House Price Crash Forum

Bad Weather

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

Looking at the rainfall for this week at Balater i think this thursday's upcoming deluge would be the danger.

Plenty of fresh flooding up there today Coupar Angus now flooded

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35221823

Some real devastation in those pictures.

I don't think we have seen anything yet, as in the past the pre-xmas floods can seem bad but January's weather has often brought alot worse.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

It happens. "Meant" is stretching it.

Not really - rivers move course - its what they do - they are giant eroding machines - and nothing erodes better than millions of litres of water flowing through constantly.

You could look at this the other way - that castles stood there right beside that river for about 400 years and survived up until now. That's pretty good considering how much rainfall and high rivers you get in that area every year.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Well it is on purpose and by design - is it not ?

Nature works over time on getting a river to the sea in as quick a way as possible.

Which is why you find following water up a hill is always the most direct route - but also steepest !

HOLA447
HOLA448

I am far from religious.

However I cant believe you don't think nature has 'purpose or design' ?

Why are conscious decisions required for that ?

Having the desire to have sex with the opposite sex clearly has its 'purpose'.

A bird having hollow lightweight bones is clearly a 'design'.

I suppose you just have a different opinion on what these words mean.

HOLA449

"Purpose" to me is something done for a reason, and "design" is something deliberately created (it can't be a design if no-one designed it). I'm probably a bit more flexible on "purpose" (your example being reasonable enough I think), but I doubt that I'd go as far as saying that the behaviour of a river has any purpose, it just is what it is. Saying that the purpose of a river is to erode sounds like you're saying that it was deliberately put there for that reason.

Anyway that's my take on the meaning of those words.

HOLA4410

"Purpose" to me is something done for a reason, and "design" is something deliberately created (it can't be a design if no-one designed it). I'm probably a bit more flexible on "purpose" (your example being reasonable enough I think), but I doubt that I'd go as far as saying that the behaviour of a river has any purpose, it just is what it is. Saying that the purpose of a river is to erode sounds like you're saying that it was deliberately put there for that reason.

Anyway that's my take on the meaning of those words.

I would say its purpose was to let gravity have its way with it and that the design stems from iterations of rainfall allowing erosion to alter the path of least resistance.

HOLA4411

Ok I have probably led this down a pedantic path :)

Anyway - in a simple way - shit like this happens beside rivers - unless you put serious effort into stopping it. Even then - it will eventually win over.

I reckon whoever built this in 1620 would be pretty happy it's lasted this long ?

Pretty impressive stuff really. Shame of course if it goes. Must have driven past there loads of times - can't think if it though.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

This fecking rain. Seriously, and I live in Newcastle which isn't even badly hit.

We've had heavy rain for days.

The ground reached saturation last night about 6pm.

The local FB groups all started asking for sandbag and the road flooding.

All down to rain run off. Not the sea. Not rivers - although a couple of culverted becks in town burst.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/our-region/north-yorkshire-moors-and-coast/whitby/sandbags-at-the-ready-as-whitby-prepares-to-tackle-flooding-threat-1-7656068

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2016-01-04/whitby-cut-off-by-unprecedented-levels-of-flooding/

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I wonder what -if any - foundations that 'castle' has.

One report i read quoted the Laird who lived there saying "the problem with these old buildings is they don't have much foundations"

Can't see it staying up much longer, experts were due to structurally assess it this morning.

HOLA4420

One report i read quoted the Laird who lived there saying "the problem with these old buildings is they don't have much foundations"

To be fair, he was probably bewildered. If you're not used to being interviewed, you get asked a question to which you have no meaningful answer. Just replying with the bleedin' obvious seems dumb, so you react by going blank and say something dumber.

HOLA4421

This fecking rain. Seriously, and I live in Newcastle which isn't even badly hit.

I drove from Darlington to Newcastle last night, and it was scary! I left early to come back as I thought there was a chance I wouldn't make it if I left it any longer.

HOLA4422

Where I parked the car yesterday, in a suburb of SE London, the ground was liquid mud. The local geology is gravel over chalk, that should be the best draining soil there is. The sort of conditions that geographers invented the term 'dry valley' for. The water table is now at the surface. No risk of flooding in this particular location but I am jolly glad I live on a hill like a sensible person.

HOLA4423

30th March 2012 we were at Adventure Valley near Durham. The temperature was well into the twenties and the official declaration of a drought was imminent.

I think it's rained pretty much ever since.

HOLA4424

I drove from Darlington to Newcastle last night, and it was scary! I left early to come back as I thought there was a chance I wouldn't make it if I left it any longer.

Strangely the A1 Western bypass wasn't slow, probably because of all the problems around the Testo roundabout closer to Sunderland. I had to take a few detours around Ouston (small village) as a few of the roads were flooded). Quite pleased my car has good ground clearance should I need it, rather not risk it though of course. Some aqua planing on bigger roads too, with BMW drivers thinking they're immune to it of course.

HOLA4425

30th March 2012 we were at Adventure Valley near Durham. The temperature was well into the twenties and the official declaration of a drought was imminent.

I think it's rained pretty much ever since.

Is that the one next to the prison? Pretty cool birds of prey. Not sure I bought the "these birds don't mind sitting still as that's what they do in the wild too" information plaques. Good fun on the pedal cars.

Archived