flour is contaminated with glyphosate/Round-up (which is the real cause of the current gluten intolerance epidemic).

ii) Cut down on booze where possible.

iii) Three cups of coffee a day - I guess that depends. 3 large Costa cappacino per day ?

Coffee and booze on the other hand are junk to be avoided at all cost.

HOLA4423

The Twinkie diet:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

The data doesn't lie.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

Cholesterol went back up when the Professor re-introduced meat to the diet.

On special at Tescos £4 for 10:

http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=281612923

HOLA4424

Well, I have a particular bug bear and that is all the seeds for grow your own are getting sweeter and sweeter. Sweet corn, peas, strawberries, tomatoes, you name it, they are all becoming sweeter.

Ummm ... those things are supposed to be sweet, and loss of sweetness comes from force-the-quantity-never-mind-the-quality growing (except strawberries, which can go tasteless if the weather's bad).

The body needs sugar, and fruit is a major natural source.

Talking of which, far and away the most horribly over-sweetened food I've encountered in many years was NHS food, when they detained me four days in hospital last year. Among the desserts, even the yoghurt was ten times sweeter than a regular supermarket one.

HOLA4425

Archived